Not complying with rental contract

@don chance

hi, I am worried this might be the tenants response “why does it matter”. Then I feel pushed into a corner having to justify why I  wrote this clause in the contract. 

When we rented it we had our reasons. The tenant is a lovely person, but I wrote a detailed contract to avoid argument later in and we both signed this.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, STD Warehouse said:

@don chance

hi, I am worried this might be the tenants response “why does it matter”. Then I feel pushed into a corner having to justify why I  wrote this clause in the contract. 

When we rented it we had our reasons. The tenant is a lovely person, but I wrote a detailed contract to avoid argument later in and we both signed this.

Is contract in English or Thai ?

thing is and I do not really know legality of it , you agreed to allow sublet but limiting time frame for it.

technically, if original tenant was to rent it for 90 days and renew it each time he/she would not be in breach.

if you getting g good rental and property has been renovated and well kept, maybe better to leave it alone and enjoy stability .

you could contact OCPB and ask them , they will give you correct information 

Edited by BestB

A registered lease at the land office definitely holds more power than one thats not. Sounds like it is breach of contract. We have a registered lease also at the LO. Theres a clause in there about no sub letting. 

If the house is being looked after and rent is being paid on time what do you care about long term sub letting? 

19 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Really? Show where that is stated.

Best to stop repeating things parrot fashion. Better to understand them first.

It was discussed in the media and with various statement by gov't. agencies many months ago, then the gov't made Airbnb illegal, perhaps 6 - 8  months ago.

From my understanding, the eventual 'illegal' policy was because of strangers continuously coming / changing in condo buildings and other live-in owners very concerned about safety and security, noise and more.

22 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

A registered lease at the land office definitely holds more power than one thats not. Sounds like it is breach of contract. We have a registered lease also at the LO. Theres a clause in there about no sub letting. 

If the house is being looked after and rent is being paid on time what do you care about long term sub letting? 

In any event a good rental agreement should have clauses about what happens if the owner sells the property, plus clauses indicating that the new own can request / insist the current renter leave or insist they leave at the end of the rental contract, which is a reason why signing rental agreements with a long-term life e.g. 5 years or no end date are unwise and possibly even illegal, especially 'no end date'.  

20 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

AIRbnb for 1 night is against Thai law,

Thanks for this info.

I live in a housing estate and some of the houses have daily rentals causing a big problem for me and my neighbours.

Our housing estate is only a sort distance to beaches and town so it is very popular for large groups to occupy the larger houses, sometimes up tp 20 people.

Could you please provide more information regarding this law.

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thanks for this info.

I live in a housing estate and some of the houses have daily rentals causing a big problem for me and my neighbours.

Our housing estate is only a sort distance to beaches and town so it is very popular for large groups to occupy the larger houses, sometimes up tp 20 people.

https://thethaiger.com/news/airbnb-illegal-for-daily-and-weekly-rentals-in-thailand

https://thepattayanews.com/2018/05/16/thai-court-rules-airbnb-against-the-law-in-thailand-for-daily-and-weekly-rentals-banned/

• Like 1

Well i hope you dont try to find a reason to take back the condo after he renovated it and upped the rental prices. I hope you aint being jealous because he has been smart to make more money than you. Kinda sounds like that.

• Like 1

OP sounds like you’ve got a good working agreement with the tenant with the upgrades seems to be a good responsible tenant.

Have a Chat with the tenant point out the clause and ask what is 

reason for not sticking to the clause... maybe it financial???

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

It could be that the OP was planning on the property developing as an AB&B rental he could use and generate revenue from once the tenant’s lease ran out. 

He said he rented out for 8 years , doubt That’s the reason . I think he might be worried original tenant

could not make money from doing daily so rented out long term and will just walk away and OP would be left with a new tenant mess but no contract between him and new tenant 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:
23 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thanks for this info.

https://thethaiger.com/news/airbnb-illegal-for-daily-and-weekly-rentals-in-thailand

https://thepattayanews.com/2018/05/16/thai-court-rules-airbnb-against-the-law-in-thailand-for-daily-and-weekly-rentals-banned/

Thanks for the links.

These links are referring to rooms / Condominiums.

Does it also apply to housing developments?

Edited by SAFETY FIRST