“Successful” Thailand hangs its fate on vaccine quest

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Venom said:

I guess someone forgot to tell them that Covid virus survives for three days on plastic surfaces. ???? 

Is it possible to disinfect the screens, table and chairs with a soapy or alcohol wipe after each customer leaves?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Another 54 deaths in Thailand is very possible if there's a second wave! Once the economy is completely destroyed there could be 70 million of Thailand's poor and homeless people being herded like cattle into the food and free handout lines. Nobody knows for certain. 

Your overdramatising the situation.  The Bangkok elites already received the antidote from Bill Gates so the actual number should be 70.000.000 minus 3500!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Venom said:

I guess someone forgot to tell them that Covid virus survives for three days on plastic surfaces. ???? 

yes... the very action of 'pulling up the plastic chair' is enough for the finger food eaters to cop it... 

(I don't care about offending others - I use my feet to pull the chair in)

15 hours ago, mr mr said:

my god is this stuff actually happening ? that divider thing is so stupid it is laughable. so you can sit on a scooter together while on your way to eat but gotta divide while you do ? 

gtfoh

all of this <deleted> is becoming so mind numbing. social distancing and all that goes along with it is the biggest joke ever played out on humans. 

And the excuses and twists to try to stop and to criticise some preventative measures is also mind numbing.

Some folks would complain if they won the big lottery because they had to drive somewhere to claim their prize.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, but since nobody is going around touching those surfaces it's not going anywhere.

It does seem crazy that I can "sleep" with my wife, travel in the same vehicle with no masks, but not sit at the same table in a restaurant to eat.

Higher end restaurants do not have the screens. I had dinner with girlfriend last night and we had temp checks going in hand sanitizer applied and had to sit on opposite sides of the table. Server wore mask and gloves.

no screens anywhere.

Edited by 5633572526
  • Like 1

I understand that the restaurants had to divide people (make social distance) between people who are not related.

I like to invite my mrs out some times for a dinner and have a little relaxing good time together. I do not wish to sit separated from my mrs, the governments and the restaurants must make some rules/tables/areas for related people without all these plastic walls, if they want the family groups back in the restaurants. The families can sit at the same table without plastic dividers at their homes, but when we go out and pay for our dinner, we shall have a negative experience with bad togetherness.

Then better to eat at home.

• Like 2

Just now, 5633572526 said:

Higher end restaurants do not have the screens. I had dinner with girlfriend last night and we had temp checks going in hand sanitizer applied and had to sit on opposite sides of the table. Server wore mask and gloves.

How far apart were you on opposite sides of the table? And where in Thailand are you?

15 hours ago, mr mr said:

my god is this stuff actually happening ? that divider thing is so stupid it is laughable. so you can sit on a scooter together while on your way to eat but gotta divide while you do

You can choose who shares your scooter, but not always have a say on who sits opposite you on a table.

A little lateral thinking goes a long way.

The best 'vaccine' is to actually get infected, with the downside of getting sick.

All of the stuff governments are doing will increase the chance of a second wave of infections coming.  Barring a vaccine being developed that is actually effective.

And remember despite humans having some immunities from exposure and vaccines for influenza hundreds of thousands die each year from it.

If we are lucky Sars2(covid) will die out like Sars1 did.

1 hour ago, alant said:

I find it a worry that so many hopes seemed to be vaccine based with the conclusion of the end of life as we know it if an effective one is not found.

This would of course be devastating but there is a danger of willing the outcome of social devastation if no vaccine is effective.

Prior to this pandemic, many earlier pandemics happened and following the peak of the outbreak life was able to slowly to return to normal.

Yes many had died, maybe the infection still cropped up but is it reasonable to think that those who survived the pandemic were, for whatever the reason destined to continue life?

I hope an effective vaccine comes soon but surely we cannot close down society if it doesn't.

As long as there is no vaccine, Thailand’s borders will be kept closed,  because a 2 nd wave of infections will be devastating, expats without work permits  may be will be allowed  to return , but they have to get in quarantaine, tourists are not allowed to enter, that means that the tourism industry will get bankrupt.

