RIP Pattaya

Silent Tiger

2 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

I do quite well for myself, much better than to want to retire in a dump like pattaya. I worked hard all my life, have a great portfolio, great pension. No tin cups for me, thank god!  

Excuse me, 3 pensions, work pension and every canadian gets 2 government pensions.

great to be a Canuck!

Not great to be you though, so negative, try and work out why so angry it might help you

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Must be joking, are you talking about the little Britains in Spain? Looked LOSO to me but of course they probably think they are HISO. Like everywhere, more upmarket places in Spain but lots of Chavs 

No,what I was talking about is how Spain tried to clamp down on all the cheap booze bars and attract  more affluence and dropped an almighty b*****k because their former tourists went elsewhere.you seem to be commenting on Spain in the present tense I referred to what they did 30 years ago and pattaya seems to be emulating.

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

In the good old days in Loei, I didn't have to walk down the street.  The girls who worked at the residential whorehouse a few houses up

You are showing your age   haha .    All the young studs posting their exploits at bar beers or the

like have no idea of that era.     "song" (falling tone)      was to be found in many a town ,

On the down side......  many of those girls were there due to parents borrowing money .

On 4/24/2020 at 8:18 AM, scubascuba3 said:

The nickname Naan Plaza killed it before it started

Ha Ha for sure doomed to fail, That Avenue whatever goes up comes down a few months later, nothing has ever worked there except for maccas, villa mart and the cinema, i liked it more when that eyesore wasn't there, anyone remember the hotels that were there i stayed at some early 90s but cant remember what the names were

33 minutes ago, Silent Tiger said:

Pattaya is the long haul Benidorm with punters hunting for English bars cheap booze pissing everywhere with football shirts on looking for beans on toast on a dinnertime when they surface ???? 

The truth hurts, exactly the same Euro Trash.

• Confused 1

On 4/27/2020 at 5:23 PM, rodpav said:

if it works out that way that will be awesome

Why will that be awesome for you?

I like the choice and variety and availability here.  We have these because of tourism here.  I wouldn't like to see closed businesses everywhere. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rodpav said:

Ha Ha for sure doomed to fail, That Avenue whatever goes up comes down a few months later, nothing has ever worked there except for maccas, villa mart and the cinema, i liked it more when that eyesore wasn't there, anyone remember the hotels that were there i stayed at some early 90s but cant remember what the names were

Those were the days my friend we thought they,d never end............

40 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why will that be awesome for you?

I like the choice and variety and availability here.  We have these because of tourism here.  I wouldn't like to see closed businesses everywhere. 

They will be closed , but if the tourist return , and they will , if you give it time , then new business will open . 1 is following the other , supply and demand ... For Pattaya , i think that it will be a lot better then other places . Pattaya is not known to be a family resort , it is known for other things . 1st people returning won't be families , no it would be the single man looking for the same thing they always came for in Pattaya .

22 hours ago, rodpav said:

Far as I remember there was only one low rise resort type place there. Don't remember the name.

Avenues failed because it wasn't AC. People that paid for it must be the most stupid mall owners in LOS ever.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Far as I remember there was only one low rise resort type place there. Don't remember the name.

Avenues failed because it wasn't AC. People that paid for it must be the most stupid mall owners in LOS ever.

And, the most stupid managers.  At one point they managed to get an outlet mall selling discount clothing to take over a good part of the space--and it was air-conditioned.  But, they kept all those cheap, tacky clothing vendors that they allow to sell their stuff out in front in the big open area.  Who's going to walk inside to buy discount clothing when it's for sale right out front?  Didn't last long.

The other problem, in the famous words of Gertrude Stein, "There is no there there."  They need to attract shops that compel people to go there, with an emphasis on businesses not found in the other, better, malls.  People go to JJ Market, mostly un-airconditioned, to shop for interesting stuff they can't normally find at a mall.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 7:26 AM, hotandsticky said:

You seem to identify very well with the place.

Not much of one for stereotyping, are you?

Not stereotyping there facts & there to see !!! Totally different place when many of the bars were German or Scandinavian owned & not a sea on Ska bars with football scarfs and flags on the wall full of tattooed thug types !!!

21 hours ago, sezze said:

They will be closed , but if the tourist return , and they will , if you give it time , then new business will open .

Will they?

Just prior to the virus, it was a very low high season for westerners here.  

I agree, many will open back up, and 18 months from now there might be a few new businesses, but many will be lost, probably for good.     

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 7:34 PM, Don Mega said:

Pattaya is fantastic now... No smelly tourists from the UK/Russia/Europe/ETC ETC  and no hordes of chines in tourist busses.

hopefully it moves forward and never returns to  time gone by.

Not fantastic for the poor Thais queueing up for 100Bt and some rice.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

And.......that means we could all be living in a crime ridden slum in the future.  

We all have a vested interest in seeing Pattaya prosperous.  

Yeah cause it aint already a crime ridden slum !!

17 hours ago, Silent Tiger said:

Not stereotyping there facts & there to see !!! Totally different place when many of the bars were German or Scandinavian owned & not a sea on Ska bars with football scarfs and flags on the wall full of tattooed thug types !!!

Only if talking about Naklua. Been thug bars in Pattaya since at least 30 years. Do you forget the Dog's ( impolite word for testicles ) bar?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only if talking about Naklua. Been thug bars in Pattaya since at least 30 years. Do you forget the Dog's ( impolite word for testicles ) bar?

Tell us about it then, perhaps some of us went there 29 years ago.

10 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Tell us about it then, perhaps some of us went there 29 years ago.

I've been in it a few times many years ago, never had a problem.

Word is that some of the guys we ex-soccer hooligans from the UK ( london club ) and were also into some shenanigans in Thailand too.

As mentioned they were always polite enough to me on the few occasions i stopped by.

Also note, i never saw any trouble there.

Maybe the man that mentioned this place just did n't like the look of them instead of engaging?

4 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Soi Yamoto I believe?.

Yup.  I used to live near there on Soi 13.  Favorite restaurant is the Bistro on Yamato.  So I passed it many times.  Never had any issues.  r  I minded my business and they theirs.  If they were thugs they didn't advertise it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've been in it a few times many years ago, never had a problem.

Word is that some of the guys we ex-soccer hooligans from the UK ( london club ) and were also into some shenanigans in Thailand too.

As mentioned they were always polite enough to me on the few occasions i stopped by.

Also note, i never saw any trouble there.

Maybe the man that mentioned this place just did n't like the look of them instead of engaging?

Ah a Poster speaking Fact.

• Haha 1