Discrimination

anchadian

The #COVID19 virus doesn’t care about your race & ethnicity, so why do some Thai banks continue to treat foreign customers differently? Additionally, with the lockdown of the borders, it’s certain to say that we have all been here longer than 14 days. So, why the discrimination.

Ian Beardsworth

@IanBeardsworth

Went to pay my KTC credit card at the main branch at Ploenchit this afternoon. Wasn't allowed to use the 2nd floor entrance and had to go and in through the 1st floor. Granted it only took a minute longer but was irritating to see "non-Farangs" being able to walk in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

If you accompanied a Thai person to that bank and he/she was directed to enter by the 2nd floor and you were told to go to the 1st floor, would that not bother you a little?

If the answer was no, I wouldn't believe you.

The Thai I was with would probably accompany me to the 1st floor where both of us would enter together.  It's such small stuff.

• Like 1

Op, it sucks but fear that type of thing, along with standoffishness in general, will be the norm for (white western) foreigners. Don't forget, you're dealing with a very simple, impressionable and oft xenophobic - though delightful all the same - folk :smile:. Best try to get used to it and just let it slide or it'll do your head in. 

20 hours ago, anchadian said:

If you accompanied a Thai person to that bank and he/she was directed to enter by the 2nd floor and you were told to go to the 1st floor, would that not bother you a little?

If the answer was no, I wouldn't believe you.

I could not give a flying <deleted>. I really could not. If people want to be bigoted, racist, up to them...having to use a different entrance by walking up or down some steps really is nothing.

7 hours ago, connda said:

I grew up in the US when racial discrimination was all very legal in many states.  I also grew up in a family that considered discrimination to be an offensive act of hate.

So daveAustin, you'd agree if I said that US Southerners were very simple, impressionable and oft racist - though delightful all the same - folk.  And in the pre-Civil Rights era it was best to try to get used to it and just let it slide?

There ain't no difference.  At all.  The institutional racism in the US was ugly and offensive.  The institutional racism in Thailand is ugly and offensive.  I can't fathom how people become apologists for racial discrimination.  It's a hateful, ugly practice that has no place in a country that cares at all about respect for human rights and human beings.
White entrance / Colored entrance
Foreigner entrance / Thai entrance

There is no difference in the racism that is the underlying catalyst for creating discriminatory policies such as these.  The policies are based of fear, loathing, and hate. 

There is one big difference.  African Americans in the USA had been there as long or longer than their fellow-citizens of European heritage.  In Thailand, it is "foreign nationals" being targeted. 

That is not to dismiss Thai nationalism, which is very real - but is also their primary defense against being overrun and controlled by foreign-powers.  Sadly, the Chinese are buying off enough of the higher-ups to achieve the colonialism Thailand avoided for so long. 

As well, the moneyed elite seems to be actively-working to suppress the rise of a larger middle-class, deflection from which can be achieved by attacking "the foreigners  - just as attacking the "coloreds" with segregation worked to that end in the USA 50 years ago.

Ah, the soft bigotry of low expectations!

"These poor locals don't have the intelligence or mental wherewithall to realize that not all foreigners are white, nor are any foreigners any greater risk than Thais!"  so it is OK for them to be ignorant. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I tried to enter without a mask and a staff member ran out horrified but did thankfully offer me a free mask.

You did better than a young, hi so looking Thai lady at the Talad Lotus out here in Issan. She was refused entry and had to pay for the mask.