The iPhone obsession..

transam

15 minutes ago, transam said:
32 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Jackie's question was ALL phones or just iPHONES. Ban them all in restaurants, schools, public places, bedrooms!!!!

I guess you are classing all phones, Apple, Android or Windows, Samsung, Huawei, Oppo, etc etc as iPhones. 

Let's put it this way, my thread is about users being taken over by their hand held computers...

So you're not including radio transceivers, just hand-held computers?

• Confused 1

Technology of today is not always a good thing.

I remember the good old days when nobody had internet or a phone, only landlines, and not everyone had one of those. I feel that life was much more enjoyable then. Now you're always contactable, can always be given stress or hassled, when before you could sit on a bus or train and read your book in peace. You could sit on a park bench and eat your lunch in peace without your boss hassling you for the month's figures. Now they can get you anywhere.

Plus now, because kids know they have all the knowledge in the world inside a piece of plastic in their pocket, they don't need to bother remembering anything. In the UK particularly, kids just don't actually seem to know anything anymore, except how to use Instagram and Facebook.

As technology has advanced, the new generation have become so dependent on it that if it failed they would be up sh*t creek without a paddle. I wonder how many 15 year olds know how to look up a book or journal in the library? I suspect I wasted hundreds of hours doing that when studying for my exams. Now they just punch it into google and get their answer immediately. Technology has advanced but intelligence levels definitely seem to have declined.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

It seems logical to me phones should not be used in class. Before phones I took a book with me when I needed to travel or wait (in busses and trains) Now i got a phone. I don't see the difference.

Have you ever seen pics of everyone reading in a train ? It happens now people use phones nothing new. 

I understand that some people hate phones, my parents do too. But its a new time and things change. I am sure you did things your parents did not approve of. Its the changing of times and the only people who moan are old people. Just like it was when TV came and when Radio came ect. 

But sure people should not use phones when they are eating with someone. 

I'm using my phone as well, but not when we are sitting in a restaurant to beam me into a cyberworld.

But that's what I always see when we eat out. People are glued on their cell phones and these days they even need an external battery. 

It's a great tool to kill time, but too often isn't okay. Same goes for any forums on the internet. 

The expression " can't see the forest for the trees" comes to mind. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Like many I use my phone a lot too. I love it for reading and doing stuff when i have t wait for something. Just like the people in that picture they are just killing time while waiting. I don't see anything wrong with that.

You could smell the flowers or just observe what is going on in the world around you.

52 minutes ago, transam said:

Let's put it this way, my thread is about users being taken over by their hand held computers...????

I am more concerned about becoming that other contemporary stereotype.

The one that sits opposite the obsessive phone user, quietly fulminating about "other people today".

The one that can't seem to "photoshop" the object of their obsession out of their consciousness.

I do not wish to be either of them.

Just think about Chevys, or superchargers........whatever.

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, buffallobill said:

I am writing this on my phone while eating my dinner, I only buy food that's easy to eat without cutting, so I don't have to put my phone down????

Hope you took photo's of the grub first and put them on facebook before you started ????

• Haha 1

the funniest I have ever seen as a family of 4 at a restaurant, the waitress asked what they wanted and all of them sent a text to the mother who just showed the waitress the screen & flicked up each response  then she just pointed at a dish in the menu, none of them actually talked to the waitress or each other the whole time they were sitting there, they were all too busy on their phones. Really have to wonder at the mental capacity of these types when they are incapable of talking and just stare at their phones, then there was the time when were on one of the islands the lady in the bungalow next to ours kept changing clothes and taking pics with her phone, she changed that many times it wasnt funny and then took heaps of pics looking all different ways in different positions as if she was some sort of model(which she wasnt), small things amuse small minds I guess

• Like 1

Often I get to my favorite bar about the same time the market opens in New York.... Have my favorite girl get us some drinks, open my phone (it is an Apple iPhone), check my orders, get ready for the session.... Later i check again, some one asks what I'm doing.... dalat hoon.... enough said.   Market is good today... get us another round and ring the bell.

