One killed, another injured in road safety exercise in Korat

webfact

3 hours ago, MartinL said:

Ever heard of driving to suit the conditions? A speed below the speed limit isn't necessarily an appropriate speed. A thinking truck driver (or any driver) would realise a lane ahead was blocked, that other vehicles might be pulling out to get past the obstruction and reduce speed to make allowance for possible stupid moves.

excellently put but therein lies the root problem,. in order to accomplish that one needs some ability to analyze the situation and think laterally. the "critical thinking void" along with lack of discipline will continue to = death on the roads.

• Like 2

I know exactly this spot near me in Phimai. They changed the junction (see yellow lines) in response to a 5 person fatality recently when some moron did a U turn in front of a lorry. They can change the junction but what they really need to change is the poor average IQ prevalent in drivers.

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

There is a discrepancy here between the narrative and the photograph. The report says:

However, studying the photo, it is apparent that she collided with left hand side of the truck. You can see her remains mid section. Also the positioning of the cones looking back up the road indicate that the left hand lane was coned off, thereby forcing the motorcyclist to 'pull out to the right', not 'pull out from the right'. (one small word can make a big difference in meaning)

I would suggest that the unfortunate lady pulled out from her usual riding position on the left, without checking and broadsided into the truck. The truck driver could do nothing prevent this at all.

I beg to differ, if I may, as far as the truck is concerned.. It is said he was going at high speed ... how could he as he would  also have to swerve to the right due to L/lane closure. Questions are: who was the first vehicle to enter the R/lane : truck or bike ?  If it was the truck, the bike should have seen it, being behind it. On the other hand if it was the bike, then the truck would have overtaken the bike and destabilize the rider.. 

In any case the fault seems to be the driver’s. Yet one can also sue the Police for unwillingly causing this accident to occur, through ignorance and mismanagement. Police could be sued for manslaughter.. 

Ah .. sorry where was I ..? LOA (... of Accidents), of course

12 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

At least this one didn't have a baby sitting up front. 

But I've seen a man,woman two children a baby in the woman's arms all on the motor cycle and all could be wiped out .There's no thinking of what could happen and nothing is done about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Percy P said:

But I've seen a man,woman two children a baby in the woman's arms all on the motor cycle and all could be wiped out .There's no thinking of what could happen and nothing is done about it.

You even see Westerns on scooters here with kids on them.

Must be retards. 

19 hours ago, seajae said:

thought bikes were supposed to stay in the left lane, sorry for the poor lady but she should have been in the left lane and did she check her mirrors as well as indicate to merge left, highly doubt it as not many bike riders use mirrors or indicators here. As for the truck driver, nothing unusual, they always speed and dont take notice of other road users, he needs to be charged for her death as well as loss of licence. The biggest problem is they do not put out signs before getting to these areas that a lane is closed for police checks, they have witches hats 50 metres before you get to them and thats all the warning you get, no lights and no signs, their idea of safety is a joke

Mirrors probably lost long ago, Moobaan bikes never have mirrors , they just proceed without a though

4 hours ago, Mangkhut said:

Well - if you change lanes you have to:

A - check the mirrors for traffic in the lane youre thinking about entering.

B - turn youre head around and have a good look into the lane you plan to enter and check again for traffic. 
Then if its clear you can change lane

Sure, if you've had driver training to any standard that would be the correct thing to do... 

But as you noted correctly, this is Thailand !!

20 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The left lane was blocked off !! Where was she supposed to go ?? I guess, just a guess, that she pulled out to the right and Mr Speeding truck driver ploughed into her from behind !! If she had been in a car, the truck would have probably destroyed that too... 

Just a guess ????

Look ahead and use your brakes. Thais seem to refuse to use their brakes.

18 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

One of those stupidly arranged roadblocks again? Just block off a lane with no advanced warning or lane merging.... common sense is unfortunately uncommon here.

And how often are you going along in the right hand lane when a cone or two appear as hedge cutting is happening on the median strip ?

