No plastic bags crisis to hit Pattaya streets!

ferguston

1 hour ago, vogie said:

My local 7/11 here near Pattaya double bagged my beer last night.

Of Course... ! …. British amount of beer bottles are always double bagged , high needed ...????

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, brokenbone said:

how do i learn to carry out the trash without bags ?

Dont be a complete dinny fella. The point I made which only a 3 year wouldnt have grasped is that getting charged 20 baht for a bag the first time ensures the next time you go shopping you remember to take some with you

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

How many uses do I need out of my reusable (alternative to plastic) bag before it is more environmental friendlier?

Study found cotton to need over 7000 uses to compete environmentally with a single use plastic bag. 

It is sort a weird study because they are not taking the actual trash into account, I believe. 

But, 7000 is using it everyday for almost 20 years. 

https://qz.com/1585027/when-it-comes-to-climate-change-cotton-totes-might-be-worse-than-plastic/

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Dont be a complete dinny fella. The point I made which only a 3 year wouldnt have grasped is that getting charged 20 baht for a bag the first time ensures the next time you go shopping you remember to take some with you

that still didnt answer: how do i carry out the trash without continuous supply of trash bags ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

that still didnt answer: how do i carry out the trash without continuous supply of trash bags ?

burn it at  night when no one s looking.....seems  quite popular  round here, along with the sugar  cane and  following head  of  villages  advice

4 hours ago, brokenbone said:

nah, back in the good ole day they would use intestines

as condom, that way we get more use of lifestock, soi dogs etc,

i personally are in favor of a full ban of condoms

We used to use old push bike inner tubes with one end glued up.

36 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

use the smaller bags your food comes in.... an extra 20 or 30 trips to the garbage bin will do you good by the sounds of the amount of garbage you generate.

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

reusable bag. dump whats inside into the bin outside and reuse the bag on the inside bin.

its not rocket science. glad to solve that dilemma for you.

6 hours ago, fhickson said:

reusable bag. dump whats inside into the bin outside and reuse the bag on the inside bin.

its not rocket science. glad to solve that dilemma for you.

Always gives me a good guffaw when the rocket science line comes out ????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fhickson said:

went into 7-11 tonight. no bag.

old hags at the local market still putting every little thing in a plastic bag.

that,s where you should be put also...old hags....how would you like your mother to be called the same....

14 hours ago, fhickson said:

went into 7-11 tonight. no bag.

old hags at the local market still putting every little thing in a plastic bag.

Read the original article, the plastic bag boycott has only been agreed to by a certain number of the larger Thai supermarket chains. Small outfits like Foodmart, with just a single branch, probably think there's too much risk of driving customers elsewhere to participate.

And as for your comments about vendors still using them at the markets, none of them has signed-up to this boycott either. If it's a wet market there's no sensible alternative to plastic bags, anyway.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:26 AM, Guderian said:

Read the original article, the plastic bag boycott has only been agreed to by a certain number of the larger Thai supermarket chains. Small outfits like Foodmart, with just a single branch, probably think there's too much risk of driving customers elsewhere to participate.

And as for your comments about vendors still using them at the markets, none of them has signed-up to this boycott either. If it's a wet market there's no sensible alternative to plastic bags, anyway.

dont use a bag for small pastries already in a plastic container, you hag

On 1/10/2020 at 8:47 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Went into local 7-11 yesterday ... got a double bagger ????

rub some chilli juice between the bags so you know when the first one breaks.

Edited by Don Mega

On 1/10/2020 at 10:26 AM, Guderian said:

If it's a wet market there's no sensible alternative to plastic bags, anyway.

Thats why barrier bags have not been banned here or any other of the many countries that have banned bags.

Luckily, My wife still has ever plastic bag she has ever been given, they are under the kitchen sink. At current estimates we have a 20-30 year supply. 

It was major undertaking and extremely difficult, but I have managed to transfer some of the bags to the boot of the car and under the bike seat. Its taxing , arduous and a very radical idea, but I use these bags when I but something.