Boomers all of you if you don't understand how technology makes life better and easier.

iPhone  brand loyalty is indicative of something not good.  I'm against apple.   I believe and support  a more open source game. What scares me are old people who say they will never use a smartphone and they can vote

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

I have childhood memories of my Polish grandma scolding my mother for letting her children listen to the Beatles or the Who, or God forbid, Jimmie Hendrix.  Sometimes my brothers and I would buy a new album and wear it out playing the same side over and over and over again.  I'm of the opinion that this smartphone thing (I don't go anywhere without mine) is just another phase.  The world will survive.......but many boomers will have a hard time adapting.

14 minutes ago, Elkski said:

iPhone  brand loyalty is indicative of something not good.  I'm against apple.   I believe and support  a more open source game. What scares me are old people who say they will never use a smartphone and they can vote

I think the OP had in mind a generic smart phone, not necessarily Apple in mind.

I've been online since late 1993 and placed my first Amazon order in 1997..but not on smartphone obviously.

Nowadays have 2 phones (one spare), 4 laptops and 2 tablets, and at least 2 active Sim cards at any time. I don't use social media but would have major difficulties without internet access...no access to Aussie banks, brokerage sites, government sites, airfare, train tickets, hotels, travel forums...how did people live before 1992 when the Net revolution started?

• Thanks 1

Yep it’s a pity and I’m the same always checking emails, reading, searching . I need to break the habit. 

Once on holiday from US to Phi Phi 15 years ago. No internet in room only in hotel lobby and pay as you go. Wife hated I worked

all the time never relaxing. I said ok I will get up early 30 minutes 

on emails and that’s it for the day.... made for a nice holiday

30 ride on my Harley in US when on holiday from China.... was nice

phine was in the pocket and not easy to get too without stopping even if it rang. .... Nice

but I’ve not broken the habit... people as is said at diner phone ...and when yiu think of it kinda takes they nice out of a nice dinner...

1 hour ago, DoktorC said:

Often I get to my favorite bar about the same time the market opens in New York.... Have my favorite girl get us some drinks, open my phone (it is an Apple iPhone), check my orders, get ready for the session.... Later i check again, some one asks what I'm doing.... dalat hoon.... enough said.   Market is good today... get us another round and ring the bell.

Boomers all of you if you don't understand how technology makes life better and easier.

I think you may find boomers invented the technology sonny. Don't be so disrespectful. You may have to google that word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, gearbox said:

how did people live before 1992 when the Net revolution started?

We lived differently using, for ex, the postal services ... and it worked very well.
New technologies including the internet were said to simplify everyone's work and / or remove obsolete staff;
in fact it didn't do any of that.
It is actually easier now to listen to Corelli through U-Tube while living in a village lost in the depths of nowhere in Issan (this is my case) than in the past.
Although in France we had frequency modulation all over the country, so even in a village in the Creuse or Aveyron, the national radio station could send us the classical music of their choice, not of our choice as currently.

It was later written by another member; it is supposed to give us more freedom when the exact opposite is happening.
Thanks to or because of these new technologies it is almost impossible, even with the phone off, to prevent the authorities from knowing where we are.
It can be very useful to find someone who is lost but also very harmful.
When I do a Google search, at the bottom of my screen, this technology tells me where I live (a few km away);
I do not know if going through a proxy if this indication would continue to be accurate.

• Like 2

I am "connected" most of the time  while at home, but I use my Macbook air. I find these puny smart phone screens ridiculous. I use my Iphone for navigation, emergency, Garmin data transfer, receiving banking messages, a few calls, altogether maybe15 minutes a day.

We're now over the misnomer and know that Transam really meant smart phone, not iPhone.

On that note, it is my understanding that iPhone is a minority player in Thailand. Samsung/Android is the majority.

I own an iPhone! Not because Apple was once trendy but because when I graduated from flip phone to smart phone, Apple was the leader. I've stuck with iPhone ever since and have no plans to change. I don't hate them. I don't love them. IPhone has served me well. Their support is awesome and immediate.

Besides LINE app, I don't partake in any social media. My smart phone is first and foremost a business tool. All of my advertising (small company) states "Text is Best First Communication".

I field sales enquiries any time I'm awake. Evenings (even late) are often very productive. Once a new potential customer is qualified, I might shift to email on my desktop but can reply to any enquiry throughout the day instantly via my phone, text or email. My customers appreciate the near instantaneous response.

I jump into action immediately when they contact me, every enquiry is a potential sale. Even when in Thailand, I do business in my home country.

All because of my smartphone !

I never leave "home" without it.