Phuket Immigration confirms automatic visa extension applies to all visa types

snoop1130

9 hours ago, hansgruber said:

No. I had the day pass. I could go anywhere for that day only. Just can't go to red zones. Patong, Bang Tao. Chergtalay. 

Immigration just looked at it and was fine. 

Day pass doesn't state your reason for being out. You just have to convince the teesabaan or village headman at the checkpoint to give you one and it's freedom if for only a day. 

Tried to get to immigration today. First checkpoint at Chalong Circle ok, after the explanation, I even showed them a screen print of the approved under consideration, they let me threw, the guy understood it was not the same situation as mentioned on his flow chart.

But on the second checkpoint a different story, all they could say there was Covid 19, and no explanation would let me pass. On way back no problems, just one guy asked where I went, I said home in Rawai, he said ok.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Not as an “excuse” to change the Visa type from “O-A” to “O”. No excuse needed to change Visa. With border closings, travel restrictions rather a rational for allowing the change in-country rather than requiring leaving the country and re-entering.

I understand that it is not a excuse for you but immigration have a strict of rules from head quarters which can be used for the current situation.

Those are published widely on many forums.

Immigration offices have some leeway but are not allowed to introduce new rules on there own.

So far i know it was never possible to change from a Non-OA to a Non-O for a extension based on retirement inside Thailand.

It is possible to change from a extension based on retirement to a extension based on marriage for example.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, merijn said:

I understand that it is not a excuse for you but immigration have a strict of rules from head quarters which can be used for the current situation.

Those are published widely on many forums.

Immigration offices have some leeway but are not allowed to introduce new rules on there own.

So far i know it was never possible to change from a Non-OA to a Non-O for a extension based on retirement inside Thailand.

It is possible to change from a extension based on retirement to a extension based on marriage for example.

Yes. But regulations from Bangkok have been changed as a result of the virus issues so I am hopeful that someone will see the rational for addressing this. Probably not enough changing to have them change requirements as they have for 90 Day Reports, renewing Visas ... hey, a guy can hope. Not holding my breath. After 8 years here I am aware of what I am currently required to do to change from O-A to O for retirement purposes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Tried to get to immigration today. First checkpoint at Chalong Circle ok, after the explanation, I even showed them a screen print of the approved under consideration, they let me threw, the guy understood it was not the same situation as mentioned on his flow chart.

But on the second checkpoint a different story, all they could say there was Covid 19, and no explanation would let me pass. On way back no problems, just one guy asked where I went, I said home in Rawai, he said ok.

Be careful with this as there is a possibility that when you are able to pass the check point you are not allowed back home anymore without solid evidence.

I helped a Russian who lives in Kamala but went to see her boyfriend in Rawai.

She managed to go to Rawai but wasn't allowed back to Kamala anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, merijn said:

Be careful with this as there is a possibility that when you are able to pass the check point you are not allowed back home anymore without solid evidence.

I helped a Russian who lives in Kamala but went to see her boyfriend in Rawai.

She managed to go to Rawai but wasn't allowed back to Kamala anymore.

I took the electricity bill to be sure. PLus I really live in Rawai ????

19 hours ago, stevenl said:

I took the electricity bill to be sure. PLus I really live in Rawai ????

Good idea as i don't think that they will believe you on your blue eyes when you say, Believe me, i really live in Rawai ????

On 4/22/2020 at 5:45 PM, darksidedog said:

Maybe you should read the full story where the following is stated: However, he did confirm the automatic visa extension does apply to all visa types.

Asked specifically whether the extension apply to one-year visas, he said, “Yes, the extension applies to all visa types.”

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-confirms-automatic-visa-extension-applies-to-all-visa-types-75795.php

YES … but ….Foreigners  whose visas have expired since 26 March 2020 (!!) (those in future expiring date would not falling under it , but yes those already expired ,..... confusing !!)  will be permitted to stay until 31 july2020 without having to apply for an extension.

