KBank not opening new accounts for non-Asean people unless on A-O (Retirement)?

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I think you have  mis understood. What I mean is, can those whose nationality is that of an ASEAN country open a bank account? Many posters on here have specified "only Thais can open an account"

Thanks for clarifying but I was only funning ????

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

Nope. They asked for a work permit. I don't work so it was instant "mai dai". I have a yellow tabien baan, international driving license and 1 year marriage extension - still no.

If I used some kind of spy camera to prove it I could go into 10 Bangkok Bank branches and you guys could guess how many would be willing to open an account for me. I know the answer already because I have done it.

And I think you would be able to open an account at several of those 10 branches with a Certificate of Residence + passport. A wp + passport is just one out of several combinations to meet the requirements for opening an account at Bangkok Bank. 

21 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I think you have  mis understood. What I mean is, can those whose nationality is that of an ASEAN country open a bank account? Many posters on here have specified "only Thais can open an account"

The OP is wrong and he doesn't know the official requirements for opening an account at K-Bank. They changed the requirements in March or so last year. The new requirements clearly states that only thai nationals from 15 year of age can open an account. Other banks did for some reason the same changes. I don't know why. 

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

Firstly, I didn't gloat. As I pointed out to another poster, in order to gloat I would have to had achieved something that is beyond the realms of some. I don't believe that what I have achieved is so.

Secondly, I said nothing about being fluent. I merely pointed out that my knowledge of Thai language is good enough that I don't have to rely on someone else when ever I need to go somewhere, do something or speak to someone.

I am happy to share my experiences of learning Thai. This should be of particular interest to you as you have said many times that you live in the sticks and thus should be easy for to to do. Well, I learned to speak Thai exactly the same way that anyone learns to speak their own native language as they are growing up. I listened to people, I tried to speak to people, I watched people when communicating and I remembered what I had seen, heard and spoken. I immersed myself in the language and tried to avoid English as much as I could. A lot easier 20 years ago, I admit, as English was rarely spoken anywhere near where I live. 

Immersion is, and has been proven by many linguistics and language professors, as the easiest, best and most efficient way to learn a language. 

With regards to learning to read and write, I was teaching English at a primary school when I saw a Thai teacher teaching a class of K2 kids that Thai alphabet with the first stage of vowels. Such as "Gor-a = Ga", "Kor-a = Ka". I politely asked if it would be OK for me to sit at the back of the class and observe. She agreed and invited me back next time. An invitation that I accepted.

I guess it took about a year to get up to speed. It really is not that difficult and if one can learn to read Thai, in my opinion easier than a non native trying to learn to read English, then grasping tones and earning new vocabulary becomes easier as one can study alone with books and dictionaries (when I learnt the internet in the area was in it's infancy and access to such was near on impossible).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comment. I have to say that after one year I could ask basic questions in restaurants and bars etc and understand the replies. After two years, where I am at now, I can definitely not hold a proper conversation but can speak to people and ask where they come from, what their job is etc but still hit a language barrier quite often. I guess I am somewhere in the middle, not great at learning languages but try to pick up a few extra words a week and try hard to use a Thai accent.

If you watch Kev in Thailand on YouTube and observe the way he speaks, that is the classic example of what I would like to avoid, he speaks in a very robotic way with a strong English accent and ignores tones completely. I guess that is the norm for many who come here, Thai appears to be easy at a glance but is deceptively difficult if you want to be perfectly understood.

Ann added issue for me is that here everyone speaks Isaan and my father in law sometimes speaks Lao to me. I can usually get my head around it if they speak slowly but especially over the new year trying to understand some very slurring mixed Thai/Isaan from drunken neighbours proved too much for my puny brain. I need to study harder.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The OP is wrong and he doesn't know the official requirements for opening an account at K-Bank. They changed the requirements in March or so last year. The new requirements clearly states that only thai nationals from 15 year of age can open an account. Other banks did for some reason the same changes. I don't know why. 

Here an answer from Kasikorn about Opening a Bank account when not have Retirement Extension from a friend!

So there are other ways to open account there. But at the end it depends on the person you talk to at the branch.

