Thailand will work on strengthening local economy first: Somkid

webfact

By THE NATION

800_32a07053e2a03ca.jpg?v=1587550757

Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak has called on the Finance Ministry, the Bank for Agriculture and Cooperatives as well as the private sector to work with local communities to develop large projects and come up with necessary measures to strengthen the local economy.

These projects will be launched in June as part of the government’s plan to restore the Covid-19 battered economy and will be funded partly by the Bt1 trillion loan the Finance Ministry will be taking.

Somkid added that Thailand has to focus on strengthening the local economy first as it will take a while before the global economy recovers.

Since Thailand’s export and tourism sectors are not likely to get better soon, the government will also promote local investment and domestic consumption to boost the economy.

He said that though Thailand has effectively curbed the outbreak, the government has to carefully consider all scenarios before deciding to relax some restrictions.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30386565

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-23

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

What a daft plan, asking all the skint Thais that have been forced out of working for months to boost the economy with money they dont have anymore

Ah but they will tell people that if they spend money now that they will get a tax break so everyone will buy with CC or loans

• Like 1

Keep the baht strong and get the masses to borrow more.
in the long run, if the world reduces its dependency on China , Thailand’s elite could gain even more. There are quite a few odd million here who work for peanuts. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

What a daft plan, asking all the skint Thais that have been forced out of working for months to boost the economy with money they dont have anymore

They can take a loan

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

"Promoting domestic consumption" will be tough, many jobs have been wiped out and others cut back (no extra overtime income etc.). The high level of consumer debt - maxed out credit cards in particular - would make that challenging even without the coronavirus crisis.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Is the US a part of Thailand, as the thread is about strengthening the local economy in Thailand.

I must have missed where you said who in THAILAND would give a loan to a person who has no money, no job and little chance of repaying the loan?

Silly me

Edited by Susco

4 hours ago, Susco said:

I must have missed where you said who in THAILAND would give a loan to a person who has no money, no job and little chance of repaying the loan?

Silly me

Yes, silly you.

Go to the top of the page and carefully read the thread title once again, bearing in mind that the thread is posted in Thailand News

By webfact, 14 hours ago in Thailand News

Did you see any mention of the USA in the thread title?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

They might have done before, but I think that they are a bit wiser now with upwards of 15 million people out of work.

Its the horse and the gate i think, all in all a terrible situation which i liken to playing russian roulette, which stands a good chance if ending badly  

• Like 1