Life after lock-down in Thailand - cheaper or more expensive?

Pravda

supermarket, not sure, probably the same to a little higher.  or simply harder to get your strange german cheese.

in stores that sell watches, electronics, clothes, i'm guessing it CAN be much lower if you have a brain.

me:  "Wow, 1700 baht.  omg, covid no money.  i guess i don't need.  well, i don't know.......(30 second pause)......how about 1200?   Oh, you can do 1500?  no, that's ok, i'll wait.  but 1200 ok.   oh, ok?  ok ok"

they want to get rid of inventory.  probably not losing money, not making money.  well, maybe it's from China and it cost them 1 baht.  who knows.

if i was in a big city, maybe i'll be looking at a used ipad PRO or something like that.... ok, 10000?  wow, cannot.  6000 you ok?

On 4/19/2020 at 11:51 AM, OneeyedJohn said:

I am thinking only about availability at the moment, price doesn't concern me, but it always goes up in April every year so I expect to pay at least 660 baht a case of Chang next time I am allowed to buy.

Please God let it be May 1st.

What a life having to depend on alcohol like that. ????

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, varun said:

Let's be realistic here people - the most important thing to discuss is if ST/LT rates will fall or rise.

I've been called "hansum man" more times in the past 2 months than the previous 5 years combined - YMMV

i have never been called "hansum man", But I am, honest. Maybe I have not been hanging around the right places. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, baansgr said:

The usual suspects will increase prices...flights, taxi drivers bar owners... essentials as food stay the same

And down goes the spiral of earnings for them again as before greed did it 

Edited by david555

On 4/19/2020 at 9:15 AM, Pravda said:

I'm thinking high inflation worldwide due to money printing.

Some retired folks from certain countries who have their pensions locked may be in  the world of pain.

Been a bit sensitive for years now.   :wai:

I don't know but I saw Durian being sold at a supermarket today and was a lot higher than the last time I bought it. My wife usually buys it  ( I don't eat it) but when I picked some up for her before it did't seem that high.  Maybe cause its not in season?

A plethora of world's economist are mulling over this issue as we speak. Only given is a recession of some magnitude is around corner. The rest of Thaivisa respondents are just guessing. The governments have a bag of tricks at their disposal depending on severity of crunch. Let's wait & see.

On 4/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, BritManToo said:

The first thing I think about the price and availability of hookers.

Second cannabis ......... alcohol comes in 3rd.

Number one is in home(sometimes school girl, judge or what ever come my dirty mind) , second from village police who grow (if want to buy). 3rd just buy 2 case Chang

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 12:18 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Thai economics would decree raising prices to make up for what's lost, but lowering prices will bring in more people so more money, but wtfk

like a bar girl..

On 4/19/2020 at 11:18 AM, jackdd said:

Thailand depends more on tourism than our home countries (at least for most of us), and tourism will probably be hit the hardest of all sectors. Thus i guess that the Thai baht will fall and if your money comes from abroad, life in Thailand will become cheaper.

The baht hasn't fallen so far. 

Last week my most expensive spend was 185 Baht for Hamburger and chips (British chips) and I spent just over 1000 Baht all week.

Nothing to spend my money on at the moment, so after this is all over, it will be more expensive than it is now.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:15 AM, Pravda said:

I'm thinking high inflation worldwide due to money printing.

Some retired folks from certain countries who have their pensions locked may be in  the world of pain.

Let's all hope it will only be high inflation and not hyperinflation, rendering your savings virtually worthless. If a second wave takes off around the world, this could happen. Perhaps the major economies will recover from money printing in a single wave, but it won't survive a second round.

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

In US News today and tend to agree. Most experts believed that once the crisis was over, the nation and its economy would revive quickly. But there would be no escaping a period of intense pain.

Have you met an expert that even has a clue? If so, please point me in his direction so I can learn what might happen.  

In my lay opinion, mitigation merely delays the inevitable, and as soon as social distancing ceases, a new pandemic wave starts over again. I don't hear anything from experts that makes me think anything else can happen.

In 1918, a more deadly second wave hit hard in the US fall. What happens in the Southern Hemisphere may give us a clue what could happen as winter approaches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You miss the trips or the extra Bills that they bring, confused here...

Nothing confusing, I miss not being able to go on my regular road trips on the motorbike, each trip means about three nights in a hotel, so I save the cost of the hotels.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:33 AM, tomazbodner said:

It's amazing the first (and only) thing some people think about is price and availability of alcohol. Actually it's not amazing, it's sad.

Guarantee free alcohol for anyone who can consume 5 liters of 50% alcohol content under 8 hours of drinking, that should solve all problems and make life much easier for everyone involved.

Oil contracts for May are now negative, people will pay you to take it off their hands. Gasoline prices and hence travel should get cheaper for those with cars and scooters. Airlines will follow the Thai model of fewer customers, raise prices.