Shipping my motorbike to Thailand from the UK

mikemi

Can anyone help me with this? Or point me to a company they may have used?

It is a 125, so it will be subject to 187% duty, correct me if I am wrong. But then as it is about 4 years old it will get a 45% discount, again correct me if I am wrong.

My assumption is they base it on the current price, as used vehicle?

So, if the used price is say 60,000 baht plus 20,000 to ship it * 1.87. then divide by 0.45 gives 67,320 baht

If its based on new price, is that new price in Thailand, or in the UK?

Does this maths seem correct? or am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

I know about the import tax, it is expensive and so on. And please, please, please, don't say "sell it buy another", I am well aware of the options that are open to me. And I may end up doing that, but I do need to figure out the costs before deciding, as its a nice bike that I want to keep.

I have tried emailing some companies but they do not reply.

• Haha 1

yeah maybe best to remove the nice bits and send them over

i would want to keep

• swingarm
  • exhaust
  • rearsets
  • handlebar
  • levers
  • seat
  • few other small bits

the rest of the bike can be scrapped

is this a more viable option?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikemi said:

i would want to keep

• swingarm
  • exhaust
  • rearsets
  • handlebar
  • levers
  • seat
  • few other small bits

AFAIK there is a 37% import duty on spare parts. But better check with the customs directly.

Guess there's something special about your bike, or at least special to you, but apart from the cost & the hassle of shipping & importing, a nice or rare bike could turn out to be a millstone.  It would be a target for thieves for sure.  Spares and insurance may be hard, or even impossible to obtain. 125's are plentiful and much cheaper in LOS than the UK.  BTW I brought in a pair of rear shocks at Swampy (in my luggage), declared at Customs and was not charged anything.  Customs did say that there would have been a charge on car parts, but not on bike parts.  These things change though, and that was a couple of years back, so maybe the 37% quoted above is new? 

16 hours ago, mikemi said:

i would want to keep

• swingarm
  • exhaust
  • rearsets
  • handlebar
  • levers
  • seat
  • few other small bits

No ,waste of time and money . As someone said before .Forget it sell it buy a New one in Thailand . It will be cheaper and a lot less running around and a lot less Hassles.

When you've done all the calculations, add on another 10-15k for when the customs people tell you that you need to hire an agent to do the paperwork because otherwise there's no telling how long it may take.

ok fine, i will strip the nice parts off it and post them, and buy another in thailand and refit.

I will not ship the bike.

37% of the parts value I can swallow that no problem. With any luck I wont get charged anything, I am sure I have sent stuff before that customs didnt care about

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

If you ever do import it ,can you ask them what happened to the Jag that i imported about 21 years ago , ????

Love to hear a few details if you have the time, Bert?

Sounds like the start of a good story.

5 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Love to hear a few details if you have the time, Bert?

Sounds like the start of a good story.

It is a long story .but i bet it ended up at one of their auctions (only invited people can go to them)unlike car auctions  outside ie not stuff nabbed by customs .

Edited by bert bloggs

On 5/24/2020 at 11:52 AM, mikemi said:

i would want to keep

• swingarm
  • exhaust
  • rearsets
  • handlebar
  • levers
  • seat
  • few other small bits

All of those parts will fit in your suitcase - that is when you're allowed to fly again.

Yes, there's supposed to be import duty and I'm not recommending you break the law but......... this is just a small list of some of the things I've taken - either in my suitcase or on the flight in a cardboard box over the last few years.

28 Double plug sockets and back boxes.

Black and Decker workmate.

5 ring gas hob.

30m roll of 10mm copper wire.

1/4 suitcase full of brass plumbing fittings, pipe clips etc.

Front and rear seats for my bike.

Headlight for my bike.

Not saying I won't be checked if I continue importing stuff but I haven't been stopped yet. The gas hob was a worrying time though. ????

As has already been said, forget importing the complete bike - the taxes made it a waste of time and apparently the cost of registering an imported vehicle went through the roof a while back but as far as I know - secondhand vehicles can no longer be imported (except for a very tight list of categories).

• Like 1

yeah i did think about stuffing a suitcase, but normally i travel really light - couple of t shirts, and a toothbrush sorta thing

but i thought it might be too big ... but maybe you are right i could try and fit it all in a big one.

first step is going to be strip everything down and bubble wrap, then see where we go from there

my wife takes all kinds of weird <deleted> back with her, the complete opposite, bags full of junk ...

I honestly would not bother shipping your bike to Thailand. The effort in doing so does not seem worthwhile as the "hassles" you'll encounter this end importing it will be frustrating. My advice is to sell your bike in the UK for a good price & buy a similar machine here. Thailand has been building bikes for years, it's a "must have" mode of transport for every family here & they are good at it. The choice you will have will amaze you & you will not be disappointed at their cost. If you want to purchase a bike a little more up market than a 125cc there are many 300cc bikes on the market here & ideal for buzzing around town ....... Yamaha, Honda & Kawasaki are the main brands here, but there are local brands that are even cheaper. Remember that Thailand builds bikes ........ hence nearly every one you buy from new should give you years of loyal service. Good luck & I hope you find Thailand to your liking ........ I'm into my 20th year & still loving every minute. Secondhand is a risk as most Thai's will not service their machines & only do repairs if something goes wrong. Unless you know the history forget buying secondhand. Bikes keep their value well & easily sold if you decide to sell. Thailand is what it is & what you make of it. Just be sensible, watch your wallet & live the good life ........ don't be put off by people who tell you otherwise........ everything is possible here, just be careful. Cheers.

yeah my bike was made in thailand I think, its a little honda

its not that I love the bike, its more that I love the parts I bought to upgrade it, so it looks like I will remove all the parts I want, scrap it

rebuy one in thailand, they are plentiful, and try to stuff the bits in a suitcase ????