Seriously, if its raining take an umbrella with you, if its cold take a coat, if you are going on a date take a condom. AND if you are going shopping take a bag. its not hard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

No bags whatsoever at Big C Extra yesterday morning, free or otherwise.

For a Saturday Morning, it was deathly quiet, with no queues at any checkouts.

Maybe shoppers are going to more user friendly supermarkets?

Yeah Big C Extra is the worst customer experience with the bag ban.  I too couldn't find any paid bags the first few times.  They actually have them at some of the checkouts on the end of the gum rack, they are green and say "Bag for life".  They are 3 baht each.  I also went on Friday evening and it seemed very quiet to me as well.

The part that really bothers me about Big C Extra is that the cashiers have taken the opportunity to stop bagging.  I brought my own old plastic Big C Extra bags and put them on the conveyor belt, and the cashier just rang all the goods up and didn't touch my bags.  I noticed anyone that brought their own bag was bagging themselves.  I would estimate about 20% brought bags.  The rest either just put everything back in the cart (I assume they had cars), or just bought what they could carry.  

Foodland on Pattaya Klang is a much nicer experience.  They have plastic bags available for 1 baht that goes into a donation to "Save the Environment", and the cashiers will use my Big C bags to bag my groceries as before.  So I've switched to Foodland for most purchases, but I still buy some things at Big C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, tlock said:

Yeah Big C Extra is the worst customer experience with the bag ban.  I too couldn't find any paid bags the first few times.  They actually have them at some of the checkouts on the end of the gum rack, they are green and say "Bag for life".  They are 3 baht each.  I also went on Friday evening and it seemed very quiet to me as well.

The part that really bothers me about Big C Extra is that the cashiers have taken the opportunity to stop bagging.  I brought my own old plastic Big C Extra bags and put them on the conveyor belt, and the cashier just rang all the goods up and didn't touch my bags.  I noticed anyone that brought their own bag was bagging themselves.  I would estimate about 20% brought bags.  The rest either just put everything back in the cart (I assume they had cars), or just bought what they could carry.  

Foodland on Pattaya Klang is a much nicer experience.  They have plastic bags available for 1 baht that goes into a donation to "Save the Environment", and the cashiers will use my Big C bags to bag my groceries as before.  So I've switched to Foodland for most purchases, but I still buy some things at Big C.

Yes, it's something that bugs me about the system in the UK, the checkout staff can't be bothered to help you with packing, they just sit there trying not to look too impatient as you attempt to pack everything into the bags you brought with you. Now Thailand is exactly the same, you can almost hear them thinking,, "Come on you senile old fool, hurry up with the packing, there are people waiting!"

Where once the customer was always right, nowadays it seems that the only people who matter are the ones who are most vocal on Facebook or other social media. When the capitalist system stops worrying about what the paying customer wants you know that things have gone badly wrong.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tlock said:

The rest either just put everything back in the cart (I assume they had cars), or just bought what they could carry.  

I have what I call "my makro" tubs... I purchased them to use when I go to Makro.... now I just toss em in the pickup if going to BigC/Tesco/Foodland/Villa etc etc.

It really is not a bother.

82209331_10157400911817740_5076714127703

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Luckily, My wife still has ever plastic bag she has ever been given, they are under the kitchen sink. At current estimates we have a 20-30 year supply. 

It was major undertaking and extremely difficult, but I have managed to transfer some of the bags to the boot of the car and under the bike seat. Its taxing , arduous and a very radical idea, but I use these bags when I but something.

Seriously, if its raining take an umbrella with you, if its cold take a coat, if you are going on a date take a condom. AND if you are going shopping take a bag. its not hard.

I dont like plastic on my Peter,only as a last resort,,,,,,,But I do like to carry my food in plastic bags.....

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

if you are going on a date take a condom.

There's the old Thai joke when the cashier asks if you want a bag "sai toong mai ka"  

toong is the shortened name for "toong yarng anamai"  a condom...

Yesterday a cashier said she would "sai toong hi"  or  put the bag on for me !! ????

Edited by johng