Where to go in Eastern Europe for an Expat???

7 minutes ago, SimpleMan555 said:

I attended university in Alamosa and lived in Crested Butte...they are some of the coldest places in the Rocky Mountain region, (-35 or lower is possible)...

Checkout Salida & Buena Vista Colorado, 1+ hour north of Alamosa and much more temperate. Today the temperature is 40f/20f. Good community, hospitals, shopping etc and very close to many outdoor activities.

Was considering Monte Vista, as it is one of the few places with fairly cheap real estate. An 89 year old died and they were selling her 1906 bungalow for 50k on a 10,000 st lot.  Thought it would be a fun summer hangout.  Otherwise, Fowler, Rocky Ford still cheap, but the Plains seem kind of dead.  Any thoughts on Walsenburg or Trinidad?

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Ukraine seems popular to hang out cheaply for awhile though residency would be difficult. 

I have a friend who lives in Odessa, Ukraine.  He married a Ukraine woman, and said living there is such cheaper than Thailand, but the winters are brutal.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CMNightRider said:

I have a friend who lives in Odessa, Ukraine.  He married a Ukraine woman, and said living there is such cheaper than Thailand, but the winters are brutal.   

Yes, I've heard that too.

I was kind of wondering if I could get residency there based on my background but not enough to research it as I can't see really wanting to live there permanently. The winters and the food which is OK for awhile but I think too boring in the long term. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Go to Oz. I promise you will be warm. 44 C in Melbourne right now. Cool change will drop it to 20 C in a few hours.

Um, he did say somewhere affordable, if not cheap.

Australia is not cheap, and not part of eastern Europe last time I checked. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Slovenia is most certainly worth spending a peaceful and inexpensive holiday. It has some beautiful views and fascinating towns like Ljubljana. Americans do not need a visa for a visit to Slovenia. Like most places in Eastern, Northern and Central Europe, it's cold in the winter.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chivas said:

Went to Bulgaria ( Golden Sands) earlier this year on an all inclusive deal with my lad. What a laugh indeed. Its the cheapest country in Europe anyway even if you're not all inclusive.....very clean beautiful beaches nice and hot end of June.

As this is Thaivisa I cant say too much but the females are lovely lol

No visa required and wont be for OP either

Yep, almost like "home".

Allied with the Axis in WW2.

Rated as "the most corrupt " of all countries allied with or occupied by Germany, according to SS WVHA (SS Main Economic and Administrative Office).

Very low average incomes.

But:

Prostitution in Bulgaria - Wikipedia

Legal

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was in Bulgaria two years ago, in winter, holidaying with my eldest son. He owns an apartment in a small town called Pomporovo, a small ski resort in the mountains.  Very beautiful there and a drive of 2 hours or so from Sofia.  Sofia is a fun place, a really good vibe, loads of clubs and pubs and good restaurants and some excellent hotels.  (Good) English is widely spoken. Bulgaria is very inexpensive if you are travelling with hard currency and I would recommend a visit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Slovenia is most certainly worth spending a peaceful and inexpensive holiday. It has some beautiful views and fascinating towns like Ljubljana. Americans do not need a visa for a visit to Slovenia. Like most places in Eastern, Northern and Central Europe, it's cold in the winter.

Has great skiing. Kranskja Gora is a dream place summer and winter.

If you want winter magic (hmmm, actually magic any time of the year) visit Prague. Traveled through Prague at least twice a year for 20 years on my way to and from Olomouc in Moravia (2nd only to Prague in the number of historical buildings). Olomouc is 3 hours from Praha, Vienna, Kracow. 1 1/2 hours fro Bratislava an 6 hours from Budapest. Decent person, I recommend. No gooder, I want you to stay away as the czech republic is the 2nd home of my heart.

11 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

According to the cost of living index Odessa is cheaper than Bangkok-----the exception being restaurant prices.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

sad you don't even know normal temperatures, just in case you don't know

we live in the real world.

that makes a lot of sense. Lol. What's a normal temperature?

26 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

quote in Celsius not like you country

Lol. Ok, 0C. Most of us in the USA can use both. Unlike apparently you.

But hey, us Septic Tanks can do what we want regardless. Cuz we are yanks. I'll put a gallon of GAS in the gas tank and drive for...miles!

• Haha 2

Ukraine is cheap, safe, friendly.
People there are very serious, but very nice people, nevertheless.

In Lviv you are close to Hungary and Poland, and the rest of Europe by train.

Yes, it is cheaper than Thailand, and less hassle.

Food is basic, many things are basic, but its a good place to be.

Edited by toast1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Lol. Ok, 0C. Most of us in the USA can use both. Unlike apparently you.

But hey, us Septic Tanks can do what we want regardless. Cuz we are yanks. I'll put a gallon of GAS in the gas tank and drive for...miles!

But hey in the civilized world we put liters of petrol in the tank 

and we can drive for kilometers.