Extension of temporary ban on all international flights to Thailand until 30 June 2020

5 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

What about boats, buses and trains?  What do you say Joe?  Can we walk up to the border, and ask for enterance to see our girlfriends?

You can't be serious?  Non Thai married to Thai are not even allowed entry.  Non Thai with work permits are not allowed entry.  To see girlfiends?

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You can't be serious?  Non Thai married to Thai are not even allowed entry.  Non Thai with work permits are not allowed entry.  To see girlfiends?

But I think he was being a little sarcastic.  Had he been serious he might have added allowing a border exit, walk around the building and then back in for a new Visa entry stamp....lol

What is your passport worth? One way to judge the worth is by what measures or lack of measures a country will go to support their citizens abroad.

Countries like Germany has chartered flights all over the world to bring their people back. Others have placed zero restrictions for returning on returning citizens as far as capping the number that can return but all must quarantine.  The cap for Thais returning appears to be space available to quarantine, which seems to be 200 a day. Some estimates show their are 295,000 Thais alone in the US, now all might not want to return but the reference is to show the large number outside of Thailand and the very real bottle neck.

When you consider long unexpected stays for Thais who would most likely be lacking proper health insurance when compared to being in Thailand. Depending on where to stay, can't work legally, running out of money and to compound this issue world wide for all Thais stuck outside Thailand.

If Thailand's filter is quarantine, then rent out all the empty hotels, open up the flights and bring your people home now.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Same as before. There are no restrictions.

Thank you. If the opposite happened, I would expect there to be reports about it here on Thaivisa. I have quite many flight tickets waiting for refunding, and it is getting annoying investing yet another 1500 .. 2000 € for tickets that get canceled last minute.

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

From COVID briefing response today there is no plans for even allowing those with work permits to return anytime soon (talk of having to return Thai before thinking of such matters and hope that could be done in June - but from amounts that were mentioned needing to return it does not seem realistic if quarantine of only 300 per day is available).  As for those married to Thai and stuck outside country they do not even seem to be on any radar above general tourists - it could be months. 

I agree 100%  I think that before the government allows any non-nationals back into the Kingdom, all the Thai nationals that have applied to return, need to come back... and given the limited daily quota, it's clear that May into June will be needed to "clear" this backlog.

I think that after June 30 and assuming that all (or substantially all) of the registered Thais waiting for repatriation have done so, THEN i think we'll see foreigners being slowly allowed back..   but here too, this does assume that by the end of June, that the list of reparations is pretty much done..  I also think that concurrent with how the first "ban" exception was drafted, that the first group of foreigners being eligible for readmission will be work permit holders, SMART visa holders and diplomatic .. same groups as before...

I could see them (also my opinion) making it a requirement that any foreigner in one of the eligible groups (see above) wanting re-entry would need to secure a date-specific reservation (like a quota system -- just like for the Thais) from a Thai embassy; to insure that each days arrival count doesn't exceed their processing capacity AND quarantine facility capacity..  It's also my opinion that any foreigner will still be required to have a COVID test (within 72hrs) and US$100K health insurance.. IF they required the Thai overseas embassy/consulate to manage the issuance of queue numbers to foreigners, then I would think that it would make insuring the legitimacy of any COVID test/insurance is valid and legitimate as the embassy would be "local" making it far easier for the embassy/consulate to verify authenticity of the documents presented to them.

So, bottom line, I agree that there is no real chance for non-nationals to reenter... until all the Thais who want to come back have done so.. once that's done, THEN i think we'll see movement on this...  To be honest, I was expecting to see this start by June 1 or even mid-June, so I'm a bit surprised at the numbers of Thais who apparently are still outside of the Kingdom and waiting their turn for reentry.

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

And what will be the requirements for aliens to fly into Thailand?

Chinese and many others come for couple of weeks. Meaning quarantine would not work. 

There is still quarantine for Thai nationals currently repatriating. 

On top of all that Thailand would struggle to impose quarantine on large numbers.

It's a pipe dream. 

Farang here in Thailand can/soon fly back home countries, just don't plan on getting back.

How will foreigners be able to fly back to their own countries if there are no inbound flights coming? It works both ways. Flights have to come in order for them to leave. 

3 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

How will foreigners be able to fly back to their own countries if there are no inbound flights coming? It works both ways. Flights have to come in order for them to leave. 

There are inbound flights daily - they just do not carry pax into Thailand (cargo weight helps pay cost) and then exit with both cargo and paying pax.

• Like 2

Flight ban until June 30. What about land borders. Can we enter Thailand via land in the near future? Any updates or announcements on this matter? Hope they open the land borders before June 30. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Flight ban until June 30. What about land borders. Can we enter Thailand via land in the near future? Any updates or announcements on this matter? Hope they open the land borders before June 30. 

Nothing about land borders yet but I would not expect them to open before June 30th.

