Defamation if I accuse someone of theft without seeing the theft?

morrobay

The two part air con system was replaced in my unit a few weeks ago, called in by management. Three workers, an older man with two helpers. When they showed up in morning my Thai  girlfriend was present, having spent the night. I could have had her go on her way before they showed up so as not to fuel the foreigner-Thai female-local male triangle. And no one has to tell me what a fool I was for walking her down to get a bahtbus. So I was gone just 10 minutes. I had valuables locked up, except for 60 000 baht that was just in envelope in a file box. This cash was in case ATM's have problem sometime so I do not monitor it. A few days ago I counted 38000 baht in envelope. So I'm sure this lowlife older/boss did a rapid search while I stepped out. He has good denials : the  two helpers and can claim it was my girlfriend, who I know it was not. The irony is that it was good work and I was thinking to change my opinion of thaimales. So much for that. So if I make a complaint can I be subject to defamation? 

Edited by morrobay
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, morrobay said:

a few weeks ago

9 minutes ago, morrobay said:

A few days ago

Well, a long time. You better forget a complaint and learn to put your money in a safe.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

surprised they/he didn't take all of it..... surprisingly strange

Indeed - much more likely to have been someone known trying to support a family out of work during these times - but that too is just speculation.

Defamation under Thai law does not have to be untrue so a very slippery path.  As said it is probably much better to be more careful next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Actually many smart thieves will not take it all. They want you to think you made a mistake counting and exactly like you said if accused they will say: if it was stolen, why didn't I take it all.

got you.... you know the ins and outs, were you one of them 555

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Actually many smart thieves will not take it all. They want you to think you made a mistake counting and exactly like you said if accused they will say: if it was stolen, why didn't I take it all.

Exactly, could be anyone with access.....

A lesson learned, and a cheap safe bought......????

• Like 2

Just now, transam said:

Exactly, could be anyone with access.....

A lesson learned, and a cheap safe bought......????

if a cheap safe, easy to remove, then next time they will walk way with it as well and all its inventory

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

If you make a police report and the police decide the complaint is without merit you will be charged with making a false report

and if they find he has posted here making the matter public............ defamation !!

• Haha 1

Just now, Don Mega said:

When the police knock on the door Thai visa will happily give up the IP address......

I'm talking about the dudes who went in the apartment, not the accuser!

facepalm.jpg.39b4aa8b7189fbc397e4d8ef644a9654.jpg

5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I'm talking about the dudes who went in the apartment, not the accuser!

If the accused find this thread.............

In reality though... the OP has hit the cans and dipped into the chunk... blind freddy can see that.

Edited by Don Mega

Someone has taken the money. There are only 4 people who could possibly have taken it so it wouldn't take a great deal of police work to investigate. Reporting a real theft to the police won't get you in trouble, either. Just say what happened without pointing any fingers.

Despite what some people have said, 22k is £550, which is a lot of money so I would be seriously annoyed. I would definitely be doing something about it.

If you have travel insurance they usually cover cash up to a certain amount, with a police report you might be able to claim on that.

And if leaving a bit behind raises so much doubt that police don't investigate, all thieves would do it and no thefts would ever get investigated.

Edited by SteveK

23 minutes ago, SteveK said:

There are only 4 people who could possibly have taken it

Actually there are 5 at least on that one day alone if you include the owner - no mention how many other people have visited since as it seems the loss was not noticed for several weeks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1