If so anyway , could / would shift the dates ? Or stay same …?

I shall anyway do mine in august the  normal way , I don't risk it to void my non o ret. ext.

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, david555 said:

YES … but ….Foreigners  whose visas have expired since 26 March 2020 (!!) (those in future expiring date would not falling under it , but yes those already expired ,..... confusing !!)  will be permitted to stay until 31 july2020 without having to apply for an extension.

I shall anyway do mine in august the  normal way , I don't risk it to void my non o ret. ext.

It's not confusing, All expire dates (Admitted until, Or date from the extension) after 26 March are covered.

All dates before 26 March are not covered as they had to do the extension etc before the amnesty.

Basically all dates after 26 March are shifted till 31 July.

But if you have the opportunity to go to the immigration office you should do the 1 year extension as normal.

I did my yearly extension yesterday in a record time, Extension and re-entry permit in 20 mins.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, merijn said:

It's not confusing, All expire dates (Admitted until, Or date from the extension) after 26 March are covered.

All dates before 26 March are not covered as they had to do the extension etc before the amnesty.

Basically all dates after 26 March are shifted till 31 July.

But if you have the opportunity to go to the immigration office you should do the 1 year extension as normal.

I did my yearly extension yesterday in a record time, Extension and re-entry permit in 20 mins.

That is what i mean , as Ubonjoe already stated in other tread ,that those on non o ret .ext and being inside Thailand have to do their extensions when due..., those outside Thailand is different cake ...hence re entry expiring are prolonged for them .  

As we present in Thailand ret.ext. are under the requirements "money matter "& documentation  anyway , as so we have no excuse unless contagion risk 

42 minutes ago, david555 said:

That is what i mean , as Ubonjoe already stated in other tread ,that those on non o ret .ext and being inside Thailand have to do their extensions when due..., those outside Thailand is different cake ...hence re entry expiring are prolonged for them .  

As we present in Thailand ret.ext. are under the requirements "money matter "& documentation  anyway , as so we have no excuse unless contagion risk 

Not according to the Phuket Immigration boss.

He clearly mentioned that also those on 1 year extensions are covered.

I don't talk about people who are outside Thailand currently, They have to start over if required.

The only reason i did it now is that i'm in the position to go to the immigration office and want to avoid the madhouse when the amnesty finishes.

• Like 2

I'm still a little confused.

My METV expired before March 26.

My permission to stay expires after March 26.

So technically, according to the official English wording, I don't qualify for the July 31 extension due to my visa expiring before March 26.  But, I don't think that's the case.

I'm a rookie regarding visa issues, but shouldn't they be saying foreigners whose permission to stay expired since March 26 will be permitted to stay until July 31 without having to apply for an extension?

11 minutes ago, ouagadougou said:

I'm still a little confused.

My METV expired before March 26.

My permission to stay expires after March 26.

So technically, according to the official English wording, I don't qualify for the July 31 extension due to my visa expiring before March 26.  But, I don't think that's the case.

I'm a rookie regarding visa issues, but shouldn't they be saying foreigners whose permission to stay expired since March 26 will be permitted to stay until July 31 without having to apply for an extension?

The leading date is the date which is on your entry stamp in your passport ( Admitted until ), if this is after 26 March you are covered.

The visa expire date (enter before) on your visa sticker is not relevant for your current stay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, merijn said:

Not according to the Phuket Immigration boss.

He clearly mentioned that also those on 1 year extensions are covered.

I don't talk about people who are outside Thailand currently, They have to start over if required.

The only reason i did it now is that i'm in the position to go to the immigration office and want to avoid the madhouse when the amnesty finishes.

The Amnesty does indeed apply to all those that have a Permit to Stay stamped in their passport that expires after 26 March (also those on 1-year extensions).

And so there are no consequences of being on overstay during the amnesty period when not visiting your IO when your permission to stay is due to expire.

