First, ask yourself, "why are these guys going to Thailand?"

1.  women

2.  escape

3.  forget

4.  money problems

5.  start over

6.  not think

7.  die

I think that should be asked for in a poll.

personally I only tick  3 of those boxes   ????????????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, rumak said:

I think that should be asked for in a poll.

personally I only tick  3 of those boxes   ????????????

Me too ........ I've scored the top 3, woman, escape, forget .............. haven't died so far.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

Just now, CharlieH said:

Slight variation on that "family" comment. I dont agree that friends are like family. The best saying I heard on that score was "you can choose your friends but not your family" and in my case, if they werent family I wouldnt want to know them at all !!

So no, being family is not necessarily a good thing, cos you are kinda stuck with them. Friends to me are better because you choose them, not stuck with them. ????

well Charlie......  you are like family to me   5555555555555

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Me too ........ woman, escape, forget .............. haven't died so far.

haha   great.    i chose start over instead of forget.    the other two same same  ????

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan said:

living in various parts of the country over the years

like Pattaya? have you been to any places that are not tourist traps? have you made any Thai friends? 

my guess is that if you hang out in lady bars, the clients are there because they are looking for something different than a Liverpool fan... 

• Haha 1

I demand 100 percent sincerity and integrity..... and an IQ  over 75.

all three in one person hard to find .   usually takes me about half hour to see which

traits are missing

more seriously:   casual friendships with some thais,  and some farangs, I have.

There is a reason that even thai people do not want to get "too friendly" with

neighbors, etc.    Maybe the same reason that farangs have with other farangs.

The initial friendliness somehow changes as we get to know each other better.

"familiarity breeds contempt"   .    BTW:  this saying originated in the 1300's !!

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

So no, being family is not necessarily a good thing, cos you are kinda stuck with them. Friends to me are better because you choose them, not stuck with them. ????

I could not agree more! ???? 

• Like 2

Most of the people I meet are either tourists or what most people would consider 'undesirables.'

I guess no one can be same perfect like you. Maybe you just have to consider lowering your expectations regarding what you seem to see like trash under your high and mighty feets.

Friendship with Thais I would say is impossible.

To make friends with people, you would probably have to engage in talking to them. Have you tried that, or have you never bothered to learn their language? If the latter, then it looks like you are the one making yourself impossible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

You're living in a foreign country, and maybe don't entirely understand the culture or the language. 

The foreign population is very transient by nature, and bars in every country in the world are full of drunks. 

My advice would be for you to join a gym, or a golf club, or a running club, or a local round table. 

Even though I'm not a member of any of those places myself, I imagine you would at least meet some people who are not just here for short time, and it will give you a better pool from which to find the type of friendship that you're looking for. 

For now though, you will just have to suck it up... 

Stay home and stay safe ????

• Like 2