Residency certificate needed for driving license renewal?

1 minute ago, seajae said:

yes, I have a yellow book but they told me I had to have a residencey certificate, supposed to be free but I was charged 500 baht with no receipt, maybe it is a con worked out between the 2 departments because a yellow book should be good enough

Do you live on Samui? Heard from a friend corruption is awful over there. In Chiang Mai the situation is much better now compared to a few years ago.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seajae said:

yes, I have a yellow book but they told me I had to have a residencey certificate, supposed to be free but I was charged 500 baht with no receipt, maybe it is a con worked out between the 2 departments because a yellow book should be good enough

I get mine is Sriracha, it costs 300 (no receipt) but they do it instantly, the one I got last week I was there for less than 10 minutes.

I got mine on Friday 29/11/19 for drivers licence renewal at Ratchaburi, ฿500, no receipt.

The first one, two years ago at Ratchaburi was free, but all new IO's at the office now and the fee was requested when my wife asked about the CoR and the IO was quick to mention no receipt.

The good news was it was issued in 15 mins while we waited after my wife had made a TM30 report for me after being out of the country.

15 hours ago, seajae said:

Yellow book usually only works if that is the document you used to get original license. If you use yellow book originally then your ID number is on your license rather than passport number. if its passport number on license, then its a Res Cert.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

It can vary from one local branch of the Land Transportation Department to another.

This is true.

Also within the same province, my LTD office insists the residence cert comes from the UK Embassy in Bangkok, even though I could get one from city hall in Kanchanaburi. None of the immigration offices issue them at all here, only place is city hall. Consistently inconsistent. 

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

In Pattaya yes and also medical . Though for some reason it was needed 2 months ago but not needed 1 month ago

Do you need 2 RCs, for both car and motorbike licences, or just the one? I never know with this lot.  Sometimes one, plus a photo copy is enough, but not on every occasion.

Last month I renewed my auto and motorcycle DLs at the the Khet Talingchan Bangkok Land Transport Office.  Although I have renewed twice at this office "without" the need for residency letter (maybe because I would always show my Yellow Book) I decided I wanted to get a letter just in case, to see what the letter looked like, see how long it took to get from my immigration office which is CW, letter cost, etc.  Plus, I had seen a lot more reports over the  last years from DLs offices around Thailand seeming to ask more frequently for the residency letter.  As mentioned I had never provided a residency letter in the past...I would just show my Yellow Book & passport and they were happy enough with that.

As mentioned, my servicing immigration office is CW.  To get the residency letter CW required completion of a one page form used for the purpose (which they provide at CW).  The form is specifically for renewing an auto/motorcycle license or for selling/buying a car/motorcycle.  It states those two purposes on the form.  With the form you attach a copy of your passport main page/visa/extension, last 90 day address report receipt, last TM30 receipt, and copy of my two licenses....or at least that what they required from me.    Took about 5 to 10 minute to do this in their Area B and then I was given an appt slip to come back in three weeks.  No fee was charged for this submission...and I even asked, "Any fee"....answer was "No Fee...Free."

I came back in three weeks.....went directly to Area B (no queue number needed other than the appt slip given to you by the Area B folks when taking your application), the Area B rep pulled out two completed letters, one for my auto license, one for my motorcycle license,  gave them to me, out the door I go.  No fee to get the letters.   Both letters are totally in the Thai language...no English.  Keep in mind you apparently can not get the letter same day you apply....it takes several weeks...so plan ahead.

At the DL office I provided the letters with my auto and motorcycle license application forms along with a copy of my Yellow Book and copy of my passport main page/visa/extension of stay...and successfully got my license later that day.  None of my paperwork was questioned...no resistance of any kind. 

I "do not" know if a residency letter was "required"....I didn't ask...I didn'td see any English signs saying what was required....I just provided the residency letter to be on the safe side.

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Do you need 2 RCs, for both car and motorbike licences, or just the one? I never know with this lot.  Sometimes one, plus a photo copy is enough, but not on every occasion.

You will need two if getting two licenses renewed.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

Thank you.  No logic to that of course, but when has that ever mattered. 

When apply for the letters the CW rep asked if this was for an auto or motorcycle as the rep needed to circle which one on the application form.  When I said both the rep then circled both...and I ended up getting two letters.  Per my Thai wife who read the letters which were totally in Thai, in the letter for my auto license it stated auto license in the paragraph text of the letter....on the letter for my motorcycle it stated my motorcycle license. 

And when I was applying at the DL office I mistakenly included a copy of the residency letter for my auto license with my motorcycle application and the DL rep spotted that....pointed that out.  I said Whoops and then gave him the letter stating motorcycle license....that made him happy.

Your results at your immigration office may (will) vary as This Is Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozfarang said:

I got mine on Friday 29/11/19 for drivers licence renewal at Ratchaburi, ฿500, no receipt.

The first one, two years ago at Ratchaburi was free, but all new IO's at the office now and the fee was requested when my wife asked about the CoR and the IO was quick to mention no receipt.

The good news was it was issued in 15 mins while we waited after my wife had made a TM30 report for me after being out of the country.

Forgot to mention, when I handed my completed CoR form and one photo the IO  he handed back my completed form, took the photo and asked for my nearly expired drivers licence. As I mentioned my previous post pick up my CoR with my drivers licence 15 mins later.

Amazing Thailand, nothing is consistent with government departments, each year different, each office different. You just have to go with the flow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

You will need two if getting two licenses renewed.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Thank you.  No logic to that of course, but when has that ever mattered. 

At Pattaya DLT they used to (still do?) accept one original and one copy if you were doing the 2 licences together.

Also at Jomtien Immigration the charge for a Residence Cert. was 300 baht earlier this year - not sure why a previous poster was supposedly charged 365 baht. You also get it on the same day you apply. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, topt said:

was supposedly charged 365 baht. You also get it on the same day you apply. 

Maybe the extra 65 was for photos...I'm very happy to pay Jomtien 300 baht to get the residency certificate in 20 minutes compared to 3 weeks !!!!

One thing to be careful of though is that they spell your name correctly, passport number is correct and  correct address

last time I had all 3 of these wrong  they reprinted 2 x  and even I overlooked the 3rd mistake   so now my drivers licence has the wrong house number !!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Chon buri two weeks ago...ONE Res Cert (300 baht) ONE Med cert (100 baht)  plus all other bits and bobs...second set ALL photocopied and LTO entirely happy.

P

• Thanks 1

As you all say the residency letter is treated differently by every office around. That said it is free by law. It has been repeated to death in the news and from the bosses of different immigration offices around the country in the news. Mention that and normally you dont have to pay. Unless the law has changed last year or so of course...