Number of new COVID-19 cases in Thailand fall for fifth consecutive day

webfact

Number of new COVID-19 cases in Thailand fall for fifth consecutive day

BREAKING.jpg

The number of new COVID-19 cases in Thailand have fallen for a fifth consecutive day.

On Monday, health officials announced 28 new cases, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 2,579.

Two new deaths were reported, bringing the total number of fatalities to 40.

A further 70 people have been discharged having made a full recovery, bringing the total number of people discharged to 1,288.

Of the new cases, 18 are linked to previous cases, 7 without connection to old cases, and 3 are Thai nationals who had traveled to South Sulawesi province, Indonesia for a religious gathering last month.

Majority of the new cases are in the capital Bangkok, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman of the government's Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration.

Over the past four previous days, Thailand reported 54 new cases on Thursday, 50 on Friday, 45 on Saturday, 33 on Sunday and 28 today (Monday).

The figures announced on Monday (13 April) are the lowest since 14 March. 

Reuters contributed to this report.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-13

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Good news.

One thing that intrigues me about these numbers is how low the death rate is and the relatively high number of recoveries (around 50%, compared with a bit over 20% globally at present). Notwithstanding people's doubts about the numbers themselves, I'm wondering if these encouraging trends have anything to do with them using favipiravir to treat the patients, or at least the worst cases?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

They are using hydroxychloriquin and an anti viral, I don't recall favipiravir being mentioned in a facebook post earlier confirming the treatment a patient had

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Good news.

One thing that intrigues me about these numbers is how low the death rate is and the relatively high number of recoveries (around 50%, compared with a bit over 20% globally at present). Notwithstanding people's doubts about the numbers themselves, I'm wondering if these encouraging trends have anything to do with them using favipiravir to treat the patients, or at least the worst cases?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

Its been on a long slow burn in Thailand, one of the reasons for higher recovery rates at the moment. 

When covid really takes hold you get a lot of deaths up front (initial high death rate) followed later by the recoveries, as this takes time (later higher survival rate)

Anyway, recovery rates everywhere only have so much meaning as the testing approach varies so much. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

As for worldometre testing in Thailand hasn't moved since early last week.

They took the news where the apparent camera shot of some internal document of MoPH showed 50k more tests done privately and have stuck with that. Would not be surprised if they read TVF for such news.

• Like 1

The big question tht people do not know for sure is the number of cases that required hospitalization.  

A lot of people are diagnosed with it but may have a very "light" case of it and are just quarantined like you do for the flu or such.

The big question now is going to be 

1. How is the government going to re open things

2. Will Thai people listen or just open their shops right away?

3. What new parameters are schools going to have for children that are sick?

The system has t be started slowly places like MBK and Platinum mall where everything is crowded have to be some of the last places to open.   I would think open stores and let peope get back to work.  Posssibly add more trains to BTS and restrict the number of people getting into cars (if possible)

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

They are using hydroxychloriquin and an anti viral, I don't recall favipiravir being mentioned in a facebook post earlier confirming the treatment a patient had

Here's what they are using, straight from MoPH itself: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/g_treatment.pdf

Chloroquine, not hydroxychloriquin. I'd guess price issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The number of tests hasn't moved again, still 71,860, i did wonder if it was artificially high when one day it jumped from 25k to 71,860.

They stopped relying on MoPH's daily report numbers and the only source for that 71,680 figure was a seemingly leaked MoPH document. MoPH does have figures but is not publishing them. Worldometer and other simply aggregate sources and from Thailand there's only MoPH.

Edited by DrTuner

1 hour ago, webfact said:

On Monday, health officials announced 28 new cases, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 2,579.

Two new deaths were reported, bringing the total number of fatalities to 40.

Whatever happened to that guy A-nut-in, he would have loved to be beating his chest for this, well I suppose we can do without him ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some 120,000 tablets of Favipiravir, an antiviral drug, will be imported for the battle against Covid-19, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Wednesday (March 18).

• Thanks 1