In addition, to open an account, a foreigner should meet one of the following conditions;

- Doing business in Thailand

- Retirement

- Having a medical treatment in Thailand

- Investing in Thai Securities

- Buying a real estate in Thailand

- Working in Thailand

- An officials of foreign government or international organization

- A spouse of a person working in Thailand, an officials of foreign government or an officials of international organization

- Studying in Thailand

- Burmese, Laotian, Cambodian, Malaysian (borderlands) who are working in Thailand

- Minorities in Thailand (a person who lives in Thailand, but does not have Thai nationality)
- Holding Elite Visa or a Smart VISA

I think some of the comments with regards to lacking English language skills (and a resulting aversion to dealing with foreigners) of Kasikorn Bank staff are over the top - they have improved a lot. When I opened my account with them 14 years ago, nobody at that branch (smack in Bangkok's CBD, mind you) spoke any English, but that didn't stop them from opening an account for me. In the meantime, I've been to a number of different branches all over Bangkok to replace expiring or broken ATM cards, and in recent years they've always had members of staff with a fair command of English.

Right from the account opening, all Kasikorn Bank employees I've dealt with have also been unfailingly polite and helpful - something I cannot say about their Bangkok Bank colleagues.

So they seem well prepared to deal with foreigners, and I don't believe for one second that they don't want foreign clients any longer.

Forget about K Bank, Worst customer service I have seen as they only open an account to those who hold Non O-A visa. I opened an account with Krungsri bank in Pattaya central mall beach road couple months ago with just a Non O visa based on marriage and Thai drivers license. very easy, took 10 minutes.

3 hours ago, nightfox said:

Forget about K Bank, Worst customer service I have seen as they only open an account to those who hold Non O-A visa. I opened an account with Krungsri bank in Pattaya central mall beach road couple months ago with just a Non O visa based on marriage and Thai drivers license. very easy, took 10 minutes.

How you know their customer service, as you are not a customer of K-Bank?

Actually I am very happy with the customer service. When I call them they have good English speaking people and till now can help me.

All in all i am very happy with K-Bank, and I think they have really the best online app from all the banks I know.

But I understand, that some branch not willing to open an account to Foreigners with other extension(visa) than retirement, which is indeed very bad. But luckily not every branch is the same.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

I think some of the comments with regards to lacking English language skills (and a resulting aversion to dealing with foreigners) of Kasikorn Bank staff are over the top - they have improved a lot. When I opened my account with them 14 years ago, nobody at that branch (smack in Bangkok's CBD, mind you) spoke any English, but that didn't stop them from opening an account for me. In the meantime, I've been to a number of different branches all over Bangkok to replace expiring or broken ATM cards, and in recent years they've always had members of staff with a fair command of English.

Right from the account opening, all Kasikorn Bank employees I've dealt with have also been unfailingly polite and helpful - something I cannot say about their Bangkok Bank colleagues.

So they seem well prepared to deal with foreigners, and I don't believe for one second that they don't want foreign clients any longer.

I note your comments about Bangkok but this thread is about banks in Thailand. 

Totally different kettle of fish.

I use krungsri for online purchases and uob for keeping money. Works fine. Uob has decent interest for their Accs and decent fees for wire transfers, just that they don’t allow online purchases, so I simply transfer to my other account and done. 

^ both these banks can be opened on any visa just fine.

Both opened on tourist visa ^. Later I switched to non-b and wasn’t able to open acc with kbank/scb. Since then switched to elite but will stick to the ones that have always been helpful. On positive side uob is always half empty. Saves time. 

Edited by Drax
  • Like 1

Had an account with SCB for donkeys years and never had an issue with them, very good for internet banking which is how i pay my rent when i'm away......  On the other hand i never keep more than a grand in there as i know one day when the shiny button boys work out that loads of people here have bank accounts without work permits or anything else for that matter they'll require the account holder to produce the evidence and if they can't they'll confiscate the money.........  Easy money....... That's why no way on Gods earth would i put 800,000 in a Thai bank account because as the situation within the country gets harder more little sticky fingers will appear, especially in the banks, as a "Farang" can do sod all about it if his money disappears......... You just try moving your own money....... Noooooo way Jose !