However, what is not so sure is whether your IO will allow you to extend that permission to stay when the permission to stay date has expired.  For those on VisaExempt or TouristVisa or 90-day permissions to stay from a Non Imm O Visa, that wouldn't matter as they would normally leave the country anyway.  But for those on 1-year extensions of stay from their long-stay Visa it is not so clear whether they will be able to extend that 1-year extension once the permission to stay date has expired. 

Since this is Thailand, some IOs might provide leniency, but there are also already 2 reports of IOs that are not willing to do that, thus forcing those that did not apply for their 1-year extension during the window foreseen, to exit Thailand once the borders are open again and having to start their application from scratch again.

Hence my recommendation to visit your local IO once your present permission to stay from your 1-year extension is due to expire, unless of course it was your intention to let it expire anyway.

39 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The Amnesty does indeed apply to all those that have a Permit to Stay stamped in their passport that expires after 26 March (also those on 1-year extensions).

And so there are no consequences of being on overstay during the amnesty period when not visiting your IO when your permission to stay is due to expire.

However, what is not so sure is whether your IO will allow you to extend that permission to stay when the permission to stay date has expired.  For those on VisaExempt or TouristVisa or 90-day permissions to stay from a Non Imm O Visa, that wouldn't matter as they would normally leave the country anyway.  But for those on 1-year extensions of stay from their long-stay Visa it is not so clear whether they will be able to extend that 1-year extension once the permission to stay date has expired. 

Since this is Thailand, some IOs might provide leniency, but there are also already 2 reports of IOs that are not willing to do that, thus forcing those that did not apply for their 1-year extension during the window foreseen, to exit Thailand once the borders are open again and having to start their application from scratch again.

Hence my recommendation to visit your local IO once your present permission to stay from your 1-year extension is due to expire, unless of course it was your intention to let it expire anyway.

For Phuket, and this is the Phuket forum, that is for most not an option with lockdown in place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, david555 said:

Here you have it , extraction from article:

“But holders of one year visas or extensions of stay – principally retirees, those married to Thai spouses and most work permit holders – are not covered and must renew their permits on or before the date in their passport, as they did prior to the health crisis.”

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/most-visas-extended-automatically-296486

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, david555 said:

“But holders of one year visas or extensions of stay – principally retirees, those married to Thai spouses and most work permit holders – are not covered and must renew their permits on or before the date in their passport, as they did prior to the health crisis.”

Yes.  It remains to be seen what will happen to those on annual extensions of stay who think they are covered by the amnesty and overstay. Perhaps they will be lenient and not issue a fine; perhaps not.  Personally, I'm not going to risk it, especially as Immigration should be fairly quiet up to 31 July.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes.  It remains to be seen what will happen to those on annual extensions of stay who think they are covered by the amnesty and overstay. Perhaps they will be lenient and not issue a fine; perhaps not.  Personally, I'm not going to risk it, especially as Immigration should be fairly quiet up to 31 July.

We O & O-A ret. ext. have no excuse if we are in the country to do our Ext., even more as we can go 30 days upfront  expire date , and being in the country .

Different for those blocked outside Thailand and left before those airplane blockage to flying in to Thailand came in power,  or corona requirements like insurance and those not to get "no corona contagion" certificates 

Edited by david555

31 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Overstay fines are waived according to the Amnesty, so that's not the issue.

But the consequence of not doing your 1-year extension of stay during the 30 (or 45) day window before expiry of your permission to stay, is that your local IO might not want to extend your permission to stay because the due date for renewal has expired.  There are 2 reports of IOs who have indicated they will not extend expired 1-year permissions to stay, thus forcing those who let it slip to exit Thailand and having to apply from scratch again.

26 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Overstay fines are waived according to the Amnesty, so that's not the issue.

But the consequence of not doing your 1-year extension of stay during the 30 (or 45) day window before expiry of your permission to stay, is that your local IO might not want to extend your permission to stay because the due date for renewal has expired.  There are 2 reports of IOs who have indicated they will not extend expired 1-year permissions to stay, thus forcing those who let it slip to exit Thailand and having to apply from scratch again.

