One dead, three injured after car hits power pole, likely racing home to beat curfew

webfact

One dead, three injured after car hits power pole, likely racing home to beat curfew

1588144270_1-org.jpg

Rescue workers at the scene last night. Photo: Tan Promedic Phuket / Kusoldharm Rescue

PHUKET: A mother of two young twins has died while her two sons and her husband were injured after the car they were travelling in hit a power pole on Thepkrasattri Rd in Rassada last night (Apr 28).

The driver may have been racing home to avoid being caught breaking the national nightly curfew, from 10pm to 4am, police admitted.

Capt Thapapol Phangpimlo of the Phuket City Police was called to the scene, near the power substation just south of Phuket Bus Terminal 2, at 9:59pm.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/one-dead-three-injured-after-car-hits-power-pole-likely-racing-home-to-beat-curfew-75894.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-29

Don't know the specific traffic island, but some of these are barely visible at night with no lighting and no markings.

That is speaking from own experience, cost me 2 tyres, but 2 days later traffic island was clearly marked.

Edited by stevenl

With the reduction in traffic I'm sure others will have noticed that boy racers are taking advantage of the quieter roads. Some are using the length of road between the two sets of lights in Kamala as a drag strip, working off the changing lights. Others are smashing it down the new wider road by the cemetery (quite appropriate as that's where they will end up). I actually saw a Tourist Police car on the wrong side of the road half way along the cemetery he was going that fast.

Despite warnings on the Orbator's announcements no one is paying attention to them and the kids who are off school are out there as well. I swear one of them I saw racing yesterday must have been about 8- clearly their parents don't give a toss. 

Water trucks have an effective way of dealing with the red lights- they just put their 4-ways on, pedal to the metal and blast the horn. I'm just glad there are no concrete trucks out there at the moment- it would be carnage.

4 hours ago, Psimbo said:

by the cemetery (quite appropriate as that's where they will end up)

Well, where they are performing their shenanigans is in the right location - near the "dead centre" of town so it is doubtful if many of the residents will complain.

'nuf sed.

Edited by wotsdermatter
added info
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bloodyholly said:

Curfew.   10:00pm - 04:00am

i thought Phuket was 08:00pm - 4:00am

Nope- 2200-0400 but it does get noticeably quieter after 2000 where I am (other parts of Phuket may be different). 

Edited by Psimbo

7 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Nope- 2200-0400 but it does get noticeably quieter after 2000. 

thephuketnews.com/phuket-governor-extends-voluntary-street-curfew-warns-of-strict-enforcement-75485.php

"Province of Phuket to remain in their residence from 8:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m., with the EXCEPTION of urgent errand,” the notice explains."

Notice it's voluntary. Mandatory starts 22.00

On 4/30/2020 at 7:40 AM, Wiggy said:

Upgraded wheels, bucket seats and go faster stripes....hmm, I don't think this was the fault of the curfew. 

Look like downgrades to me.