Post your 1Gb speed tests here

Susco

Just received phone call from NBTC that they accept my new complaint against 3BB.

The Thai communications' law states that the speed within Thailand can not be less than 20% of the speed quoted on the subscription.

So I encourage anyone who has a similar issue, and can't get it sorted by their ISP to send a complaint to NBTC. They accept complaints in English language.

If your ISP use the same LAME excuse that speed test websites can not handle 1000 Mbps download speeds, show them the pictures in this thread, which clearly prove the contrary.

The email address for consumer protection department of NBTC  [email protected]

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Susco said:

If your ISP use the same LAME excuse that speed test websites can not handle 1000 Mbps download speeds, show them the pictures in this thread, which clearly prove the contrary.

And quite well for me at this moment.

speedtest3.jpg

Changed from my 3BB 600/400 plan to their 1000/100 offer.

I'm now getting around 950 down, 105 up with a 5ms ping domestically which is all fine.

However, testing to London I'm getting 50-150 down and around 50 up, which again is fine.  But the ping to London has gone from around 200ms to 450ms.  Is this your experience on international tests?

Jor.

3 hours ago, Susco said:

Just received phone call from NBTC that they accept my new complaint against 3BB.

The Thai communications' law states that the speed within Thailand can not be less than 20% of the speed quoted on the subscription.

So I encourage anyone who has a similar issue, and can't get it sorted by their ISP to send a complaint to NBTC. They accept complaints in English language.

The email address for consumer protection department of NBTC  [email protected]

Think you got problems with 3bb ?

Have had 3BB techs in my house on at least 5 occasions over the last 4 months because my IPTV often stops or freezes . I pay for 1 GB but when I go on the browser i.e TOT , AIS , OOKLA etc I am always under 100 mbps down and the sameish up .       3BB installed their speed test app into my smart TV via my android H96 pro box .That speed test shows in the 900 s on the TV screen . The techs laptop shows high 900 s when connected direct to the router . My set up is fibre cable in to router , LAN cable to android box to LG Smart TV .         I told 3BB office that I had spoken to NBTC and would give them one more chance to resolve the problem . 3BB say the problem is maybe the android box but if that is the case why does their app they installed show high speeds . Fed up paying top dollar for a lousy service . Also customers to my place say the wifi is slow  ( have restaurant )   Wondering if the NBTC send their own people to view the problem ? I have told the 3BB office that I want a refund and cancellation of the 2 year contract . They said why and I said to them , " If you come to  my restaurant and order soup starter , steak and chips followed by strawberries and ice cream and pay upfront and I come back 10 minutes later and say we only have the first course soup and not the main course or sweet what would you say ", they said they would want their money back , I said now do you understand ?  Silence 

Edited by superal
forgot last word

We've had 3BB fibre for a couple of years now and it's never gotten anywhere near the advertised speeds. Many visits from the mechanic boys made small improvements .. including switching ports at the local substation .. but still not great. They 'upgraded' the modem a while back but currently we still only get [on the 1200 package] 600/600 on LAN and a measly 60/60 on WiFi. That's on a [ac capable] Windows 10 PC right next to the modem; 50/50 on my phone. Maybe need to buy my own modem. Thoughts? Suggestions what to buy?

6 minutes ago, Caspersfriend said:

We've had 3BB fibre for a couple of years now and it's never gotten anywhere near the advertised speeds. Many visits from the mechanic boys made small improvements .. including switching ports at the local substation .. but still not great. They 'upgraded' the modem a while back but currently we still only get [on the 1200 package] 600/600 on LAN and a measly 60/60 on WiFi. That's on a [ac capable] Windows 10 PC right next to the modem; 50/50 on my phone. Maybe need to buy my own modem. Thoughts? Suggestions what to buy?

Asus AC86U is a good buy, so does Synology RT2600AC (6990 thb in lazada)

1 hour ago, superal said:

my IPTV often stops or freezes . I pay for 1 GB but when I go on the browser i.e TOT , AIS , OOKLA etc I am always under 100 mbps down and the sameish up .       3BB installed their speed test app into my smart TV via my android H96 pro box

IPTV only needs 15 Mbps for Full HD stream, but that is to the where the IPTV servers are, which is definitely not Thailand.

