I want a cat. Are they going to evict my foreign big bucks?

11 minutes ago, Sujo said:

If the landlord needs feels like evicting you at anytime you have just given him an easy reason by having a cat.

Btw, cats smell, you may not realise it as you will be around it all day and not notice, but anyone visiting will notice the smell and it will go through the condo.

Also cats live for many years, are you that certain you will be allowed to stay in thailand, that can change, then what of the cat.

Cats do not smell. 

Dirty litterboxes smell.

Personally I would never keep a cat indoors, but many do without smells.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

When it needs exercise lower it down to the ground with a long piece of string, then pull it back up after.

Cats can find their own exercise. It’s an animal that sleeps nearly 16 hours a day. Train them to go to their scratching post and they’re happy as a clam.

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:Talking of clams, have you considered a clam as a pet.  You could name him Morris and place him in a fish bowl.  There's not all the associated problems you get with cats and they're quiet.  

Good idea. I shall name him Albert, and cherish him forevermore.????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

If all people in this place do not follow rules then it will be a total chaos and one day some might fly off a balcony because someone's music is too loud. And that might not be the cat then. 

Now you come to mention it, there doesn't seem to have been so pushing/jumping balcony incidents during lockdown.  I'd be interested to read the stats.  

10 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Good idea. I shall name him Albert, and cherish him forevermore.????

And it will also free your time up and you could learn a new skill, like how to quote correctly.  The possibilities are endless.  ????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Good idea.

have you had indoor only cats before? 

females that are in heat or males looking to go boom boom? they can go crazy all night.

spraying to mark their territory.  

i have a lot of cats at my house and yes they sleep a lot but they can meow all day for food and attention. 

and they wait outside at the front door and it is really hard to keep them out. same the other way. 

and sorry to say they do have a slight dander smell and you know cat urine is impossible to get out of mattresses and just about anything. and cats will deliberately urinate to show their dissatisfaction with whatever. 

good luck.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

If the landlord needs feels like evicting you at anytime you have just given him an easy reason by having a cat.

Btw, cats smell, you may not realise it as you will be around it all day and not notice, but anyone visiting will notice the smell and it will go through the condo.

Also cats live for many years, are you that certain you will be allowed to stay in thailand, that can change, then what of the cat.

I brought my cat along when moved to Thailand 6 yrs ago, she's still with me and very healthy here. Same story bring her out just prepare vaccine records etc. 180 days before taking airplane per Thailand policy.

Cat doesn't smell, especially Thai cats are mostly extremely short hair. Indoor cats are very different from dogs, or stray cats for that matter. Some cats may even naturally perfumed like ladies, my cat surely does, there's once I didn't wash her for a month and she smells same as just bathed. 

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

have you had indoor only cats before? 

females that are in heat or males looking to go boom boom? they can go crazy all night.

spraying to mark their territory.  

i have a lot of cats at my house and yes they sleep a lot but they can meow all day for food and attention. 

and they wait outside at the front door and it is really hard to keep them out. same the other way. 

and sorry to say they do have a slight dander smell and you know cat urine is impossible to get out of mattresses and just about anything. and cats will deliberately urinate to show their dissatisfaction with whatever. 

good luck.   

Perhaps because lot of cats? Since they are solitary, territorial animal in genes sure they could befriend each other but still may adds up anxiety. And since you let them "wait outside at the front door" how do them applicable for "indoor cats"?

I have a female indoor cat, not even spayed, never had problem. Almost doesn't need any attention when I still have the cheap automatic litter box I forgot to bring. Also a normal indoor cat would NEVER urinate outside designated area when not in heat. Heat only occurs once per 3-6 months just give extra attention and service for several days easy enough, or just spay the cat Thailand have many good pet hospitals and are very cheap compares to western, I remember sometimes they even give free spaying for community cats.

As a hobby machinist cat hairs and heat urine caused me some problem before, now dedicated 2 room cat-forbidden for delicate parts and machinery so far so good. Otherwise she does zero damage even learned not to scratch paper roll easy enough.

All said above, I still think OP should respect condo rule, or risk if any managements are not friendly may ruin the day... Had Thai friends sneaked cat in their condo, no problem but that's rely on luck. Rent a cheap townhouse or bangdiao everything solved.

Edited by Coremouse

So alright, I'm a cat person, I love them They suit me, they can take or leave me, and I can them, They are the perfect pets. 

Unlike dogs, they aren't needy, you don't need to potty train them, in fact you can't train cats to do anything they don't want to do.

If you have an indoor cat nobody will know

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Just thinking of getting an indoor cat and saying “F You” to the condo’s no pet policy. I’ve had cats my entire life and I can train them not to destroy furniture or <deleted> and <deleted> everywhere, so what’s the worst that could happen? In a country that doesn’t even enforce basic traffic laws, who really cares if someone keeps a well trained cat in their condo? Seriously considering doing this, and as long as the cat isn’t whining all day and making sounds that disturb other tenants, what is the problem? The police won’t even write tickets for the countless idiots who drive their crappy $1000 plastic motorbikes on the sidewalk, what are the chances that a landlord is going to evict a foreigner who’s paying rent every month for having a cat?

I'm gonna take a gamble. All the apartments that allow pets are filled with endlessly yapping little dogs who fill the hallways with incessant barking. So <deleted> that option. It’s so stupid that “NO PETS” not even a fish tank is allowed while idiots ride up and down pedestrian sidewalks with barely a ticket, but the condos that foreigners like to live in make life as hard as possible for them. I say F them and I’m gonna get a cat. They won’t find out, and if they do, I can just say I’m watching it for a friend and the most they can do is make me get rid of it. 

Edited 14 hours ago by HandsomeTallFarang

I'd just like to clarify.  The condo 'no pet' policy appears to have been made known to you and you agreed to it when you signed the rental contract.  Now, as a certified cat whisperer, you think it shouldn't apply to you as you comply with all other elements of the rental contract but don't want to comply with this one therefore you think it is alright not to!

You think the worst they can do is make you get rid of it if they find out.  Don't think so, the most they can do is get rid of you from the condo.  But if they only tell you to get rid of the cat you will do so?  Please advise if this will be a humane killing, throwing in a lake with a stone tied to it, or dumping it outside as yet another stray.  But look on the bright side, one of those irresponsible idiots who ride motorcycles on the sidewalk might run it over for you.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1