Up, down or same?

prk888

I expect we all have our favourite restaurants and no doubt favourite dishes therein and so would know the pre-covid prices.

Just pondering.  Will prices rise when they reopen (to recover losses), fall (to attract customers back and stay off competition) or remain the same ? 

Me?  Not sure but think maybe they will say the same, initially anyway !  What say you? 

I expect most places will charge the same. They'll be more worried about losing money than about trying to attract customers. Besides, changing menu prices and such would cost money.
Big places (like MK or Santa Fe) will carry on just like before I imagine. 

Some smaller places may charge more. They will want to make up for the money they've lost and it seems to be nearly a law that if you are losing money (or customers) you should charge more to try and make up the difference. Right up until you go broke and have to walk away from the business.

I remember seeing that on Walking Street a lot years ago. Foreign run businesses would be offering Happy Hours and 2 for 1 specials, and Thai run places would just jack up the price. The foreign run places would keep running and the other places went out of business.

Really small places will probably just charge the same as before, especially places that cater mostly to Thais. If they tried to charge more, they wouldn't have any business.

Personally, I really don't see many things being much different than they were before. It's not like they've gone through 3 years of war or anything.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now reading on various TVF threads that several restaurants are opening with 15% - 20% discounts.  I've now visited 2 of my local eateries and prices staying the same currently.

5 hours ago, prk888 said:

Now reading on various TVF threads that several restaurants are opening with 15% - 20% discounts.  I've now visited 2 of my local eateries and prices staying the same currently.

yeah i went past a few on Jomtien beach front this morning with signs up offering the discount you mention.

12 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

how? pls elaborate.

people on here predicted riots in the street / burglaries / muggings etc when this lockdown started, what's happened to all that?

Show me where anyone said those things will occur "when this lockdown started."  

The competition for a baht between the bars and restaurants will start shortly.  Some establishments will consolidate their position, many will fade away.   

Just now, Leaver said:

Show me where anyone said those things will occur "when this lockdown started."  

The competition for a baht between the bars and restaurants will start shortly.  Some establishments will consolidate their position, many will fade away.   

Search the forum for all statements.

And the competition is akin to a 'war'? really.....

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Search the forum for all statements.

And the competition is akin to a 'war'? really.....

Yes, it will be a war of attrition.  Most using their cash reserves to survive.  The ones with little to no cash reserves will just fade away.  

Of course, the question is, why would one use one's own cash reserves just to operate at a loss?   

• Haha 1

Latest one I saw was Green Tree on Pattaya Beach Road with a big reopening ban ner of 30% discount I think it was. So it appears like some Thai places are being more promotion orientated. I expect most venues to remain the same, no reason to increase prices. 

Up, down, or the same?

Like asking my wife to choose between alternatives & her answer is "Yes"....

Restaurant in my complex had fish and chips for 99 baht. Thought be just little chunk of crappy fish and a few chips. But nice big hunk of fish, tasty & well done, lots of chips, peas, tartar sauce... pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

A couple of my normal restaurants that I have been going to on a regular basis have increased their prices 10 to 20 baht here in Hua Hin. I asked why? They say low season, no customers.  

On 4/28/2020 at 12:08 AM, Kerryd said:

I expect most places will charge the same. They'll be more worried about losing money than about trying to attract customers. Besides, changing menu prices and such would cost money.

Some smaller places may charge more. They will want to make up for the money they've lost and it seems to be nearly a law that if you are losing money (or customers) you should charge more to try and make up the difference. Right up until you go broke and have to walk away from the business.

I remember seeing that on Walking Street a lot years ago. Foreign run businesses would be offering Happy Hours and 2 for 1 specials, and Thai run places would just jack up the price. The foreign run places would keep running and the other places went out of business.

Really small places will probably just charge the same as before, especially places that cater mostly to Thais. If they tried to charge more, they wouldn't have any business.

Personally, I really don't see many things being much different than they were before. It's not like they've gone through 3 years of war or anything.

We're going to see every configutarion.

Some business owners will be desperate to take in big revenue to avoid bankruptcy and go for higher prices but not longer-term a good move

Some will keep prices the same, even though they may be paying a big more for raw materials, same price even though costs have increased but fears that higher prices will frighten customers away.

This would be OK for a while to regain customer numbers and enough revenues to pay staff and essentials to prevent business closure or bankruptcy but no profits will eventually catch up.

Some difficult decisions.  

I don’t see any pricing differences in your normal day to day visits in places like restaurants, coffee shops or mom and pop places. Those places who practice high and low season pricing will probably stick with low season pricing. When  malls open you can expect initial discounts to get people in the door again. Flights will be discounted initially to get people traveling again as evidenced by the emails containing discounts from my frequent flyer clubs. 

On 4/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, Kerryd said:

Though wishful thinking, I dont expect thais to have learned from burning their hand in the afore-mentioned round of price gouging. New sign and new owners doomed to repeat, its the thai way

1 hour ago, thurien said:

prices up, of course. "we did not have proper income for a long time!" ... somehow understandable...?!

It is wrong to make the customer pay extra all the time, businesses should be prepared to stand losses up to a point, if they cannot, then they should not be in business. This capitalist attitude that most businesses have stinks.

First comes deflation and then inflation !

that's the result of Governments printing currency !!!

What the market does has no real influence any more as soon as

monetary policy goes insane !

Germany 1922 comes to mind ... falling supply and printing money is a sure way to hell !!!

Interestingly enough it seems like no central bank has ever heard of these pretty simple facts.

you can't print your way out of a crisis ... not in the long term !!!

On 4/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, Kerryd said:

I too have observed the perverse Thai pricing logic. Oh, I understand if the bank makes down the price of houses or cars, it means someone has made a bad credit loan and so will loose face. Better to keep the original loan value on the books so that no loss is recorded. Western economic logic? Move the product and move on, it will only continue to loose value over time ...

3 hours ago, brain150 said:

First comes deflation and then inflation !

that's the result of Governments printing currency !!!

What the market does has no real influence any more as soon as

monetary policy goes insane !

Germany 1922 comes to mind ... falling supply and printing money is a sure way to hell !!!

Interestingly enough it seems like no central bank has ever heard of these pretty simple facts.

you can't print your way out of a crisis ... not in the long term !!!

Sorry but far oversimplifying the German economy after WW I. Yep, true, Germans found it more economical to burn paper money than use the money to buy firewood in the end but ... far more too it than just printing money, such as the reasons behind the economic failure.

On 5/8/2020 at 2:16 AM, prk888 said:

Check out restaurants and fast food restaurants with home delivery. The prices are down up to 50%. Just look at Grab Food and Foodpanda. Several restaurants in Pattaya offer free delivery in Pattaya/Jomtien. We're talking proper food not pizza.