I'm sure you will get that 15 Mbps to Europe or US, so if your iptv stops it is either the service that sucks or your box.

You can test it here   https://testmy.net/mirror?testServer=uk        Make sure you see London GB at the top of the page , then do a download test

H96 pro runs very hot and when it overheats it will start throttling CPU and other components,  and there are many H96 Pro boxes with a faulty power supply. So if your speed test shows about 15 Mbps the problem is definitely your service or the box

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Susco said:

Now for my main PC, you think that Intel Core i7 with 8Gb Ram with a recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate X64 running from a 500 Gb SSD and the PC connected by a 1.5 meter Cat5e LAN cable directly to the router would suffice?

You should upgrade your LAN interface to GBit spec. 

Your retro I7 gen. 1 with LAN 10/100 is outdated ????

images (4).jpeg

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Susco said:

IPTV only needs 15 Mbps for Full HD stream, but that is to the where the IPTV servers are, which is definitely not Thailand.

I only have 87mbps on speed test average and can do Full HD streams to Amsterdam servers without issues. But no FHD via WiFi obviously.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

You should upgrade your LAN interface to GBit spec. 

Your retro I7 gen. 1 with LAN 10/100 is outdated ????

images (4).jpeg

Did you even bother to read my posts, and see the spec of my PC posted in this thread, or couldn't you resist to make the smart alec post?

And just to add, as it seems you have actually no idea about PC's, what has a processor to do with the Ethernet adapter.

I assume you know that intel core i7 is a processor, and actually far from retro

Edited by Susco

If buying a new router, why buy older technology....that is, an AC (Wifi5) router.    Wifi6 (AX) routers have been out for over a year now....have come down in price a lot....are faster/more capable than Wifi5 (AC) routers.   AX routers are backwards compatible with AC devices/clients.  Yes, you will need an AX device to get the extra speed from an AX router, but more and more devices are now coming with AX Wifi circuits.  Future proof yourself with your next router buy.  

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pib said:

If buying a new router, why buy older technology....that is, an AC (Wifi5) router.    Wifi6 (AX) routers have been out for over a year now....have come down in price a lot....are faster/more capable than Wifi5 (AC) routers.   AX routers are backwards compatible with AC devices/clients.  Yes, you will need an AX device to get the extra speed from an AX router, but more and more devices are now coming with AX Wifi circuits.  Future proof yourself with your next router buy.  

Worthwhile suggestions for sure ... however: In my current situation my own wants/needs are more aligned to consistent streaming at 1080/4K; whilst confined to base by air pollution and COVID-19; being in a vulnerable category. The 'quality' of the router [ FiberHome AN5506-04-FA ] provided by 3BB, plus their inability [or disinterest] in providing something approaching advertised speeds, plus a likely disregard for reasonable contention ratios, doesn't make for a satisfying experience. If I can get them to take notice and fix the issues [!?!?] then WiFi5 should be able to provide that with a decent AC2600 router ... should it not? 

Edited by Caspersfriend
The "should it not?" was retorical as I haven't given sufficient info for anyone to provide an informed response; blame the World leading levels of pollution here causing internal as well as external haze .

My less than a year old Macbook Pro 2019 don't support Wifi 6, my Intel nuc don't support it either. Asus AX6000 and AX11000 is too expensive and none of my devices support it except iPhone 11 pro.

Avoid TP-Link and other chinese routers.

1 hour ago, Caspersfriend said:

Worthwhile suggestions for sure ... however: In my current situation my own wants/needs are more aligned to consistent streaming at 1080/4K; whilst confined to base by air pollution and COVID-19; being in a vulnerable category. The 'quality' of the router [ FiberHome AN5506-04-FA ] provided by 3BB, plus their inability [or disinterest] in providing something approaching advertised speeds, plus a likely disregard for reasonable contention ratios, doesn't make for a satisfying experience. If I can get them to take notice and fix the issues [!?!?] then WiFi5 should be able to provide that with a decent AC2600 router ... should it not? 

To simply stream video any router will work since streaming 4K video only needs around 25Mb speed....even the ISP-provided router is more than good enough.   Your router does "not" determine the speed, domestic or international, the ISP is feeding to your residence. 

