Britain vows to drive hard bargain in U.S. trade talks

webfact

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, since they are the Democratically elected leaders I would expect them to make the final decision on behalf of their respective sovereign nations. That's how it works outside the EU.  

Good luck with Congress even giving the Donald fast track trade authority...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This makes a mockery of the persistent rants about 'ripped content' & 'having your own opinion' that is constantly shoved in the direction of everyone else..:blink:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

The USA and the Uk should make a deal. It could be a very good one. I am having a hard time figuring out how a small island nation that offers "financial services" offers the USA. 

We already have enough Schwabs, Bloombergs and tawT flannel Inc. of our own. Any deal made by definition would favor Britain because I don't see what they bring to the table. That's okay the British are strong allies and a new deal would change things.

The idea of the Brits playing hardball is simply a fantasy.

Remember Britain and Europe,is America's first line of defence,

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Yes, should be easy, the UK holds all the cards ????????????

The UK does have a trump card, so to speak. Offer Der Donald a dukedom. Make him the Duke of Dumb and he'll give you anything you want.

• Haha 2

Sure you will.  Now that you are no longer part of the EU your bargaining power has stepped up tremendously.  Plus the US is a soft touch under Trump. In fact it may be better than China who have been a total failure in closing a deal with the US.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Just wait to see what the US trade deal does to British farming.

The Americans can get in line. The Australian FTA is first up. Some of the world’s most efficient farmers. 

Edited by samran

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

We already have enough Schwabs, Bloombergs and tawT flannel Inc. of our own. Any deal made by definition would favor Britain because I don't see what they bring to the table. That's okay the British are strong allies and a new deal would change things. <SNIP>

US / UK import export trade

U.S. goods and services trade with United Kingdom totaled an estimated $261.9 billion in 2018. Exports were $140.4 billion; imports were $121.5 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade surplus with United Kingdom was $18.9 billion in 2018. Detail at:

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/europe-middle-east/europe/united-kingdom

My advice would be give trump some shiney baubles so he thinks he got over you but protect the important stuff he doesent care about allies he’s not far sighted enough good luck and for gods sake don’t let him ruin your health care system 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tug said:

My advice would be give trump some shiney baubles so he thinks he got over you but protect the important stuff he doesent care about allies he’s not far sighted enough good luck and for gods sake don’t let him ruin your health care system 

Like give the US the veto of any future UK deals with non market countries they are asking for.

Edited by cleopatra2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, samran said:

The Americans can get in line. The Australian FTA is first up. Some of the world’s most efficient farmers. 

Flame grilled Koala isn't that popular in the UK.????

Seriously though, one minute we're going to have empty shelves and starve to death, the next minute our local farming industry is going to be decimated by the huge influx of cheap food imports from the other side of the world. Make your minds up :crazy:.

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Flame grilled Koala isn't that popular in the UK.????

Seriously though, one minute we're going to have empty shelves and starve to death, the next minute our local farming industry is going to be decimated by the huge influx of cheap food imports from the other side of the world. Make your minds up :crazy:.

Show me where I said the shelves are going to be empty? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do question wisdom of mentioning selling Scottish smoked salmon, or is that to appease the Scots who want to leave the leavers aka UK.

Pressing question is: will Boris fit beneath bus Donald will throw him under? Now that UK has exited EU, no more reason for Trump to play chum with Boris. Do remember

"America first. It will always be America first" per Donald

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 10:11 AM, samran said:

The US need the Uk more than the UK needs them... 555

Its not really about who needs who more than anyone....why not not just sell and buy what each other wants, its quite simple...I loved Europe when you would change your Sterling to Francs, Drachma or Pesos and drink some of the best wine in the world, visit the most beautiful islands and eat stifado or have paella and sangria for breakfast...why so much animosity...its a small world, let's just all get on together like friends and family.

18 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Just wait to see what the US trade deal does to British farming.

Didnt you know, their students are booked to come and do all the veg/fruit picking that the Eastern Europeans can't do...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Didnt you know, their students are booked to come and do all the veg/fruit picking that the Eastern Europeans can't do...

Even though the American students don’t want to pick the fruit in their own country! Might have to include Mexico as part of the deal to make it work...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, samran said:

Even though the American students don’t want to pick the fruit in their own country! Might have to include Mexico as part of the deal to make it work...

That would be fantastic, Mexican food ...wow, yes 

6 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

Translated to true language, 
Britain will give US whatever they wish to get as  Britain need to pay back the US support for Brexit  !

Corbyn said that didnt he....we are doomed all doomed

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is so difficult about seeing reality and accepting reality?

Brexit done? 555 Imagine you are married for 20 years with lots of kids and you just signed the divorce papers. Is now everything "basically done". Or is that likely just the start of the headache?

Do you follow the news? Because if you do that then I don't have to tell you why the UK is worse off - even under the best now possible conditions.

How's Mickey mouseville faring without u$?

• Like 1