Buffaloes, huh, yeah What are they good for - Absolutely nothing?

To paraphrase the song:

Buffaloes, huh, yeah
What are they good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, why'all

Mrs C has a few buffaloes on her land in Isaan, together with some cows. Seems that they have all been purchased to save them from the slaughter house. They can't be sold and must be fed and cared for. It's not expensive and I'm not complaining.

My question is about buffaloes. I asked Mrs C "Why do people keep buffaloes, is it for the milk, the meat?". "No, we don't eat the meat or drink the milk".

The nearest I got to an answer is that some buffaloes are special (competition winners) and can be sold on for a good profit.

Whenever we are up country I see people herding their buffalo from one field to the next all day long. It seems like a lot of work for no apparent benefit.

So, you guys who have made a life in the sticks - What is the value of raising buffalo?
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

its like owning a Mercedes.

and i am not saying there is anything wrong with owning a Mercedes.

I understand that there is a "face" value - but I see countryside folks, who live in a tin shack and have no means of transport other than an old Honda Dream, spending half their day taking care of animals that (on the face of it) don't produce anything edible.

43 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Mrs C has a few buffaloes on her land in Isaan

Turn 'em into Soldier's C L .. Bob Marley did .. ( sorry sorry )

Can you not race them like they do down South .. as far as I can see you only need a camp Freddie chiffon scarf and a stick to get started .. What's not to like ..

( and some of them hover as well judging by that pic' ) .. 

IMG_20200320_172303.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

when i lived in guangxi province, bought bottled water buffalo milk in one of the local shops.  high fat content, makes excellent mozzarella. 

if you don't have access to rennet, white vinegar will do.

BAI85.jpg

BAI86.jpg

BAI87.jpg

That would/could be a way to make a baht or two from buffalo milk (I would definitely be a customer for Thai buffallo mozzarella), but I don't see it happening in Isaan.

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

That would/could be a way to make a baht or two from buffalo milk (I would definitely be a customer for Thai buffallo mozzarella), but I don't see it happening in Isaan.

does mrs c. have a niece or nephew that could open a pizza stand?  guaranteed better flavor than pizza hut at half the price.  then add a couple nephews that can deliver by bike during the virus lockdown.

or sell it to the bars.............deep fried mozzarella sticks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Yes, in times gone by. But people are paying thousands of baht for them now. That is what I can't understand.

Sort of like show dogs. You dont eat them either.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Sort of like show dogs. You dont eat them either.

Koreans do.

When I was in Timor, steak at the hotels was always buffalo meat. Quite tasty, cooked in coconut oil.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Koreans do.

When I was in Timor, steak at the hotels was always buffalo meat. Quite tasty, cooked in coconut oil.

Buffalo can be tasty if prepared correctly. Bison are even better. Corn fed whitetails are the best.

Except for a carefully aged Kansas or Oklahoma Rib Eye.

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

The were beasts of burden, and were used in rice farms . Don't think they have any real use anymore. 

In many countries, Buffalo has been primarily a symbol of provision, abundance, and prosperity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Buffalo fighting is popular here on Samui. Or it was until the PM stopped it due to the virus.

he could have jumped in the Ring,

and raised his hands in between! 

- he does The Matador' thing well 

image.jpeg.02bd45592dee2d99ca6b4d8fa453f830.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

What is your problem ?

I am just sitting in my hole minding my own business !!

172E4600-6451-4AC5-8247-FB4BF91DBFAD.thumb.png.f5e38bc34671a4cd91b146c866732100.png

Thats is such a happy picture! Happy happy happy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I understand that there is a "face" value - but I see countryside folks, who live in a tin shack and have no means of transport other than an old Honda Dream, spending half their day taking care of animals that (on the face of it) don't produce anything edible.

you see the same in Los Angeles.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Whenever we are up country I see people herding their buffalo from one field to the next all day long. It seems like a lot of work for no apparent benefit.

Well all I know is there cows and need a buffalo to produce more.

When we had bought 9 young cows we were asked if we wanted to buy a buffalo.

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Buffalo can be tasty if prepared correctly. Bison are even better. Corn fed whitetails are the best.

Except for a carefully aged Kansas or Oklahoma Rib Eye.

Sigh. I keep telling you a Gippsland eye fillet is so much better than that feedlot <deleted>, because we feed the cattle with real grass. Can be cut with a fork, so tender. One of the things I miss, with a hearty Shiraz, naturally.

Why do I get the feeling I am trying to describe colors to a blind man?

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

because we feed the cattle with real grass

Didnt know you had grass in that giant desert penitentiary you call home. Clearly you have never seen an American artisan beef producer.

But then again, with the value of your "money" you couldnt afford a USA Prime. Stick to the lesser Australian and Laotian grades.

20 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

So, you guys who have made a life in the sticks - What is the value of raising buffalo?

Same as keeping a cat or dog ............ They're nice enough pets.

I have some out the back of my house, always up to something.

IMG_20200307_072430.jpg.11e47302020081c199af37aeb8cd0d89.jpg

Seems to be a bit of a c.ock waving thing up here. The more you have the more prestige it seems to bring. 

I was told that they increase in value and if reared from young fetch good stud money later on. All B.ollox of course as the old man had 4 at one time and they have either died or been worthless to the point where he couldn’t give them away let alone make a profit. 

As someone else said it seems to be like a pet thing and a good excuse to do f.uck all apart from walk them around and find somewhere to stuff their face. 

My girlfriend used to say her papa was at work whilst taking them for walkies ????

• Like 1

Why do Thai's keep buffaloes ,they  do it as a bank ,they do  not cost a lot to keep ,and any problems they will sell a few ,same with Thai beef cattle .

Wife's son-in law ,sold a few ,he wanted the money to buy a Kwie Lec,a walk behind tractor ,60k,same as my neighbour ,he sold two beef bulls and bought a  small tractor ,cost him almost noting ,just a bit of labour to look after them .

• Like 2

for snaring dumb farlangs into making mystery payments into some mysterious war chest

quite a few die at a young age so vets bills can be high to keep em alive

and they genereate a lot of poo for fertilizer on those rice fields

Edited by 3NUMBAS