Is it me or do Thai women just not say thank you?

Elizway

My wife, her mother, and her sisters all say thank you when appropriate. This has been the case for over 20 years.

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

I am of the opinion that you do not receive verbal gratitude because they have come to expect your generosity and thoughtfulness as a matter of everyday living...

How quickly they forget from whence they came.

Those ingrates should worship the ground !!

• Haha 2

People often reciprocate, so I would ask, how often does the OP say thank you to anyone ? 

I have always had a "thank you" from any of my Thai family from 4 -74  at the appropriate time, and I have always said it to them too.

• Like 2

Thinking about it, the "thank you" isn't used much here, I have never heard "thank you" at any checkout by locals, only me....????

Mrs.Trans only uses it when I fix something, that's after I have pointed out that I fixed it...????

• Like 2

saying a thank you is meaningless for a Mrs, as what you have just done for - is Expected

Besides what Boss would say thank you, to a slave? 

the other thing is I get told off, if I do something 'helpful' if I hadn't been Ordered to do 'it' in the first place... 

"I didn't Order you to do dat" is apparently more satisfying for the boss to output... but really is just bosses easiest excuse, to avoid having to say the 'thank you'

from my experience it is just not part of the culture/etiquette - the thank you is assumed. If you treat someone to dinner, of course thank you, it does not need to be expressed in words...

After my wife spent time in USA, she learned that it is part of our culture and that it sounds good and makes Westerners happy, so she says "thank you so much," when dealing with Westerners... w/me it is off and on but I understand it is just a cultural difference.. 

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Not customers, no...Staff do, they are instructed to....????

yes, - - cashiers are instructed to... so, who are you complaining about? why would another customer in a store thank you? do you walk around stores thanking other customers? 

• Haha 2

Just now, kenk24 said:

yes, - - cashiers are instructed to... so, who are you complaining about? why would another customer in a store thank you? do you walk around stores thanking other customers? 

Let me start again.......If I am in a queue at any store, I have never heard a local say thank you to staff when given their change, never. .......????

• Like 1