UK tells doctors to treat COVID-19 patients without full-length gowns due to shortage: report

rooster59

UK tells doctors to treat COVID-19 patients without full-length gowns due to shortage: report

2020-04-17T173312Z_1_LYNXMPEG3G1YY_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: General view of the logo on a member of staff's scrubs at St George’s Hospital as the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues, London, Britain, April 14, 2020. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

LONDON (Reuters) - British healthcare staff have been advised to treat COVID-19 patients without full-length protective gowns due to shortages of equipment, the Guardian newspaper reported on Friday.

Health minister Matt Hancock told a committee of lawmakers earlier that Britain was "tight on gowns" but had 55,000 more arriving on Friday and was aiming to get the right equipment where it was needed by the end of this weekend.

The Guardian reported that with hospitals across England set to run out of supplies within hours, Public Health England had changed guidelines which stipulated full-length, waterproof surgical gowns should be worn for high-risk hospital procedures.

The new advice says that when gowns run out alternative options include using a plastic apron, borrowing supplies from other hospitals, or wearing coveralls, the Guardian reported.

Sky News reported doctors and nurses had also been advised that single-use gowns could be used again because of the shortage.

The Department for Health and Social Care did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the change of advice.

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; editing by William James)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-18

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

UK garment manufacturers have the capability to produce these supplies - Guess What, the Government are not even talking to them:

The article only really notes manufacturers that the government isn't speaking with. One sided story. 

Says they are trying to procure PPE from already made and prepared stock globally as a first priority, which is reasonable. 

Lastly, I hope that nations learn their lesson relying on China for their NATIONAL HEALTHCARE service. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Truly mind boggling. Where are the nursing unions on this tragic situation?

My thoughts exactly health and safety as well never heard from either keep changing the rules to as and when it suits them no wonder ppl are laughing at uk 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Gilltom said:

My thoughts exactly health and safety as well never heard from either keep changing the rules to as and when it suits them no wonder ppl are laughing at uk 

Who are these people that are laughing at the UK, have you a link?

• Confused 1

I don't "get" this.

Engineering factories can re-tool and start producing complex ventilators in days, but a plastic bag manufacturer can't convert to make gowns?  A garment manufacturer can't make masks?

Am I missing something here?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

The Civil Service simply follows UK Govt policy which under the last Tory Administrations has been the running down of the NHS and outsourcing of supplies to the cheapest possible suppliers. The UK is now paying the price for having such an extended, convoluted supply chain.

I should add two of my daughters work in the NHS, one in admin the other on the front line and they both unreservedly blame the Govt for the current extent of the tragedy. 

they both unreservedly blame the Govt for the current extent of the tragedy. 

I hope that includes New Labour which wasted 6 billion on the NHS by not reforming the management.

The hospital I worked for allowed financial corruption by consultants, and my area created 2 new managers that were not needed, just as with most of admin.

I'd hazard a guess that politicians know as much about the NHS as most people and that's next to nothing. The whole NHS needed dismantling 10 years ago and reforming with half the number of managers to carry out needed procedures instead of consultants wet dreams.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let’s stick with the government of the day being held accountable for the actions/inaction of the Government of the day.

We can do history at our leisure when we have time to refer to more reliable sources.

A reformed NHS management 10 years ago would mean a better NHS today. Can't escape the mistakes of the past.

I'll go further- by allowing management to waste the 6 billion quid the result is the incompetent NHS of today. I realise you probably "dislike" the Tories, but blame needs to be put where it belongs.

BTW the government doesn't manage the NHS- that is a function of the bureaucracy. I'm happy to blame them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Ministers chose to ignore a report of 3 years ago that the UK would be overwhelmed should a pandemic strike.

Ah decisions decisions. Continue to pay the dole to the 3 generations living in devastated northern cities or put money into a pandemic response that might not happen. They did what any politicians would do. 

• Confused 2

It is not just Gowns. Heard this morning that some hospitals are running out of oxygen to give patients. A necessity for critically ill Covid-19 patients (Boris needed it or he might not have survived).

That sounds criminal because oxygen is produced in the UK, so you cannot blame it on lack of world supplies.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A reformed NHS management 10 years ago would mean a better NHS today. Can't escape the mistakes of the past.

I'll go further- by allowing management to waste the 6 billion quid the result is the incompetent NHS of today. I realise you probably "dislike" the Tories, but blame needs to be put where it belongs.

BTW the government doesn't manage the NHS- that is a function of the bureaucracy. I'm happy to blame them.

10 years ago the government had been prorogued pending a general election. The cunservatives won that and had a huge NHS reform in 2012. Waste of time and money and left us where we are now. Underfunded and underprepared.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

The deflection is beyond pathetic. I read posts on this topic and lose the will to live. Since when did we stop blaming the government when they make a total mess of the job. That why we pay them and give them fancy cars. We elect them to do a job, not to blame someone else, the buck stops with them, and always has done, if Blair invades Iraq, we hold him responsible. If a new bridge collapses killing hundreds ultimately the PM is responsible not the concrete manufacturer. Despite a compliant media the politicians can't squeeze out of this one like some slimy snake. That TV Tory posters even have the nerve to defend the indefensible beggars belief.

And finally we must remember we stepped out of an excellent EU joint procurement offer for PPE etc for what Gove essentially admitted were Brexit ideological reasons. So how many deaths of young doctors and nurses is worth your twisted ideology. Maybe the Bojo lovers would like to put their money where their mouths are and help bury them.

"Since when did we stop blaming the government when they make a total mess of the job."

You did by your insistence to blame new Labour in stead of the 10+ years of conservative governments.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

"Since when did we stop blaming the government when they make a total mess of the job."

You did by your insistence to blame new Labour in stead of the 10+ years of conservative governments.

Where did I blame new labour for the years of Tory Austerity, I think you have your posts mixed up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1