Thai Honesty: Tourist who left 700,000 baht in hilltop restaurant gets it all back

webfact

Thai Honesty: Tourist who left 700,000 baht in hilltop restaurant gets it all back

5pm.jpg

Thai caption: All forgotten 700,000 baht was returned

Picture: Sanook

A man who left a bag containing in excess of 700,000 baht in a restaurant atop Phu Thap Berk in Phetchabun praised the owner and his staff after getting every single baht back. 

Priwat Thangtham from Ubon was with several friends visiting the hills when they stopped to eat at the Seua Phu Khao restaurant owned by Jakkrapong Plaichaiphoom. 

However, he left a bag containing the money and only realised his mistake when they went to fill up at a gas station in Lomsak district. 

He tried to contact the restaurant online and saw that there was already a request out on a tourist help group. 

Priwat and his money - that he was taking to a bank - were soon reunited along with hearty thanks for the Thais' wonderful honesty. 

The owner and the handful of staff were given 1,000 baht each as a reward. 

Priwat also singled out Chainarong, 27, for his help as part of a group that aids tourists in distress. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-13
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Nice to see that there are still some honest people around, but I think if I had stopped to eat whilst in possession of a bag containing that amount of money then the strap would be firmly slung around my neck at all times, even if that made eating a bit awkward. 

Totally agree @Dmaxdan. I had occasion to carry 100,000 once and I assure you, I was totally aware at all times.

Priwat must have much deeper pockets than I do if carrying 700,000 baht didn't raise his awareness level.

But good on his "brothers and sisters".

• Like 1

To be fair to the person who left the bag, or these stories as a whole, I recently did something similar. I went on a day trip to Montenegro when I was in Croatia. We rented a car and just drove to the nearest tourist attraction for lunch and a few pics. In and out in less than 6 hours. I was the chump left carrying the bag with 8 passports in. I left it in the restaurant and luckily my missus asked where my bag was. 20 mins later we returned and the bag was in the same place. It was a real brain fart moment.

In saying all that, I'm not so sure I would have been so forgetful when carrying a bag with 700,000 baht in it. I think I'd be holding on to that for dear life. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

Nice to see that there are still some honest people around, but I think if I had stopped to eat whilst in possession of a bag containing that amount of money then the strap would be firmly slung around my neck at all times, even if that made eating a bit awkward. 

what if a motorbike came up and snatched and reefed it until the strap breaks and then rides off  ??

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I'd rather lose my passport than don a bum bag. Same goes for wearing Crocs. 

I'd rather risk being stabbed or shot than lose my passport.

Maybe your Embassy is easier to use than the Brit embassy.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

I can never understand how people can leave so much cash in this way, they must be as thick as two short planks !   Most i have ever left behind anywhere in 74 years of life is a pair of sunglasses in a Disney Theatre in Florida and a comb in a public toilet.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I can never understand how people can leave so much cash in this way,

Because you have never seen a restaurant table around which there are a dozen Thai people.
When, at the end of the meal, they get up, they are all more drunk than a regiment of Polish.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The guy who gave it back must be a saint he is, otherwise that goes against almost, i said almost, human nature...

Perhaps saw that the bag belonged to a group of Thai people, and possibly "influential looking" at that, so rather than risk getting offside with a "high ranking/wealthy" Thai, with perhaps deadly consequences, decided that honesty was the best option.........

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Who on earth goes to a restaurant with 700k in a bag?

I have carried that much but I went directly from A to B with it & I was acutely aware I had it

I definitely didn't stop in a restaurant for a spot of lunch......... and then forget it!!

agree .....  and then what was he thinking to do, go get a hair cut, go the beach for a while.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

To be fair to the person who left the bag, or these stories as a whole, I recently did something similar. I went on a day trip to Montenegro when I was in Croatia. We rented a car and just drove to the nearest tourist attraction for lunch and a few pics. In and out in less than 6 hours. I was the chump left carrying the bag with 8 passports in. I left it in the restaurant and luckily my missus asked where my bag was. 20 mins later we returned and the bag was in the same place. It was a real brain fart moment.

In saying all that, I'm not so sure I would have been so forgetful when carrying a bag with 700,000 baht in it. I think I'd be holding on to that for dear life. 

That's why you should never carry passports in an external bag, only in a bag around your neck or in a secret pocket inside your pants (if you don't want to take the chance of a thief ripping the bag off your neck).

I've only carried my passport one time in an external bag.  It was stolen by a cop at a checkpoint and I had to change my return flight and go apply for a new one.

Live and learn.

3 hours ago, legend49 said:
5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Amazing Thailand and a never ending supply of wedged up forgetful farangs ???? 

Priwat Thangtham from Ubon . He is a forgetful farang????

... bet his face went whiter than snail paste!

• Haha 2