• Like 1

Maybe I am giving to much credit to the leadership of this country but could it be that they have realized a Targeted or Specific Travel ban is not effective in combatting the Novel Corona Virus?  If the Travel Ban actually ends in June then Thailand will have been closed off to foreigners(with some exceptions) for almost 3 months.  Lately only a small number of repatriated Thai’s have tested positive for the Corona Virus.  It appears there are no homegrown cases? 

The US has failed miserably at implementing travel bans because they were specific and targeted(first MainlandChina only and then Europe).  How has this worked out?  Not so good.  In March I suggested to a friend a 72 or 96 hour halt to all global passenger air traffic might slow the virus. He said no way this could happen.  He was right.  This would require global cooperation and has never occurred.  Today only 3 new cases in Thailand and all imported.  Let’s see where we are in July?  

I have to make one trip out of Thailand this year and I am trying to delay it for as long as I can.  So far Singapore’s Airlines has said only $100 USD to make any change to my itinerary.  It might be the best $100 I have ever spent(this includes past evenings in BKK). 

Edited by sqwakvfr
Grammar

11 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

The airlines offered alternate flight arrangements. Most people chose to stay and not take these flights . It was their choice. 

No fault but their own. 

Governments told their citizens to rethink travel plans when the virus came about, then my government told me to think of cutting my holiday short and come home. 

Thirdly I was told to get home ASAP!!!!!!!!!

alternate flights were offered, I took them. 

Happy to be home, things here are great, friends that said I was panicking are eating their words, stuck in lockdown in the Philippines. And even those in Thailand and Vietnam. 

No it hasn't been great for them, beaches , bars closed. It's not a holiday anymore. 

And they all say now they wish they were back home. 

I have no idea why. I for one am perfectly happy here and grateful I'm not in the UK. My house is in the midst of nature, peaceful with a fabulous sea-view, going to work every day (since lockdown ended) and way less traffic than normal. I miss going out a bit but my wife's a trained chef and we stopped going to expat beer bars several years ago. 

2 hours ago, Moonfire said:

What is your passport worth? One way to judge the worth is by what measures or lack of measures a country will go to support their citizens abroad.

Countries like Germany has chartered flights all over the world to bring their people back. Others have placed zero restrictions for returning on returning citizens as far as capping the number that can return but all must quarantine.  The cap for Thais returning appears to be space available to quarantine, which seems to be 200 a day. Some estimates show their are 295,000 Thais alone in the US, now all might not want to return but the reference is to show the large number outside of Thailand and the very real bottle neck.

When you consider long unexpected stays for Thais who would most likely be lacking proper health insurance when compared to being in Thailand. Depending on where to stay, can't work legally, running out of money and to compound this issue world wide for all Thais stuck outside Thailand.

If Thailand's filter is quarantine, then rent out all the empty hotels, open up the flights and bring your people home now.   

If there are 295,000 Thais in America, I suspect that most of them are married to Americans and/or are permanent residents/citizens. Hardly likely they would want to return to Thailand, just because they have Thai blood. Only a small fraction of these (a few thousand perhaps) are temporary visitors such as tourists or students.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drbeach said:

If there are 295,000 Thais in America, I suspect that most of them are married to Americans and/or are permanent residents/citizens. Hardly likely they would want to return to Thailand, just because they have Thai blood. Only a small fraction of these (a few thousand perhaps) are temporary visitors such as tourists or students.

Interesting thought.  For every American expat guy here in Thailand (and that would include yours truly)—there are probably ten Thai ladies in America.

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

People think it could have been as early as October / November last year.

Funny you should say that.  In early January, before I'd even heard of Corona Virus, I bumped into an old friend and his (Thai) wife in Bangkok - they were on holiday and had just returned form the eastern seaboard. Whilst down there my mate became ill with a flu like illness and had to be hospitalised in Pattaya - his wife was also ill but less so.  He told me that he'd had difficulty breathing and was quite worried. Doctors could not be sure of what was wrong with him.

I forgot about that until recently when we spoke on the phone.  It could of course have been anything but like others, I suspect that Covid 19 has been around longer than we think. There's also the case of the man in France who's doctor asked for his samples to be re-tested last month. The original test had been done on 27 December 2019 before the world became aware of the current pandemic.  The retest proved positive for Covid 19 and the patient was then asked about his movements - there was no discernible connection to China although there was a potential connection through his wife.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-france-patient-zero-december.html

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

And probably an admission that their healthcare system will not be able to cope with a large outbreak

If they've got the infection rate okay here why let in potential problems.

many international countries are still tackling large numbers of patients.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

And what will be the requirements for aliens to fly into Thailand?

Chinese and many others come for couple of weeks. Meaning quarantine would not work. 

And that is why they've extended the flight ban. As long as they believe that quarantine is needed then no-one would come anyway. So no point in allowing flights.

• Like 2