Your last point is well made.  However, I don't remember seeing anything that said overstay fines for people on annual extensions would be waived.  Either way, not worth the risk of losing your extension and having to start from scratch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Maybe Phuket Immigration is allowing it as almost nobody is able to go to the immigration office.

So even if they want to do the extension they can't.

4 hours ago, merijn said:

The leading date is the date which is on your entry stamp in your passport ( Admitted until ), if this is after 26 March you are covered.

The visa expire date (enter before) on your visa sticker is not relevant for your current stay.

Thanks for that Merijn.

Once July 31st arrives, will I still have the opportunity to pay bt1,900 and extend my METV for 30 days?  I have not extended since my last border run.

1 hour ago, merijn said:

Maybe Phuket Immigration is allowing it as almost nobody is able to go to the immigration office.

So even if they want to do the extension they can't.

why they (RET EXT. ones ) can not go ?

14 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Do you know anything about Phuket right now ?? We are locked into our sub districts and impossible for most us to get to Phuket Town Immigration.  Know what you post about !!

Forfilling your obligations to Thai immigration would be enough legal reason to leave those locked areas ..... just same as we are locked in Pattaya , but with a good reason allowed to pass checkpoints, 

PS " Know what you post about !!" ..... you seem to get nervous already after short time locked in ...., better get used to it as it is not yet ending  

Edited by david555

12 hours ago, david555 said:

"Unless contagion risk?" I guess you live in one of those "pristine" Thai provinces where no infection ever been reported. And you haven't seen those appalling pics of "herding" queues at CW during the initial extension rush... 

Actually retirees especially have some very good valid reasons (not "excuse" mind you) for not going to Immigration at the moment.

a) due to our advanced age and years of "living it up" in Thailand, our immune system is generally sub-par or in covid talk, our co-morbidity is rather high, ie we are more prone to virus infection than the younger globetrotting crowd, and once infected tend to get on ventilators rather quickly (and get off rather belatedly if ever).

b) IOs are at the "front line" by the nature of their job dealing in direct contact with foreigners coming from all corners of the world day in day out, AND who knows how many of them have been infected (and their numerous helper staff who run from cubicle to cubicle handling documents and passports). Have they been at least tested? No one knows, ever. Offices such as Immigration during these times should be shuttered and do their business online exclusively. The reason they have not in Thailand is due to tourism and all that implies and no one can be fooled in that regard.

All the immigration law experts out again on here i see they sound like the MSM in the UK on the Virus topic totally misreading the subject if the main man in Phuket has said ALL visa's that is what he means ALL visa'a stop making problems where there is none 

15 hours ago, ouagadougou said:

Once July 31st arrives, will I still have the opportunity to pay bt1,900 and extend my METV for 30 days?  I have not extended since my last border run.

Good question.

Imo it will depend on a couple of factors whether you will be able to do so.

1 - If you are able to do a border run before your 6-month Visa validity expired, you will be stamped in again for 60 days permission to stay, and at the end of that 60-day period you can apply for a 30-day extension of stay.

2 - If your Visa validity expired during the Amnesty, it will be the IO where you apply for the 30-day extension of stay whether they are willing to provide you with such extension. 

- If you are already more than 8 months in the country since original Visa issue, they will most probably deny it (the argument being that you would be making use of the Amnesty situation to stay longer than the max 9 months you can squeeze out of an METV).

- If you are less than 8 months in the country since original Visa issue, you could argue that without the inability to leave the country, you would have been able to do a border run which would have provided you with 60-days permission to stay, and that would have allowed you to apply for the 30-days extension of stay.

That argument requires some logical thinking which is not the strong point of immigration officers, so it will depend on the leniency of the IO where you apply for that 30-day extension.

Note: Nothing would stop you to try applying at different IOs, when being turned down.