New virus test kit has results in under an hour

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A testing kit that can detect the presence of the Covid-19 virus in 30-45 minutes – instantaneously compared to current lab testing, which can take 4-6 hours – is undergoing trials at Siriraj Hospital in Bangkok.

Do I remember correctly that President Trump was waiting two days for his Covid-19 test?

• Like 1

I don't know the specific differences but Vietnam seems to have created a pretty solid test kit.

The kits, which utilize molecular biology techniques, including reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), were developed by the Vietnam Military Medical University and the Viet A Technologies firm, funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology and approved by the Ministry of Health. They can detect the new coronavirus in specimens of droplets obtained from the respiratory tract and blood samples.

. . .

There are enough materials to produce around 3,600 kits right now (a kit’s good for 50 tests) and Viet A is importing more materials to produce another 2,400, the science ministry said.

The firm can produce more if it imports more materials from the U.S. and other countries, the ministry said.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/20-countries-territories-order-covid-19-test-kits-made-in-vietnam-4070785.html

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

25k at Bangkok hospital should be 1000 at most

Virus test at Bangkok hospital 25,000Baht. Not surprised, the owners of this company would sell their mother for a half good price.

Just like limiting monopolies in the food industry (any industry) this company should be barred from buying any more hospitals. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

I have a freind in China that i used to work with in the motorcycle industry that has since moved to be sales for a medical company. They have self test kits that take 3minutes!! 

Are they accurate?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, rabas said:

The article is not clear. I think this is an antibody test for the blood, not a PCR test. Antibody tests are cheaper. Antibody tests observe your immune system after is starts to respond to the virus. It does not work well for asymptomatic cases.

Agree, no detail so not a report that I would base hope on. What technology is employed? Have they found a small critter that turns a bright colour if swimming in the urine of an infected person?

Thailand claims to have developed 500 baht COVID-19 test kits which are capable producing a result in under an hour.

They don't call it Amazing Thailand for nothing.

Thai doctors and researchers tend to be the among the first in the world at developing new products, cures and tests and at a fraction of the price of other countries. 

Edit: I know a guy who was tested at Ramkhamhaeng on Monday and he still hasn't received the result. Just keep away from him as he is quite sick ( not necessarily Covid-19)

Edited by petedk