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Had an account with SCB for donkeys years and never had an issue with them, very good for internet banking which is how i pay my rent when i'm away......  On the other hand i never keep more than a grand in there as i know one day when the shiny button boys work out that loads of people here have bank accounts without work permits or anything else for that matter they'll require the account holder to produce the evidence and if they can't they'll confiscate the money.........  Easy money....... That's why no way on Gods earth would i put 800,000 in a Thai bank account because as the situation within the country gets harder more little sticky fingers will appear, especially in the banks, as a "Farang" can do sod all about it if his money disappears......... You just try moving your own money....... Noooooo way Jose !

"when the shiny button boys work out that loads of people here have bank accounts without work permits"

I guess you don't know that earlier, before ~March-April last year you didn't need a wp to open an account at K-Bank. It also officially worked with a retirement visa. At Bangkok Bank you don't a wp to open a savings account. The requirements are the same as they've been for many years. You also by thai banking law have a 5 million baht deposit protection. So,keep your money in the piggy bank. 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"when the shiny button boys work out that loads of people here have bank accounts without work permits"

I guess you don't know that earlier, before ~March-April last year you didn't need a wp to open an account at K-Bank. It also officially worked with a retirement visa. At Bangkok Bank you don't a wp to open a savings account. The requirements are the same as they've been for many years. You also by thai banking law have a 5 million baht deposit protection. So,keep your money in the piggy bank. 

"You also by thai banking law have a 5 million baht deposit protection. So,keep your money in the piggy bank." 

This go change to 1 million ….10 August this year 2020

Thai Banks Guarantee plan.png

Edited by david555

There are a lot of people on this forum who don't read the thread and post such things as:

"I opened an account easily at the first branch I went to".

What these people don't tell you is that:

1. They are retired. It's quite easy to open an account in Thailand if you are retired.

2. They did it many many years ago, maybe even before you were born.

3. They are working in Thailand legally and have a WP. Very easy to open an account with a work permit.

For the rest of us who are residing in Thailand, usually with a Thai wife - if you are under 50, and not working, the banks don't want to help you. I am so bored of people saying "that's rubbish because I opened an account on a visa-exemption with nothing more than my passport" because these people are just not reading the thread and being idiots.

It is very hard now to open a basic savings account in Thailand for people who are not retired and not working. Despite being married to a Thai national, because you are neither retired or working they can't understand how you could have money so you are instantly persona non-grata.

Now someone is going to post about how easily they opened their account, but will always fail to mention that they did it 20 years ago, or had a O-A visa or a work permit.

If you are under 50, don't have a work permit, then I would ask you just for fun to go into a big bank branch and try and open an account and then post on here what happens. It will be "mai dai" and if it's not I will buy you dinner and a beer.

Edited by SteveK

2 hours ago, david555 said:

"You also by thai banking law have a 5 million baht deposit protection. So,keep your money in the piggy bank." 

This go change to 1 million ….10 August this year 2020

Thai Banks Guarantee plan.png

Yes,I know. My point was, why being paranoid about keeping the 800k for a visa in a thai bank? I would be more concerned about doing it in for example Cambodia,Vietnam or China. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SteveK said:

There are a lot of people on this forum who don't read the thread and post such things as:

"I opened an account easily at the first branch I went to".

What these people don't tell you is that:

1. They are retired. It's quite easy to open an account in Thailand if you are retired.

2. They did it many many years ago, maybe even before you were born.

3. They are working in Thailand legally and have a WP. Very easy to open an account with a work permit.

For the rest of us who are residing in Thailand, usually with a Thai wife - if you are under 50, and not working, the banks don't want to help you. I am so bored of people saying "that's rubbish because I opened an account on a visa-exemption with nothing more than my passport" because these people are just not reading the thread and being idiots.

It is very hard now to open a basic savings account in Thailand for people who are not retired and not working. Despite being married to a Thai national, because you are neither retired or working they can't understand how you could have money so you are instantly persona non-grata.

Now someone is going to post about how easily they opened their account, but will always fail to mention that they did it 20 years ago, or had a O-A visa or a work permit.

If you are under 50, don't have a work permit, then I would ask you just for fun to go into a big bank branch and try and open an account and then post on here what happens. It will be "mai dai" and if it's not I will buy you dinner and a beer.

I have answered your post earlier when you were talking about visiting 10 Bangkok Bank branches in BKK without any luck,right? 