Edited by mikemi
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Kerryd said:

It seems that "collectible" vehicles may still be allowed but it will be a pain in the keister to do it.

7 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Where did you see this? Anyone got more info?

It was just a line in one of the articles.
"Meanwhile, the import of used vehicles for uses other than personal, such as diplomatic vehicles, prototype vehicles for research and testing, vehicles to be modified for export, vehicles for museum display, and military vehicles will be under supervision of related agencies and not affected by the ban imposed by the Foreign Trade Department."
https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378880

I guess it would depend on the interpretation of "museum display" (and I suspect if they think you are going to ride it everyday then it wouldn't qualify). 

Also, in the thread from 2016 I linked in my previous post is one post by Richard-BKK where he notes:

If you want to try to import a "classic" bike, you might want to check with a certified Customs Broker, especially as you need to have all your ducks in a row before you try to ship the bike here.

Keep in mind, if you ship something here and it gets stuck in customs, you'll be charged a daily storage fee and it won't be cheap. DHL screwed up a shipment to me one time and 1 of the 2 boxes ended up stuck in Customs at the airport. I had to use a Broker to get the paperwork done and paid over 10,000 baht to get a box of "personal effects" (used clothes, linen, work boots and so on) that I'd shipped when my last job ended. (The *iss-off was, if I'd carried the exact same stuff with me when I flew in, Customs would have waved me through without any hassles even if they did look inside the boxes. The only reason I shipped them was because the company was paying the costs and I didn't have to deal with extra baggage fees at the airport which, as it turns out, would have been the cheaper and quicker way to do it.)

I was charged 200 baht/day in storage fees for the 4 days my box was held (DHL actually paid the fee as it was their screw up that resulted in the box being held). I don't know if the fee is based on size/quantity or is a "one fee fits all" type (where it could be a suitcase or a car and still gets charged the same amount for storage fees).

14 hours ago, Kerryd said:

It was just a line in one of the articles.
"Meanwhile, the import of used vehicles for uses other than personal, such as diplomatic vehicles, prototype vehicles for research and testing, vehicles to be modified for export, vehicles for museum display, and military vehicles will be under supervision of related agencies and not affected by the ban imposed by the Foreign Trade Department."
https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378880

I guess it would depend on the interpretation of "museum display" (and I suspect if they think you are going to ride it everyday then it wouldn't qualify). 

Also, in the thread from 2016 I linked in my previous post is one post by Richard-BKK where he notes:

If you want to try to import a "classic" bike, you might want to check with a certified Customs Broker, especially as you need to have all your ducks in a row before you try to ship the bike here.

Keep in mind, if you ship something here and it gets stuck in customs, you'll be charged a daily storage fee and it won't be cheap. DHL screwed up a shipment to me one time and 1 of the 2 boxes ended up stuck in Customs at the airport. I had to use a Broker to get the paperwork done and paid over 10,000 baht to get a box of "personal effects" (used clothes, linen, work boots and so on) that I'd shipped when my last job ended. (The *iss-off was, if I'd carried the exact same stuff with me when I flew in, Customs would have waved me through without any hassles even if they did look inside the boxes. The only reason I shipped them was because the company was paying the costs and I didn't have to deal with extra baggage fees at the airport which, as it turns out, would have been the cheaper and quicker way to do it.)

I was charged 200 baht/day in storage fees for the 4 days my box was held (DHL actually paid the fee as it was their screw up that resulted in the box being held). I don't know if the fee is based on size/quantity or is a "one fee fits all" type (where it could be a suitcase or a car and still gets charged the same amount for storage fees).

In my experience couriers are the worst way to get anything in. Post Office often gets through without problem, though this appears to vary depending on your local office (TiT).

If you want to get anything through customs at the port, then you are best to find a Thai broker who knows them (which usually means Somchai has a friend or relative in the customs dept). Brown envelopes are much loved by these people.

As for the OP and his motorcycle. Not worth the hassle.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

There was a dude called TG who was a regular contributor on here who did import at least one bike ( might have been 2 can't remember now ) from Britain .. I seem to recall him saying it wasn't an easy process and quite expensive .. and that was for a big bike not a 125 .. As others have already said just buy a small bike in Thailand .. It'll be a lot easier and cheaper .. 

• 1 year later...

There is a report of success here.

I remember reading and commenting about  someone else   saying they  imported a car  but there where specific special circumstances  something like  US military vehicle of maybe diplomatic..can't find the post now.

(not for lack of searching)