21 hours ago, seajae said:

thought bikes were supposed to stay in the left lane, sorry for the poor lady but she should have been in the left lane and did she check her mirrors as well as indicate to merge left, highly doubt it as not many bike riders use mirrors or indicators here. As for the truck driver, nothing unusual, they always speed and dont take notice of other road users, he needs to be charged for her death as well as loss of licence. The biggest problem is they do not put out signs before getting to these areas that a lane is closed for police checks, they have witches hats 50 metres before you get to them and thats all the warning you get, no lights and no signs, their idea of safety is a joke

Mostly true except for the bike riders not using their mirrors. They use them constantly to look at themselves, fix their hair, pick at their skin..............

19 hours ago, Moonlover said:

There is a discrepancy here between the narrative and the photograph. The report says:

However, studying the photo, it is apparent that she collided with left hand side of the truck. You can see her remains mid section. Also the positioning of the cones looking back up the road indicate that the left hand lane was coned off, thereby forcing the motorcyclist to 'pull out to the right', not 'pull out from the right'. (one small word can make a big difference in meaning)

I would suggest that the unfortunate lady pulled out from her usual riding position on the left, without checking and broadsided into the truck. The truck driver could do nothing prevent this at all.

I agree,but these bike riders ... what happened to mirror,indicate,manoeuvre?

Many times you'll se at a road obstruction, for example they working there on the right side, they stay at the same point, and give sign you'll have to go to the left.

They are apparently not aware of it to stay at least 300 mtr back, many time you will see this.

At that moment I have my reservations to the Thais, and that happens quite often.

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

excellently put but therein lies the root problem,. in order to accomplish that one needs some ability to analyze the situation and think laterally. the "critical thinking void" along with lack of discipline will continue to = death on the roads.

We call that participating, but a Thai don't have that in his dictionary.

I always say I have to think for myself but also for them at the same time.

22 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The left lane was blocked off !! Where was she supposed to go ?? I guess, just a guess, that she pulled out to the right and Mr Speeding truck driver ploughed into her from behind !! If she had been in a car, the truck would have probably destroyed that too... 

Just a guess ????

.....and if she would have used her mirror or turned her head? Probably would have saved her life. 

If there was an Olympics for maneuvering a motorbike, Thailand would be neck-to-neck with the Vietnamese for the gold medal. Thais are VERY talented (albeit not very mindful) motorcyclists. While Vietnam remains a country of motorcycles, Thai's have switched to cars. They avoid studying for the drivers test by taking the written test at a driving school to get their license and it's at those schools where the instructors give the Thais the answers. Fail and take the test again until you pass. No studying required. It's like playing a video game with unlimited lives. Then when the Thai graduate get's their license, they have no knowledge of road safety or the physics of driving a car or large vehicle. Thus, as many of you have cited, Thai drive all vehicles as if they were as agile as a motorbike. 

Unfortunately, farang are idiots too! Yes, I'm talking about you whitey! How many foreigners have you seen rent a scooter and say, "Oh, riding a scooter is like riding a bicycle!" Famous last words as they crash and get the famous "thai tattoo" (i.e. road rash). 

Gets killed at a road safety exercise.... You could not make it up. - Only in Thailand.

And the police who set up this exercise have accepted responsibility? I thought not. - Only in Thailand.

It appears they just go without thinking. Where is their mind?

Edited by DaRoadrunner

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And highly likely texting, have seen it many times while they are riding motorbikes

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

I rode with a truck once delivering a container to my house.

He drank red bull all the time , chain smoked and talked on his cell phone.

He nearly knocked several bikes over during the drive, he was overtaking then being overtook by the truck he just passed, in the end I was so terrified I rang my wife to speak to him and she told him to slow down, amazing but he did.

It was the most terrifying ride I have been on in my life.

The amazing thing here is that the police conducting this exercise should have slowed traffic down with road control signs and police on the ground.

very sad ,RIP is all you can say for the victim .

Anyone with half a brain ( and that's where the problem lies ) would normally slow down seeing half a roadway cordoned off 

Unfortunately the Police and Emergency workers helped cause the accident, see it all the time here, poor signage, no proper control of the check point, no warning signs before the check point, people waving they hands around like Michael Jackson.  etc, etc. TIT. RIP lady.

• Like 1