do you acknowledge other farangs?

16 hours ago, sidgy said:
20 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Not many people would acknowledge complete strangers in their own country so why would anyone want to do it here or expect others to do it here?

where i grew up in the north of england , you would be frowned upon if you didnt, or assumed to be a southerner 

That's odd, I was raised in the north west and strangers' reactions and attitudes in general were the exact opposite of those you claim existed then!

Edited by Bob A Kneale

I was at the gym a few months ago and a farang was using the locker above mine. He looked as if he was terrified of me saying something. 

I said, "where are you from?". 

He said, "Khon Kaen, I'm an oldtimer here, been living here for 8 years"

I then realized he was a <deleted>, and although my ego wanted to say some things in Thai to him, I ignored him.

I usually give a smile and a nod to strangers but say nothing.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I usually always say hello to young backpackers, especially Scandinavian girls. Although I'm in my 50's now, I can but dream.

You've got no chance of even getting their attention mate. You may as well be from another planet...

image.png.ee5dfbbb0447de95ad77a30312ab4751.png

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was at the gym a few months ago and a farang was using the locker above mine. He looked as if he was terrified of me saying something. 

I said, "where are you from?". 

He said, "Khon Kaen, I'm an oldtimer here, been living here for 8 years"

I then realized he was a <deleted>, and although my ego wanted to say some things in Thai to him, I ignored him.

I usually give a smile and a nod to strangers but say nothing.

Why do you say that?

• Confused 1

On 5/10/2020 at 8:47 AM, kenk24 said:

when I was first here in 1974 as a backpacker, if you saw another farang, you both stopped and chatted for a moment or more, maybe exchanging some info. about where to stay or get a good meal...

back then a letter took 2 months to USA and a phone call was expensive. We did w/o family and friends back home...

Now, young people here have family and friends and info on their telephone, 24/7... they don't know about the old days, so, if an old man approaches them... well it must be because... eeowww, yechhhh - I shudder to think why!!

i always will find time for someone who may be older and a bit lonely, but that just me

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 8:44 AM, Crossy said:

Don't see too many foreigners in our area.

Generally, see a farang in Tesco, eye contact, nod and that's it. If they want to speak they will and I'm happy to engage.

Of course, if the girls get talking then ...

Crossy I go along with you.

No , There aren't many dow here (Lucky) Say hi and a nod that's it . not into making Friends & drinking buddies . I drink a fair bit at home with the Lady  better than going to the pub and listen to Farangs talking <deleted>. :burp:

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

They have failed miserably in all aspects of Western society, especially being able to find loving, sexual relationships with female companions,

I don't know any guys in the UK who managed to find loving sexual relationships with female companions ..... that lasted.

Generally they last 2-5 years, 10 years and still both happy is unusual, and they won't be banging much if at all.

Sure, nearly every guy manages it once when he's in his 20s, but it never lasts, the woman always rations the sex, wants more than he can give, then eventually dumps him taking the house and restricting his access to his children, as much as she feels she can get away with. OK, there's a couple where the woman has no other options and they live together in mutual hate.

Maybe you come from a country where it's different?

My pals from USA, Canada, NZ and Oz assure me it was the same there.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't know any guys in the UK who managed to find loving sexual relationships with female companions ..... that lasted.

Generally they last 2-5 years, 10 years and still both happy is unusual, and they won't be banging much if at all.

Sure, nearly every guy manages it once when he's in his 20s, but it never lasts, the woman always rations the sex, wants more than he can give, then eventually dumps them taking the house and restricting his access to his children, as much as she feels she can get away with. OK, there's a couple where the woman has no other options and they live together in mutual hate.

Maybe you come from a country where it's different?

My pals from USA, Canada, NZ and Oz assure me it was the same there.

Your in lala land if you think Asian women are a pushover that lay permanently on their back just awaiting to be mounted by a flabby old westerner and generously handing back the kids and house you put in HER name

There are just as many disaster stories here and probably way way more!

I was brought up in the 1950s in NYC, a time of far greater civility & not as many people. Both my grandmothers taught me to ALWAYS acknowledge anyone I passed on the street.

It's an old habit but one I'm loath to break. Maybe if we acknowledged others, we actually might create some kind of community spirit and be civil with one another.

I say "Sawadee" to everyone FIRST & am NEVER ignored but returned in kind.

Other people might need your help sometime or you might need theirs. So be human already!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, unblocktheplanet said:

I was brought up in the 1950s in NYC, a time of far greater civility & not as many people. Both my grandmothers taught me to ALWAYS acknowledge anyone I passed on the street.

But this isn't about that.

This is a thread about white racists wanting to say 'hello' ONLY to other white people they pass.

• Confused 1