3 minutes ago, conimex said:

As long as there is no vaccine, Thailand’s borders will be kept closed,  because a 2 nd wave of infections will be devastating, expats without work permits  may be will be allowed  to return , but they have to get in quarantaine, tourists are not allowed to enter, that means that the tourism industry will get bankrupt.

Kept closed until next month, when they will be told by the Chinese business operators to open up again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GSFISM said:

No vaccine for SARS, MERS, Ebola. Why?

No one knows.

First, you may have noticed that these viruses disappear as quickly as they appear (it's a bit different for Ebola, but it is not a coronavirus).

SARS 1 is not there anymore, and neither is MERS, but somehow the actual SARS 2 is expected to remain with us forever...go wonder why...

There is a good reason why there is no vaccine against coronaviruses.

It is very technical and beyond my knowledge, but from what I grasped it has to do with a very specific area of the body where the virus is active, and until now impossible to efficiently reach with a vaccine.

9 minutes ago, conimex said:

As long as there is no vaccine, Thailand’s borders will be kept closed,  

Where did you get that info?

By the time a vaccine become available, if ever, the virus will be long gone, having joined SARS 1 and MERS in the coronavirus cemetery...

• Thanks 2

The strain of the virus that's been affecting Indo-China is different from the one that's affecting Europe and the eastern US, which is much more aggressive and dangerous. The real nightmare that they've missed here is that western tourists coming to Thailand this winter inadvertently bring the nastier version of SARS-COV2 with them. Short of a vaccine, the only way to prevent this is to continue the mandatory 14-day quarantine on arrival, but if you do that then your international tourism industry is dead. If you stop the quarantine measures without a vaccine then there's a very strong chance that six or eight months from now, Thailand will look much the same as the UK does today, with 30,000 or 40,000 local deaths. Somebody should explain to the PM about what to do when you're caught between a rock and a hard place.

• Like 2

Anyone believing the numbers put out by this government for infected or deaths are delude. They can put deaths down to many things they do not have to say they were infected with C19 at time of death. They are playing a very dangerous game  

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, but since nobody is going around touching those surfaces it's not going anywhere.

It does seem crazy that I can "sleep" with my wife, travel in the same vehicle with no masks, but not sit at the same table in a restaurant to eat.

It's Plain stupid , the table should be Screened All round  Not screened between the persons  dining  if that's the person you came to dine  with.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

Those dividers do at least allow couples to dine together and still keep to the rules. The office have similar with very thin cling-film type plastic and the offer very little resistance to normal conversation.

Couples can dine together anyway as they stay together in the same place and and so do friends that visit eachother on regular bases or people working together in the same space . If you put deviders , put them on the side of the table so they devide your table from the table next to you with the stangers on it . Like this they don't make sence to me . Anyway every precaution taken is a good one but think them trough .

2 hours ago, NightSky said:

There will be a vaccine, this story is fear mongering and a none starter.

the reason why is because covid 19 doesn’t mutate quickly. 

That is the simple reason. 

there is already a vaccine in the uk being tested on humans.

Successful vaccine vs common cold virus...no hab.

Successful vaccine vs HIV/AIDS...no.

Successful vaccine vs flu virus...50/50, side effects.

Successful vaccine vs C19...n... .

papa votes lift all restrictions.

papa [old, fat] officially volunteers to be infected.

Not scared at all.

????

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

If you can find the wording that says this in the social distancing rules I shall of course be grateful.

The dividers are not necessary, provided you are the prescribed distance from other diners.

True, but is the prescribed distance the correct distance? It is very possible for the droplets from a sneeze can travel more than 15 feet. So, social distancing is good, but not infallible.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

Those dividers do at least allow couples to dine together and still keep to the rules. The office have similar with very thin cling-film type plastic and the offer very little resistance to normal conversation.

After they've arrived together in a car or squashed together on a bike. All for show and of little or no practical use at all, as usual.

• Like 2