Thailand reports 50 new Covid-19 cases

webfact

Thailand reports 50 new Covid-19 cases

By The Nation

800_f5bb70eb55e3fa4.jpg?v=1586494710

Thailand’s total number of Covid-19 patients rose to 2,473 with 50 new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period, and one more death, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Friday (April 10).

The cases can be divided into three groups.

The first group of 27 had close contact with others previously confirmed as infected (mostly in Bangkok, 11)

The second group comprised 15 people of whom three Thais had just returned from overseas (two from UK and one from the US), five were working in crowded areas or close to foreigners, three went to crowded areas, and four are medical staff.

The third group of eight are being investigated on the source of the infection (4 in Phuket).

Meanwhile, 73 people have fully recovered and returned home.

A 43-year-old female merchant, who suffered from systemic lupus erythematosus, died after being admitted to hospital with fever and difficulty in breathing.

As of April 10, the total number of confirmed cases in the country stood at 2,473 -- 1,427 are under treatment, 1013 have recovered and been discharged, and there have been 33 deaths.

Globally, there are more than 1.6 million confirmed cases and around 95,000 deaths.

200410.JPG

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385729

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-10

Whether you believe the numbers or not, at least they’re consistently low. The authorities also seem to know where most of the new cases originated, which is comforting.

I wish the government would tell us, though, what their criterion is for relaxing the restrictions. Obviously, there won’t be any relaxation until Songkran is over, but it would be nice to know what they’re aiming at in the medium term. Consistently less than fifty new cases a day seems to be the most common criterion being bandied around by other countries, but the CCSA are reportedly unhappy with the latest numbers and are talking about tightening restrictions.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Whether you believe the numbers or not, at least they’re consistently low. The authorities also seem to know where most of the new cases originated, which is comforting.

I wish the government would tell us, though, what their criterion is for relaxing the restrictions. Obviously, there won’t be any relaxation until Songkran is over, but it would be nice to know what they’re aiming at in the medium term. Consistently less than fifty new cases a day seems to be the most common criterion being bandied around by other countries, but the CCSA are reportedly unhappy with the latest numbers and are talking about tightening restrictions.

I don't really believe the numbers either. 

They seem to be doing the right things now with the imports/returnees after the phi noi fiasco in early March.  

• Confused 1

50 known and then you need to add a lot to that and you don't need to believe in any cover-up conspiracy theories to realize that. 

Why? 

This isn't Singapore as far as organizational capabilities Nuff said. 

A very large percentage of the infected have mild symptoms and will never even see a doctor, never get  tested, and never be counted. Hopefully they are mostly self isolating. 

International studies so far indicate about 20 to 50 percent of cases have no symptoms. This group not counted. 

Testing is still limited in volume in Thailand. I assume that's largely because of limited capability to do massive testing or maybe that's partly policy. Either way it's a fact that the more testing the higher the case counts. 

So folks sorry to say 50 confirmed new cases a day isn't really the best of news. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

50 known and then you need to add a lot to that and you don't need to believe in any cover-up conspiracy theories to realize that. 

Why? 

A very large percentage of the infected have mild symptoms and will never even see a doctor, never bed  tested, and never be counted. Hopefully they are mostly self isolating. 

International studies so far indicate about 20 to 50 percent of cases have no symptoms. This group not counted. 

Testing is still limited in volume in Thailand. I assume that's largely because of limited capability to do massive testing or maybe that's partly policy. Either way it's a fact that the more testing the higher the case counts. 

So folks sorry to say 50 confirmed cases a day isn't really the best of news. 

I don't see a justification for mass testing in Thailand at this time. Only abotu 3% of tests are coming back positive. In the uS that number is 20%. Testing solution is limited and tests should only be carried out on those most likely to be infected. Thee could well be many people with the virus and not presenting symptoms - if they are efficient spreaders of the virus here I would expect many more positive cases than we are seeing. 