If your ISP domestic and/or international speed is low arriving your router, the best/most expensive router in the world....Wifi5 (AC) or Wifi6 (AX).....is not going to help to speed things up except getting better/faster Wifi "within" your home.  But if getting better/faster Wifi it can be no faster than the speed arriving the router for distribution via ethernet or Wifi.....if getting low speed in, then you will get low speed out of the ethernet/Wifi.

Just saying, if you are going to buy a new router to improve your "in-residence" Wifi speed/coverage you should consider buying a Wifi6 router since Wifi6 is replacing Wifi5 and Wifi6 routers don't cost that much more than Wifi5 now days.  You will need Wifi6 clients to take advantage of Wifi6 speeds but more devices everyday are coming out with Wifi6.  My latest Lenovo laptop I bought late last year came with Wifi6.  Many upper tier smartphones are now coming with Wifi6.  If you use a desktop upgrading the desktop to Wifi6 capability is easy/pretty cheap....and in a few cases a person "might" be able to upgrade their laptop's Wifi chip/module to Wifi6.    Wifi6 is no longer the cutting edge; it's now the latest Wifi standard with more Wifi6 routers and client devices coming out each day....the Wifi6 snowball is now rolling fast and getting bigger coming down the hill.

Here's an update on my Wifi6 experience so far with my ASUS AX88U Wifi6 router and my Lenovo P53 laptop with Wifi6 capability.  And although I didn't mention it in below thread I also now have an ASUS AX92U (AX6100)  WIFI6 router that I will be using as an Access Point downstairs in my two story home.....the AX92U will replace an ASUS 55UHP Wifi5 router.  I bought both Wifi6 routers off U.S. Amazon much cheaper including customs and shipping than I could have bought them here in Thailand.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:15 PM, Susco said:

I'm sure you will get that 15 Mbps to Europe or US, so if your iptv stops it is either the service that sucks or your box.

You can test it here   https://testmy.net/mirror?testServer=uk        Make sure you see London GB at the top of the page , then do a download test

H96 pro runs very hot and when it overheats it will start throttling CPU and other components,  and there are many H96 Pro boxes with a faulty power supply. So if your speed test shows about 15 Mbps the problem is definitely your service or the box

image.png.06ab7ab3f53329b816233e4d579150df.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Screenshot 2020-03-21 at 08.48.19.png

Screenshot 2020-03-21 at 08.48.19.png

@ superal,

Those testmy.net "single thread" speed results of 57Mb to London are outstanding....far, far more than you need to stream even 4K video.   And since one of your devices and the 3BB techs laptop pulls over 900Mb at your home, your streaming problem lies with your IPTV service and/or devices.

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

@ superal,

Those testmy.net "single thread" speed results of 57Mb to London are outstanding....far, far more than you need to stream even 4K video.   And since one of your devices and the 3BB techs laptop pulls over 900Mb at your home, your streaming problem lies with your IPTV service and/or devices.

I notice that speed test is even taken over wifi. Most people don't even get that over LAN

superal,  

Have you tried using another IPTV service to see if they play OK or not?  Like below TV streaming website....no VPN connection required....it's free.

http://123tvnow.com/watch/bbc-america/

And how does your streaming work if say streaming a live Youtube video....or a 4K Youtube video?

Just do some streaming tests at some other video streaming sites to help narrow down the source of your streaming problem.  

20 hours ago, Pib said:

I bought both Wifi6 routers off U.S. Amazon much cheaper including customs and shipping than I could have bought them here in Thailand.

That's interesting as I have previously found the opposite to be the case ... eBay.com for sure has become a no-no since they started to apply shipping and imposed 'import duty' charges; eBay.co.uk not so bad. I did take a look on Amazon before buying  the D-Link MU-MIMO DIR-882 AC2600 [stopgap ????] and it was way-way, even way, more than the 2615Baht I paid, including delivery, here. At this stage, I simply want to get a known situation from my end before unleashing the wife on 3BB.

37 minutes ago, Caspersfriend said:

That's interesting as I have previously found the opposite to be the case ... eBay.com for sure has become a no-no since they started to apply shipping and imposed 'import duty' charges; eBay.co.uk not so bad. I did take a look on Amazon before buying  the D-Link MU-MIMO DIR-882 AC2600 [stopgap ????] and it was way-way, even way, more than the 2615Baht I paid, including delivery, here. At this stage, I simply want to get a known situation from my end before unleashing the wife on 3BB.