I asked you if you have ever tried opening an account using a Certificate of Residence from your immigration office. At my branch in Jomtien it's like an "open Sesame", even on a 60 days tourist Visa. Having a wp is just one way to open an account at Bangkok Bank. 

But you're correct, it is more difficult now compared to before especially at other banks. That includes retirees. 

• Thanks 1

I am with Kasikorn Bank. Do I have problems with them Lots. My biggest problem is the staff dont know what they are doing. I tried to transfer money to Australia My god 3 hours still sitting there i just got up said to the guy serving me "Have a nice day" Grabbed the paperwork out of his hands and threw it in the bin I never seen so much rubbish to transfer money I went to Western Union 10 minutes transfered. Another one was when my friend from  Germany went to cash in some Euros at Kasikorn Bank." Cant do" they said I said why? Drum roll now get this one guys. They could not do because they have never seen the new 200 Euros that have been issued Ha ha ha I said you have to be kidding right They said NO We nevr see new 200 Euros and they are counterfit Now that is just pure stupidity

• Like 1

I have 4 KBank accounts myself, 2 in Bangkok, 1 in Pattaya and 1 in CM.

Never had any issues opening accounts, but new rules since 2019 will make it almost impossible if you do not have a past relationship with the bank . 

But if you bring 1 million baht with you, and are retired over 50, you might get lucky. 

5 hours ago, ubon farang said:

I am with Kasikorn Bank. Do I have problems with them Lots. My biggest problem is the staff dont know what they are doing. I tried to transfer money to Australia My god 3 hours still sitting there i just got up said to the guy serving me "Have a nice day" Grabbed the paperwork out of his hands and threw it in the bin I never seen so much rubbish to transfer money I went to Western Union 10 minutes transfered. Another one was when my friend from  Germany went to cash in some Euros at Kasikorn Bank." Cant do" they said I said why? Drum roll now get this one guys. They could not do because they have never seen the new 200 Euros that have been issued Ha ha ha I said you have to be kidding right They said NO We nevr see new 200 Euros and they are counterfit Now that is just pure stupidity

If you have the Kasikorn K+ app installed in your phone,you can since May 2019 transfer money to 24 countries incl Australia. Check it out.

2 months ago I went to my K-Bank branch in Jomtien to replace my K-Debit VISA Card. The new card includes contactless purchases. There are 5 customer service desks, and I got the one with a brainless girl behind it. She said my card was a contactless card, I said no it isn't,she said yes again,and said ,NO, it isn't, in a louder voice. She then asked the girl next to her ,she looked at the card and said, no it's not a contact less card. The first girl didn't even understand how you can see that the card has the contactless function. Then she asked me,do you want to cancel the card? I said,of course,why would I need 2 K-Debit cards and pay 2 annual fees? Then she said I had to cancel the card by phone. I asked why, and said I don't believe that,you are supposed to do it. I'm just here to replace one of your cards. She called the head office in BKK and gave me the phone. A woman asked me what she can do for me,I don't know, I'm at your branch in Jomtien to replace my debit card and the girl says you're supposed to do it. She sighed and told me to give the phone back to the girl. She listened for a while and without saying anything started tapping on the keyboard. Then took out a new card from a cabinet behind her. When everything was ok,she suddenly saw that there was a 50 baht promotion and she was supposed to deposit the money to my account. That took a while with more papers and signatures. Then,she looked at me and wanted me to leave. I pointed at the special black pen I saw on her desk, the pen you're using to write your signature on the card,and asked,can I borrow the pen? She looked confused again,but gave me the pen. I wrote my signature,stood up and said bye. This procedure took for ever because of this girl at K-Bank. Doing the same at my Bangkok Bank branch 600 meters away takes 10 min. Go figure. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It's only Americans having trouble opening accounts, We British are welcomed with open arms

There's been posts here about customer services asking people if they come from the US. One said, they didn't like americans. She didn't mean it that way,she just meant that there might be more paperwork when an american wants to open an account,and they didn't like that.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

This place is full of stupid rules 

Having accounts and debit cards in 2 different banks is imo perfect. They have different debit cards which makes my purchases online (even worldwide) totally painless. I use the accounts for different payments. I can't pay my electricity bill using one banks online banking,but it works with the other. 