As for 20-50% not showing any symptoms - curent studies suggest the majority go on to show symptoms, even if theya are mild. The main focus should be on isolating the elderly and immunosuppressed. Let's see how it is at the end of April. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I don't see a justification for mass testing in Thailand at this time. Only abotu 3% of tests are coming back positive. In the uS that number is 20%. Testing solution is limited and tests should only be carried out on those most likely to be infected. Thee could well be many people with the virus and not presenting symptoms - if they are efficient spreaders of the virus here I would expect many more positive cases than we are seeing. 

As for 20-50% not showing any symptoms - curent studies suggest the majority go on to show symptoms, even if theya are mild. The main focus should be on isolating the elderly and immunosuppressed. Let's see how it is at the end of April. 

Sounds like you have an agenda to push quicker opening. I am just stating the obvious that 50 may or may not be the tip of the iceberg but it is the tip of something unknown. 

Source please on your positive testing stat.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Singapore has very strict control of the press, 21 years in jail if you print something that the "government" deems fake news. There is little "publicity" being given to all the workers they simply ignored being in lockdown in in-human conditions, 12 men to a room - if they are lucky!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-singapore-migrants/migrant-workers-fear-massive-singapore-dormitory-lockdown-is-coronavirus-time-bomb-idUSKBN21O138

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Really need at least 2 weeks with no new cases

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

It has been posted regionally but the last I heard it was not a national ban but based on province. Are you saying that the policy is now national? 

It seems like it's a Metropolitan BKK thing with other proivinces doing their own thing. Ahhhhhh! I didn't know. There's going to be trouble for sure. More thought bubble policy but it doesn't seem to be national for now. Imagine province where you live you can't get it but neighbouring province you can. Pure madness.

It is surprsing numbers, but the hospitals in the country are not full of patients.  You would think they would be as many older people here are in poor health smoking and Thai whiskey.  Thais normally go to the emergency for a simple runny nose.  I assume many they are not tested and sent home with meds to recover.  The numbers are probably higher, but I do not believe some astronomical amount.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

if the daily update was we have 57 positives from the number tested daily be it 120 or 10,000 and where were the tests conducted we would have meaningful data.

Maybe its just us pesky farangs being so nosey with a need to know.

Sure the Thais will  just use the last weeks reported daily numbers for lottery numbers!

53 minutes ago, garygooner said:

Not just Thailand. Look at the low cases in Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam & Malaysia too. Thailand has also conducted more tests than many countries including Japan.  

Every day there is a post that deserves an award. You made it today. Are you proud?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Indonesia has 1 death per million population as compared to Thailands .5 deaths per million?

I am not an Indonesia supporter but what do you contest about there numbers which have twice the deaths per million population than here in Thailand? 

Both are hot weather, humid southern hemisphere countries.

57 minutes ago, garygooner said:

Not just Thailand. Look at the low cases in Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam & Malaysia too. Thailand has also conducted more tests than many countries including Japan.  

Thailand has tested relatively few people in comparison with countries outwith the SEA region. 

Good luck finding a hospital in Cambodia, let alone a place that will test.

3 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Forget the numbers. See what's visible to the naked eye:

1. Are hospitals overwhelmed with C-19 a la NY. No. That would be impossible to keep out of local/international media.

2. Is Thailand scrambling on the international market for ventilators/HCQ/PPE? No.

3. How alarmed is Thai social media? I am not fluent enough in Thai to follow but from the few Thais I talk to, not much. This is particularly significant because bad news will leak locally.

If we got numbers coming out like NY, it would be splashed all over social media. With this focused based testing they are doing now, your not going to get high numbers unless you test higher numbers.

As other posters mentioned, I would love to know Thailand's magic formula in staving off a pandemic. We had hundreds of thousands of Chinese from hot spots let in and so far to date, we are up their with the numbers of being world beaters in repressing this outbreak. In reality I hope it is true but how certain can we be. 

• Like 2