Pattaya Property

plumberman123

Condo values have done a boom bust many times in Pattaya.  I believe this virus  will cause a bust cycle where in progress developments are abandoned and used prices fall.  Mostly because I believe the town will only slowly recover it's tourist traffic as the early returnees discover many shuttered and empty businesses and a much quieter town.  Could be 2-3 years before the town looks familiar to regulars.  

Wonder if the thais will welcome back the "undesirable monger tourists' that originally caused the Pattaya boom to begin with?

• Thanks 2

The Thais tend to take a very long-term view wrt residential property. They're happy to wait eons until they get the price they want.

Sadly, once this is over, the western world is going to be poorer than it once was, as governments try to manage and pay down the immense amounts of money they've borrowed and printed and thrown at their citizens and corporations. I doubt if there will be as much money shloshing around in the system to buy holiday homes as there once was, especially once inflation takes off. It's bound to be their most important medium- and long-term tool for handling the debts, just look at the last century if you need proof of that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Are they inflated. I bought my condo in 2006 and i suspect that if i sold it now i would be lucky to get the same amount back. Any other property in the world not gone up in value in 14 years?

On the bright side you haven't been throwing rent money out the window for 14 years.  The money you've saved on rent has probably about paid for the condo.  Pat yourself on the back. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, n210mp said:

This is a post I put on another thread but just as appropriate in this one;

Too many folk talking about what they want to happen and not having a good look around at the infrastructure where the signs are that there will be no “Land value reduction” but in the next few years a massive “inflation of land values” ’

Why do I think this way?

Look around the area and “marvel” at the billions of Baht that have been pumped into the roads and motorways.  Someone suggested that these new roads were for more Tourists to get into central Pattaya!

Then there are the plans to make Utapau airport into one that may well be even bigger than Swampy and if you don’t think that is either possible or indeed feasible then ask yourself “Why does the new Motorway extension run directly to the airport?

Another reason for increased land values  in the Pattaya area is that Bangkok is  has been slowly sinking and this will ensure a  continuation of the movement of business people from Bangkok to reside in Pattaya  then using the very fast high speed trains to “commute” to Bangkok. These plans  have  been  finally approved !

The main reason  to believe that the local land values will go skywards is that Thailand is the centre of the AEC hub and the three provinces that are mostly going to benefit mainly from their physical location are all located  close to Pattaya  and  are ChonBurri ,  Chachoengsao  and Rayong.

Rayong is a major industrial area and the Country’s largest deep water harbor making it ideal for expansion.

Rayong also has Utapau airport which is gearing up to become a an international aviation service centre apart from possibly becoming the Country’s largest airport

Chachoengsao. 

I link this hereunder for your reading  which mentions all the three provinces  

https://www.nationthailand.com/Economy/30345192?no_redirect=true

I think that Pattaya will become something massively different than it has ever been before and yes there will still be places where the most obsessive of mongers and drinkers will be able to satiate themselves but it will become a destination for many types of diverse and different people from Chinese /Russian and Indian tourists to International business people as well, catering in a bigger and better manner than it has ever done before.

If you don’t think my point of view has any credibility then   ask yourselves;  why has there been  all this massive  capitol development going on in an area which has been on the slide for minimally the last 12 years?

Land values in Pattaya and the surrounding areas reducing?????

In the words of a friend of mine;  of mine  “You are having a laugh, aren’t you”

But the truth is, properties towards U Tpao.....Huay Yai, Bang Saray and Sattahip areas have been depreciating for the past few years. Im seeing properties there for sale at least 40% lower than 18 months ago...and still can't sell them...yes the hold outs with their 10 mil villas on the market for 8 years already won't reduce the price....buy if you need a home by all means but don't expect any capitol gain whatsoever

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

The Thais tend to take a very long-term view wrt residential property. They're happy to wait eons until they get the price they want

I believe it is the same with foreigners as they mostly laid down cash to buy.

So, without a payment and probably a pension or some source of foreign income, they are in no hurry to sell unless they desperately need the money.

And there are people indeed who are desperate especially those that relied on a business here, that now may end up defunked.

4 hours ago, newnative said:

On the bright side you haven't been throwing rent money out the window for 14 years.  The money you've saved on rent has probably about paid for the condo.  Pat yourself on the back. 

I guess if a person is foolish enough to have their money sitting in a bank. On the not so bright side, even with the downturn in the markets that 2006 purchase would have more then doubled in a simple index fund and almost tripled at the market highs.

So, like the poster said it has been dead money condo even a possible loss at this point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, allanos said:

There are no compelling reasons why residential property prices should fall.  The market (any market) will always be a function of supply and demand.

Your comments are flawed.

Supply and demand?

The compelling reason is: Are you aware there are over 20,000 properties for sale in the Pattaya area alone?

If this was any other place with a transparent market, prices would be half of what the are now and places would still be sitting.

16 hours ago, thaitero said:

Think again,,

When all this coronastuff is over people will think what countries/cities were one of the safest places on the earth,,

Those countries/cities will be the places to live and spend extended holidays,,????

Nonsense. When this is all over people have short memories and nobody will make a buying decision based upon a pandemic that may happen again in the next hundred years. What it boils down to is price, likely return on investment, rental yield and stability of the country. Simple as that... If Thailand ticks all the boxes then all will be well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Your comments are flawed.

Supply and demand?

The compelling reason is: Are you aware there are over 20,000 properties for sale in the Pattaya area alone?

If this was any other place with a transparent market, prices would be half of what the are now and places would still be sitting.

As is yours!

20 000 properties unsold (please give your source).

You would need to justify this vague statement.

• Like 1