Thailand's March foreign tourist arrivals tumble 76.4% year-on-year amid virus crisis

webfact

19 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

There were 820 THOUSAND  foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand in March?

How did they get in, since all airports are closed for regular flights? Smuggled in on fishing trawlers? Swimming across the Mekong from Laos?

The land border between Thailand and Malaysia is closed as well.

So... where did these 820,000 tourists come from?

Or is this just shoddy, misleading reporting and in fact the 820,000 figure relates to ALL foreign tourist arrivals since January (i.e. NOT only in March)?

But then again, it clearly states: "A total of 0.82 million tourists in March spent about 39.5 billion baht..."

There were plenty of tourists arriving in the first half of March, many taking advantage of cheap flights and packages from Europe and Russians who already had bookings were reluctant to cancel.

Nothing to dispute in these figures.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The ole Thai tourist ship has been listing to one side for a while now...this virus may sink her...a new more classy tourist experience may emerge from the depths of despair...

No problem, I'll put on a tie..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

There were plenty of tourists arriving in the first half of March, many taking advantage of cheap flights and packages from Europe and Russians who already had bookings were reluctant to cancel.

Nothing to dispute in these figures.

There were many Tourists arriving right up to March 19th.

Thats when a lot of Visa,s were stopped being issued at Savanhaket, and other border entries, and many flights were also stopped on about 20th March.

Therefore these figures for about 2/3 rds of the Month.

After all this time 76.4%! that would account for 24% of millions still arriving? THAT many incredibly stupid people? Really? Did I read this wrong? or is TAT just being TAT?

• Like 1

Yay for March. I escaped Thailand o the 14th. I was a tourist number leaving the country,

but TAT , likely used my passing the security in their favor.  I too am looking forward to the

official numbers for April. Even May  should be low numbers because so many people

out of work all over the world. Airlines shut down, borders closed.  Good Luck TAT.

Geezer

Looks correct , 1st 10 days of march all about normal , only Chinese were less . After the situation hurricaned out of control with close to 0 in last week . April numbers are the ones to look out for , they got to be close to 0 . May is prob not better , maybe start of recovery in June , but it would only be very very light recovery if it is there at all . I think , best guess , we can only see real bit of recovery in September/October if we are lucky , and that number will still be less then 25% y/y arrivals .

dunno why they are bothering putting up Stats - as it doesn't matter anymore... not for months more probably.  

Lucky I don't have to go back in a hurry to help their figures go 'up' as yet

- still have 2'n'a'half bottles still of Mekhong to see us thru the big wait in OZ

20 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The ole Thai tourist ship has been listing to one side for a while now...this virus may sink her...a new more classy tourist experience may emerge from the depths of despair...

Thais may actually have to treat tourists like guests...some nationalities exempted...

The Wuhan express train line will save the Chinese tourists industry. After the vaccine arrives. Next week. Then Los canunlock the doors to Wuhan again. Filthy falungs can wait

• Like 2

20 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

I wonder what the nationality breakdown was for the 800000+ visitors.

By number the biggest arrivals are (Change from March 2019):

Laos: 152,379 down 34.0%

Russia: 118,583 down 39.3%

Malaysia: 98,575 down 73.6%

China: 55,047 down 94.4%

Germany: 48,774 down 53.6%

Cambodia: 42,208 down 59.1%

UK: 42,100 down 53.4%

France: 39,385 down 49.5%

Japan: 22,468 down 84.0%

Vietnam: 23,683 down 73.8%

USA: 23,054 down 78.8%