Thai Tourism Ministry considers collecting tourism fees

webfact

1 hour ago, smedly said:

and you are just a misguided grumpy old man - you carry on with your insults and delusions 

I will say it again for the benefit of the terminally ignorant. China has banned the group tourists from leaving China.  I am neither old nor grumpy but I do admit to some level of frustration communicating with some posters.

9 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

There is already a fee included in the ticket price (use to be paid on departure but now collected at time ticket is purchased - 700 baht or something thereabouts).

As soon as any Thai official says something it is automatically condemned.

These are the charges from a recent return ticket to the UK.

Passenger Service Charge (Domestic) - Thailand    THB 700.00
Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom    THB 3,425.00
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom    THB 3,010.00

Many of Thailand's issues, clean power, clean water, enough water for all, tourism, safety on roads, .. ad infinitum, .. could be managed by an intelligent regime of good governance.

Don't hold your breath. We will not see it in our lifetime.

Edited by TechnikaIII
grammatical error
  • Like 1

It’s about time they admit they have not got a clue and take a look at where it’s successful and copy them, like next door. Some of these ideas they dream up have a thought time of 3 seconds, anyone with a brain could come up with a plan better than what’s put forward

3 hours ago, crabbie2020 said:

So glad to be leaving Thailand soon, indeed the whole of SE Asia. A region full of corrupt governments completely lacking in any democracy (yes I include Malaysia, Singapore in that).

Thailand is the epitome of greed. 

Thai people don't care two hoots about you (your Thai wife cares more about her cellphone than you).

Get out while you can. There are much better places in the world to be. Thailand is dangerous. Thailand has bad air. Thailand has had it's day for westerners - it's all about Chinese and Indians from now. You are not welcome, and in truth, have not been since 2002.

Hi

I certainly agree with your statement that there are much better places to be, as well as the gist of your entire post.

Where are you choosing as a replacement if I may  ask?

• Like 1

Farang at restaurant:   "Farang, if not many eat here you pay two times to give me good luck!!"

Farang everywhere, "You are here but we blame you for everyone not here and we must blame farang.  OK, give us all your money today and leave."

This is what economics call, "Slippery slope to the bottom of a pile of Elephant dung while you brush your teeth with ebola."   

• Like 1

For many years now I have spoken to Thai business people about their philosophy of putting up prices when business is slow. They cannot comprehend that when times are tough or business is slow you reduce your pricing and look for other ways to increase profits reduce staff,stay open longer hours etc. Well it looks like the government has decided to take a leaf from all the closed business and raise prices.The only difference is they cannot go broke but they can drive business away. Then blame the foreigners for not coming here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

use fees collected for attraction renovation and insurance benefits.

90% of where tourists go are private. The few that end up in national parks pay 400b for the day.

This is just a blind tax and just another nail in the coffin if Thai tourism. Please tell me it will be added to the cost of incoming flights, I will <deleted> myself laughing.

Thailand is absolutely desperate for people with education in government.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jackin1960 said:

555555 My (Thai) wife here is furious and can't stand to stupidity of Thai government. She feels very sorry for the poor people who get less and less each year. 

Same here but I blame my wife as much when she rants about it, as she is Thai but does not do anything to improve the situation on her own (or within the family) too.
Neither does she actually take the time to learn why certain things are a problem, how they started or how they could be resolved.

Thainess at it's finest right... Like they complain about corruption while they are happy to pay 100B to the police instead of 500B by law too. 
Guess it will never change and only get worse, or take another X decades. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

So in a period where the number of visitors is declining, Thailand is going to charge the remaining people with more <deleted> fees ? Yep, it is clear the Thai authorities have no clue how to actually reverse the trend. 

You cannot fix stupid. 

No disrespect, but I'm trying to determine who the "stupid" are...  The Thai ministry's decision makers, or me (us) for smiling, asking "may I have another sir" and sticking around expecting a peck on the cheek

• Haha 2

Many of the tourism businesses use the argument of rising costs to charge people as they do, my own research actually shows they are getting huge profit margins already and just got greedy, want to earn double of what is normal or expect their customers to pay for their overdue debts and interest. 

Like the chicken or pork on a stick that you can buy on the street, they cost around 1.5B each and used to be sold for 5B each, then it became 10B and now up to 15B each. They usually sell 3 sticks per customer, assuming 10B, that is around 25B profit per customer.
Often there will be 5-10 customers per location they stop too.

So basically, they easily come home with profits of 1-2K baht a day. Very misleading, I used to think they are very poor and hard working, suffering people. 
Many businesses are similar to this, the profit margins are huge and they are greedy. Actually most bars here make more margin per drink than bars do in Europe.
The rent is not an excuse (just as high in Europe), they have much lower wages for their staff too, no expensive insurances etc + often pay no to minimal tax.

So if they only became more reasonable and realistic, I am sure they get much more business. Well maybe not, the golden gooses mostly left already.

Edit: The worst I find businesses who still pretend to be cheap, charging 35B a meal, but secretly made the portions 30-40% smaller. 
This while their costs are almost the same, and it is hard working locals on minimum wages eating with them.
To an extreme that many students add on boiled water at home + instant noodles, as it else never been enough to fill their stomach.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Knobby37 said:

It’s about time they admit they have not got a clue and take a look at where it’s successful and copy them, like next door. Some of these ideas they dream up have a thought time of 3 seconds, anyone with a brain could come up with a plan better than what’s put forward

Brain?

12 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Thai economics 101; tax everyone else for loss of revenue. Also wouldn't be surprised to see prices go up across the board; i.e. hotels, restaurateurs etc. It'll cost em in the end, though, people will just go next door for value.

People have already gone next door. In their thousands. And who can blame them with morons like this running the country 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Will it be an entry tax on those on SETVs/METV, Visa exempt or will be collected on all non Thai passport holders on exit?

Where are the safeguards and guidelines that money goes into tourist development only? Not used to buy cars for employees of government agencies and Tourist Police

Don't be silly, the money will go straight to the right people and as for safe guards lol we decide at the lowest level member of staff if you pay (rules made up and changed at a whim).

2 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Don't be silly, the money will go straight to the right people and as for safe guards lol we decide at the lowest level member of staff if you pay (rules made up and changed at a whim).

So same same, but different (name)

Unbelievably thick morons running the show. Do they think people outside Thailand are stupid? You pay tax at the airport and on your ticket: OK not right but OK can swollow it but now to pay for the upkeep of said attractions you already paid 10 x more than a Thai to see!!!! Well what's the name of that other country with beautiful beaches mmmm Veitnam or that cheap place to buy real designer gear mmmm Singapore wait what about a more adventurous Asian holiday with history and real temples thousands of years old...   Mmmm and the list goes on and on in fact there are far better places in Asia to go to now, so much competition and Thailand is giving people more and more reasons to look rather than the default Thailand.