Almost Denied Entry At Bangkok Airport

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

IMO, you were questioned by crazy DM io or selected by race or both. 

Not acceptable. Hope your next trip does not include bad experience. I'm thinking this is a once off from nutwit io.

I guess the DM IO was crazy, especially since he apparently reported for duty at Bangkok ( Suvarnabhumi) airport.

3 hours ago, Langkawee said:

It happens regularly for those who've visited Thailand. I'm too worried to risk it. I go to Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos. People are much much nicer. However Thailand accommodation can not be beaten on price/value.

But you can't stay in e.g. Singapore for months on end i.e. arrive in Nov and leave in Feb following year.

6 hours ago, SteveK said:

Thailand has always shown negativity and suspicion towards people of darker skin tones. 

Plus there is a good reason why all the rules are vague. It allows the Thai official at the time to interpret the rules however they see fit to try and cause upset and annoyance in the hope of extracting a "fee". If the rules were super clear, everyone would be able to follow them easily and no tea money would ever cometh.

Nicely put.

There is unfortunately a racist undercurrent amongst some Thai people who do judge by appearances and ethnicity. It's not that long ago that women in bars would describe a black man as "chocolate man". That in itself isn't particularly nasty but it does indicate how some Thais are brought up to think.

That attitude permeates into authority so that police and immigration officers also hold it.

Regrettable but true, but then, like it or not, we all have some element of racism in our makeup - it's human nature. It's how it manifests itself that's critical, IMO.

Couple that with @SteveK comment about tea money, and off we go!

Of course, I a Brit, cannot shout too loudly about racism considering the current and recent news - once again it's that some people who are guilty.

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2019 at 10:50 AM, jackdd said:

You didn't spend any time in Thailand in 2019 before this arrival?

I guess this was part of the problem:

i2ilm1S.jpg.2eb22bde66dc643d5a4e349bf6971998.jpg

it's very sad but that is why I asked his nationality in the question right above this. I met a guy in Laos who had been stuck there over a month waiting for a business visa, he was from kenya I believe and the embassy in Vientiane told him he would be waiting 2 months because of his nationality. 

• Sad 1

Yep i know what happened to you very grubby indeed.My chinese wife experienced similar ordeal in november.Later we read tea money is what you need to do.

Same with us we will look elsewhere. Note accomadation is no longer great value. Vietnam leaves Thailand for dead in that department.

It is funny that Thailand is totally dependent on tourism and whines when its numbers are down but makes it virtually impossible to get in/stay in the country....fact is Thais-especially the leaders-hate foreigners....sad to say but truth...to Thais, you are simply an invader....

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, tommyboy79 said:

It is funny that Thailand is totally dependent on tourism and whines when its numbers are down but makes it virtually impossible to get in/stay in the country....fact is Thais-especially the leaders-hate foreigners....sad to say but truth...to Thais, you are simply an invader....

Maybe you are dude, but they love me and roll out the red carpet for me. What I wonderful life I have! 

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2019 at 2:42 PM, NanLaew said:

I would place the surly blackshirts at LAX

Right? Right? Are those public "servants" the absolute most unsmilingish human beings on the face of the known universe? Horrible! I hate LAX. 

But its close to MedMen ????