5 hours ago, balo said:

I have 4 KBank accounts myself, 2 in Bangkok, 1 in Pattaya and 1 in CM.

Never had any issues opening accounts, but new rules since 2019 will make it almost impossible if you do not have a past relationship with the bank . 

But if you bring 1 million baht with you, and are retired over 50, you might get lucky. 

You're correct about changed requirements during 2019 at several banks. Bangkok Bank didn't make any changes,though. 

9 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you have the Kasikorn K+ app installed in your phone,you can since May 2019 transfer money to 24 countries incl Australia. Check it out.

2 months ago I went to my K-Bank branch in Jomtien to replace my K-Debit VISA Card. The new card includes contactless purchases. There are 5 customer service desks, and I got the one with a brainless girl behind it. She said my card was a contactless card, I said no it isn't,she said yes again,and said ,NO, it isn't, in a louder voice. She then asked the girl next to her ,she looked at the card and said, no it's not a contact less card. The first girl didn't even understand how you can see that the card has the contactless function. Then she asked me,do you want to cancel the card? I said,of course,why would I need 2 K-Debit cards and pay 2 annual fees? Then she said I had to cancel the card by phone. I asked why, and said I don't believe that,you are supposed to do it. I'm just here to replace one of your cards. She called the head office in BKK and gave me the phone. A woman asked me what she can do for me,I don't know, I'm at your branch in Jomtien to replace my debit card and the girl says you're supposed to do it. She sighed and told me to give the phone back to the girl. She listened for a while and without saying anything started tapping on the keyboard. Then took out a new card from a cabinet behind her. When everything was ok,she suddenly saw that there was a 50 baht promotion and she was supposed to deposit the money to my account. That took a while with more papers and signatures. Then,she looked at me and wanted me to leave. I pointed at the special black pen I saw on her desk, the pen you're using to write your signature on the card,and asked,can I borrow the pen? She looked confused again,but gave me the pen. I wrote my signature,stood up and said bye. This procedure took for ever because of this girl at K-Bank. Doing the same at my Bangkok Bank branch 600 meters away takes 10 min. Go figure. 

Not to much problem with KKbank , but when asking for a Bankcard with my name on it ...not possible ...ok …. 3 years later other card needed…. "would you like your name on it ..(surprise.. surprise !) YES !..thank you , a week late card ready ! Amazing Thailand KKbank .

Now March 2019 can I have another card  ...please with name on it …"not possible sir ..(?) 

reason ? T.I.T. 

PS: The reason for my preference for name on card is simple some airlines as EVA could ask and refuse check-in if you can not produce your card you paid with ….(security )also some E.U. nasty border customs checking financials ,and nameless cards could trigger thir suspicions as not usual bank habits in normal country's 

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

There's been posts here about customer services asking people if they come from the US. One said, they didn't like americans. She didn't mean it that way,she just meant that there might be more paperwork when an american wants to open an account,and they didn't like that.

Not Thailand related tho, worldwide banks don't want american customers as it's a pain in the butt to comply with their FATF bs.

Not worth it for banks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubon farang said:

There's always been problems when changing the largest bank notes, especially when they're new. The currency doesn't matter. It can happen everywhere in the world. Many head offices which should know about new notes are to slow when it comes to informing branches.

22 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Not Thailand related tho, worldwide banks don't want american customers as it's a pain in the butt to comply with their FATF bs.

Not worth it for banks.

"Not Thailand related tho"

What do you mean? I just told you about thai banks customer service.

26 minutes ago, david555 said:

Not to much problem with KKbank , but when asking for a Bankcard with my name on it ...not possible ...ok …. 3 years later other card needed…. "would you like your name on it ..(surprise.. surprise !) YES !..thank you , a week late card ready ! Amazing Thailand KKbank .

Now March 2019 can I have another card  ...please with name on it …"not possible sir ..(?) 

reason ? T.I.T. 

PS: The reason for my preference for name on card is simple some airlines as EVA could ask and refuse check-in if you can not produce your card you paid with ….(security )also some E.U. nasty border customs checking financials ,and nameless cards could trigger thir suspicions as not usual bank habits in normal country's 

Only thai Credit Cards have your name embossed. Not debit cards since years ago.