Since Dec 2019 I've bought four things off US Amazon with two of the four triggering import duties (pretty much anything over $50 triggers an import duty).   Those two triggering import duties of X-amount (approx $20) were the AX88 and AX92 routers.  The orders found their way from US Amazon to my Bangkok home in around 5-7 days....no additional duties/shipping other than what I paid Amazon when placing the order. 

And around two months later I got small refunds on the import duties paid/estimates when ordering.    Based on what the final import fees after refunds worked out to be I was only charged 7% VAT on each router....no other import/customs fee as Thailand has no customs fees on most computer-type gear from most countries....you just pay the 7% VAT if total value of the item plus shipping is over Bt1500.

For my ASUS router orders from US Amazon the total cost including import and shipping was way less than the price in Thailand.  Seems higher end router models like I bought carry a premium price in Thailand, whereas, mid and low end router models are basically the same price as the US. 

AX88 Amazon Order which works out to around Bt9,700...today the cheapest your can find an AX88 in Thailand is around Bt12,400.

image.png.0933c0b0e50799e174f206645a57e0f8.png

AX92 Amazon Order which works out to around Bt7.700.  Not sure you can even buy a single AX92 in Thailand yet....I think just 2 packs are available with the lowest cost being around Bt 19,990 for a 2 pack...or lets just say Bt10,000 for one AX-92 if  you could buy just one. 

image.png.6b9decca83c1fe8d4d8951dc7d8bccc3.png

So, for the particular routers I wanted, buying off Amazon was by far the best, cheapest way to go.

Edited by Pib

14 hours ago, Pib said:

So, for the particular routers I wanted, buying off Amazon was by far the best, cheapest way to go.

Without a doubt. Way cheaper than buying 'new generation' products here, and will remain that way until demand/availability/competition takes effect. In fact [at a glance] those to-your-door prices appear to be less than the shelf price from the ASUS store in Taiwan; where ASUS are based.

For most of us, who are not at the cutting edge, prices here are good ... but only if you shop around. The D-Link router I bought is readily available at prices double [or more!] than the price I paid. In fact, the seller I bought from through Shopee is one of the larger IT companies in Thailand and on their own website the price is 700Baht higher.

Yea, I've noticed over the years it's common for a Thai seller who has a brick-and-mortar store and also sells online like through Lazada or Shoppee or their own website to offer a 5 to 10% (or a lot more) lower price online (including shipping) than physically at their store.   It's like the seller knows many buyers will not buy online if they know they can buy at the store for basically the same price. 

I'm the same way....if I knew a local store had item XYZ for Bt2,000 (including shipping) with online sellers asking Bt1,900 or Bt2,000 for the exact same XYZ item I would most likely buy it at the local store....don't have to wait/be around for delivery...get the item in hand immediately....and can take it back within a week or two for replacement/refund with a lot less hassle if necessary.  

But I sure know I"m doing a lot more online buying now days for electronic type items since the chances of them being DOA is very low and the online prices are usually much lower than physical store prices. 

Additionally the online choices are usually much greater.  Like say if I go to an ITCity or BananaIT store looking to buy a router their selection is not going to be very good....but buying online I have a w.....i......d......e selection and lower prices.  When it comes to electronic/computer type items the rapid growth of online stores has caused many, many small computer stores/shops simply to close up and/or greatly reduce the variety of items offered.  Preaching to the choir I know.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea, I've noticed over the years it's common for a Thai seller who has a brick-and-mortar store and also sells online like through Lazada or Shoppee or their own website to offer a 5 to 10% (or a lot more) lower price online (including shipping) than physically at their store.   It's like the seller knows many buyers will not buy online if they know they can buy at the store for basically the same price.

And then [sadly] arrives the COVID-19 factor ..  many bricks-and-morter sellers are now 'officially' on lockdown, and therefore their only recourse is to sell online. Lazada [by way of an example] have a "BIRTHDAY" celebration event coming up on the 27th. It's bound to be successful under current circumstances. I have much sympathy for the delivery drivers, who get exposed to the possibility of COVID-19 migration every day. Same applies to taxi drivers and the myriad of delivery agents; Grab et al.

Edited by Caspersfriend