Bank advice please - changing provinces.

I have moved from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai province. My Kasikorn bank account in Chiang Mai allows free withdrawals on the debit card and passbook - in Chiang Mai. Costs 200 baht if I make a withdrawal in Chiang Rai.

I go to the Kasikorn branch at Big C. I explain I have moved to Chiang Rai, and want to change to a Chiang Rai branch and passbook. Cannot. You don't have a work permit. I don't have a work permit because I'm retired. Cannot.

Is there a way around this with Kasikorn, or do I open an account with any other bank in Chiang Rai and close the Kasikorn account? Constructive input welcome.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Defies logic. Sometimes a certificate of residence from your Immigration Office is accepted in liu of a work permit but it's always down to the particular branch manager.

Personally I'd visit a few more Kasikorn branches and try your luck. If that doesn't bear fruit then yes, I'd be visiting competor banks till you get accepted.

Pain itn the a$$ - good luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

200b for an out of province withdrawal sounds wrong, are you sure on that number I thought it was 20b.

My wife had this issue when she moved home from Bangkok to her province. It was 200 Baht with Krung Thai bank for an out of province withdrawal. No probems as a Thai changing branches/province.

Edited by Saltire

Fees

I don't know of a bank that charges for than 20B out of province. 200B for a withdrawal is simply incorrect information for a Thai bank card, 10-20B is normal. I think TMB is free no matter where in Thailand you are.

OP should open a new account in Chiang Rai. If one bank won't, another will, assuming he has a valid non-imm O visa. However, transferring an account, cannot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, naboo said:

Fees

I don't know of a bank that charges for than 20B out of province. 200B for a withdrawal is simply incorrect information for a Thai bank card, 10-20B is normal.

200b sounds like the fee charged for using a foreign card.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

200b sounds like the fee charged for using a foreign card.

You're right, but I was charged 200 baht by Kasikorn for a withdrawal of 20,000 baht on my Chiang Mai Kasikorn passbook in Chiang Rai. Perhaps they make it up as they go along.

21 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I used Krungsri because it was the easiest to open and its a good bank. Visa, rental contract and money. Done. Great net banking too.

I am quite overawed by the thought we may be sharing banking facilities. Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Costs 200 baht if I make a withdrawal in Chiang Rai.

Is that an over the counter withdrawal?

Never experienced such sum at an ATM.

Behavior of Kasikorn is brazen/stupid/ignorant.

Not opening another account for an existing customer and no WP is needed for savings account.

Ignorance and lazyness is the most likely cause.

Is it worth complaining at the head office?

23 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Is that an over the counter withdrawal?

Never experienced such sum at an ATM.

Behavior of Kasikorn is brazen/stupid/ignorant.

Not opening another account for an existing customer and no WP is needed for savings account.

Ignorance and lazyness is the most likely cause.

Is it worth complaining at the head office?

I rarely complain, a waste of time in this culture. It's regarded as insulting. I prefer to take my custom elsewhere and say nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am quite overawed by the thought we may be sharing banking facilities. Thanks.

Dont mention it. Anytime you want to share some of that vast fortune with an unwashed representatitive of the lumpenproletariat, let me know and Ill give you my account.

Go Fund Me. Im ugly but am afraid of surgery, so I need some dosh to rent me love.

OP, go to the main branch for the area, shopping mall branches are often pretty useless. I know with BKK bank there is literally stuff the small branches cannot do.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

never had a problem w/kasikorn... including opening new accounts in different areas... as mentioned above, I go to the main branch... bring your passport, and try not to act like a derelict... [just saying] 

Are you implying I should avoid looking like Nyezhov?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dont mention it. Anytime you want to share some of that vast fortune with an unwashed representatitive of the lumpenproletariat, let me know and Ill give you my account.

Go Fund Me. Im ugly but am afraid of surgery, so I need some dosh to rent me love.

Go to Pattaya, and you won't have a problem. Some of the bar girls there need a bag over their heads.

• Haha 1

I still have my first Kasikornbank acc opened in Bangkok and can renew anywhere in the country, as well make a new card but not open or change the account to the current province. Basically causes me to pay fees over each withdrawal but that is fine with me.

Opened a new Bangkok bank acc. instead as Kasikorn seems to be less easy nowadays.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

If that branch will not do it find another one that will.  I would ask them to call the main office if they have a problem doing it.  If you have someone with you to speak Thai that may help also.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:00 AM, Nyezhov said:

I used Krungsri because it was the easiest to open and its a good bank. Visa, rental contract and money. Done. Great net banking too.

Yes, I have Krungsri, Bangkok Bank and SCB accounts.

The most difficult bank was SCB, one of the branch was particularly unfriendly. They won't open a account for me because I don't have work permit.

I don't have any problems with Krungsri. They are very friendly people.

If you withdraw from an ATM using the K+ app and the "cardless withdrawal" option on the machine, I believe you can use any Kasikorn ATM in Thailand without an additional fee. That may not be a long term solution for you, but at least it would save a few baht while you're arranging to get a new account.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:21 AM, Lacessit said:

Why did you move to Chiang Rai?

I would propose that you open an account with Krungsri instead. I have good experience with their branches in Central Festival and Sansai. They are customer oriented.

I didn't have any problem opening Krungsri with my retirement visa.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:33 PM, Lacessit said:

I rarely complain, a waste of time in this culture. It's regarded as insulting. I prefer to take my custom elsewhere and say nothing.

I moved from Bangkok to Kalasin Province and haven't even tried to open a new account there because I just know I'd get "Cannot." Today I was transiting through Bangkok though and went to my bank, the main Bangkok Bank on Silom, to change my phone number and email address for internet banking. Of course, there was a problem. I'd mistakenly brought my old passbook which was cancelled last year when I gave them my new passport number when I was applying for a new ATM card. The girl first agreed with me that it was a stupid policy that made me physically go to a branch to arrange a change to my internet banking info when I could probably log on and do it on-line in the real world, But then she wouldn't accept my old passbook, bank policy, even though my name and account number were correct, and I had to fax a copy (remember faxes?) of the new book to them. Then I argued the matter, she went to speak to her manager, and suddenly it was okay after all to accept my old passbook. Not my first experience having to argue in a bank before common sense prevails. On another occasion I needed a new passbook as the old one was full. Went to a bank near Pantip - "Cannot". Argue argue argue, manager came, and it was suddenly okay after all. So it can be worth complaining, if it finds you someone with a brain that is able to make a common sense decision.

On 3/1/2020 at 10:42 AM, Don Mega said:

200b for an out of province withdrawal sounds wrong, are you sure on that number I thought it was 20b.

The fee for ATM withdrawals outside the region is only 15 baht.