Do you prefer rural or urban Thailand

sipi

Do you prefer rural or urban Thailand  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

With very rural Thailand the problem is that there is sweet FA to do for your average westerner. But if you can amuse yourself with the simple pleasures in life, such as reading, gardening, cooking, and talking to the neighbours, actually it couldn't possibly be a more relaxing and enjoyable life. If you need go-go bars, western food and people who can speak English, you'd almost certainly be better off in Bangkok.

Personally I enjoy fishing, and sitting at a lake in rural Thailand in the hot sun with an ice-bucket of cold beers and a great book is about as good as I ever hoped that life could get for me.

All sounds good but the fisihing? When river fishing in  OZ ,catching a big fat carp means throwing it over your shoulder into the bush. Only asians can eat that muddy tasting <deleted> cause its cheap

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Rural Thailand for me, hate it when I have to visit the Bangkok or similar and cant wait to get out of there.

The rural quiet is pure escapism far from the pressures and hectic pace of the big cities. Its like "stop the world I'm getting off" when I arrive back in the small village to my home surrounded by nothing but open fields and a Mountain range on the horizon.....aaahhhhh..bliss. A lifestyle I could never ever have achieved in the home country, thank you Thailand.

Yeah but then you remain on the computer for more than a days life of lifetime and this can be achieved anywhere. Can you really enjoy anything outside? Or is it staring through the window then running back to the monitor? Doesn't add up. No disrespect. 

Like all 3. 1. Bangkok urban is different from CM urban. I love my home and love to go to stay in BKK for a few days as well every month.

So I will probably buy a small house next year in northern out of CM area next year to have a few rai and a house to veg at. got a house in CM and all already.. Used to stay in Fang area years ago and I miss the Fang area so much with the scenery and motorcycle rides and smallness. No computer inhibiting my free. 

Edited by holy cow cm

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah but then you remain on the computer for more than a days life of lifetime and this can be achieved anywhere. Can you really enjoy anything outside? Or is it staring through the window then running back to the monitor? Doesn't add up. No disrespect. 

Dunno about where CharlieH lives, but outside Chiang Mai it's too polluted to risk leaving the house at the moment, and probably won't be safe for another 2-3 months.

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

I have simply found that many things in my life have changed over the years.

Indeed, I feel content to live with "now" rather than chase the impossible dream :goof:

Reminds me off the song:-

He's an old hippie
And he don't know what to do
Should he hang on to the old
Should he grab on to the new
He's an old hippie............

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Dunno about where CharlieH lives, but outside Chiang Mai it's too polluted to risk leaving the house at the moment, and probably won't be safe for another 2-3 months.

Yeah. Today here was too much. Is time for a mask. Nice we have the government going to tackle this though!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I find it interesting that quite a few country lovers on this thread have to add, "but we live quite near to such and such a city so we can always pop in and...."

They are clearly in complete denial and can't wait to get their urban fix. 

There is an honesty to city folk that one rarely finds in the countryside. 

Rooster ????

I live next to a huge rice field and in a no security small housing community in CM. But it is not country side utopia but not bad as am next to open land everywhere. On the outskirts but the world is closing in and the need to buy a second property up north a few hours away is needed, but only an investment for the family after I die, but at least I have best of all three. Bangkok, CM and outer from here. . 

18 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

For post number neung meun you should post another picture of where you live. Show the curmudgeons on the thread what losers we all are that have made our lives in Thailand....

Rooster

Time to finally take another hit of acid after umpteen years then I will understand your post. 

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

Got a fair few years before I can escape the rat race over here, with the changes over the past few years not sure it will be so easy for me to head over for good but, still looking forward to trying. Most likely would base myself in Bangkok for a while and just head up country now and then to see how I would handle it. Only spent around a week at a time so far so not sure how I'd handle longer.

Would have to get a 'western" place, not sure if I could handle this being my kitchen, living room and bedroom for more than a week:

bed.jpg.a31d16996d13425bb834ed59d5ec06e5.jpg

But hell of a peaceful view from it:

sun.jpg.b9cbf892aa38859b3a5d4e77bbde5fb0.jpg

pond.jpg.ab322c666ffe29c579e5c981d0291526.jpg

The full on partying has started to get old, hence the road trips past few years and I have enjoyed them so who knows, maybe the rural life could be for me.

After we had built the house (I was still working offshore) I noticed that we had no kitchen, but the small house we had built for the in laws had a kitchen. It is still the same today but easy to live with. The only drawback was that it is Thai sized and thus lower than my height and painful at times. The sloped roof is lower and hurts my head when I forget.