Pompeo says Hong Kong no longer warrants special U.S. treatment

webfact

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now I have a friend who works for HSBC in HK and we were talking about this last week. They have for the last few years been quietly moving sections of their business to Singapore because they see the future

What do you think will be the impact for the financial status of HK?

I know the British are busy dealing with their horrific and sad Covid death rates.

But, why can't they come out with a stronger response on this?

They want to rely again on the US to take the lead?

They have said much of nothing on a territory they agreed to basically give away, now that agreement is being hijacked by Communists. A much stronger response, and some leadership are definitely warranted and needed by Britain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, andre47 said:

What do you think will be the impact for the financial status of HK?

Well I'll defer to my friends opinion.

He says that in SE Asia it's for decades been that HK was the dominant and deepest market, with Singapore being the secondary.

He's in the process of relocating to Singapore and their internal forecasts are that within the next 5 years Singapore will outstrip the HK market 80:20

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That's the impression I get as well from doing some quick research on this. I do think that in the long run it will hurt China, but it will hurt US as well.

The actual economic contribution is 2.7% of mainland China and has been going down since 1997. However Hong Kong still has a vibrant and big market for equity and debt financing and the mainland will have to think hard if they want impose their might and change the special administration status. Too much has been talk about about China will to take away the 1 country 2 systems policy; it will not happen as that is not the mainland desire. This is about security and safety of Hong Kong and how it may affect the cohesion of China. Hong Kong will continue to have their own constitution which is unique for any large country and will continue to enjoy their freedom but matters concerning security will be reined in by China. US hawks are using Hong Kong as as a proxy in their dispute with China.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Clearly the CCP is breaking their sworn commitment to Hong Kong and the CCP is the evil player here. 

The CCP is like a virus. Everything it touches it sickens and kills. Just like the CCP  virus. 

The entire world is waking up to the true evil nature of the CCP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

The actual economic contribution is 2.7% of mainland China and has been going down since 1997. However Hong Kong still has a vibrant and big market for equity and debt financing and the mainland will have to think hard if they want impose their might and change the special administration status. Too much has been talk about about China will to take away the 1 country 2 systems policy; it will not happen as that is not the mainland desire. This is about security and safety of Hong Kong and how it may affect the cohesion of China. Hong Kong will continue to have their own constitution which is unique for any large country and will continue to enjoy their freedom but matters concerning security will be reined in by China. US hawks are using Hong Kong as as a proxy in their dispute with China.   

I disagree. The proposed new security law will be imposed by Beijing and this is a direct violation of the Basic Law. The security law can completely stifle free speech and protests, both basic tenets of democracy. This is the beginning of the end of the One country, two systems, and shows that China has no intention of honoring their commitment to this system until 2047, as was agreed during the handover. 

And how can you say Hong Kong will enjoy freedom but China will control security in the same sentence? They are, unfortunately, mutually exclusive. 

The US is in no was a perfect superpower, but please for a minute try to imagine a world that has China as the primary superpower. It is in no way a better place...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

the US has perhaps as much as 45 trillion in debt, and climbing. 26 trillion before this started, 6-10 trillion in Afghan and Iraqi war debt, that is totally off the books, thanks to that tricky little law Cheney had passed, and now another 6-10 trillion in stimulus debt. Where does it end? 

And don't forget what is called the "unfunded liabilities" (mostly retirement pensions) for a total of about 70 trillion dollars.

The US is bankrupt, plain and simple.

To be fair, China is not in a better position, with its total debt load at about 350% of GDP.

US vs China today looks very much like the Tyson (53) vs Holyfield (57) rematch that some are trying to promote...a clash at the entrance of the elephant cemetery...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

I disagree. The proposed new security law will be imposed by Beijing and this is a direct violation of the Basic Law. The security law can completely stifle free speech and protests, both basic tenets of democracy. This is the beginning of the end of the One country, two systems, and shows that China has no intention of honoring their commitment to this system until 2047, as was agreed during the handover. 

And how can you say Hong Kong will enjoy freedom but China will control security in the same sentence? They are, unfortunately, mutually exclusive. 

The US is in no was a perfect superpower, but please for a minute try to imagine a world that has China as the primary superpower. It is in no way a better place...

I don't see the new security law as a violation of the Basic Law. The new security law is included as an annex to the basic law and nothing in the Basic Law has been deleted including Article 27. Article 27 is still very much intact that declared that Hong Kong citizens shall have freedom of speech, of the press and of publication, freedom of association, of assembly, of procession and of demonstration, and the right and freedom to form and join trade unions and to strike.......... The right of peaceful assembly shall be recognized. The new law would make criminal any act of secession, subversion, terrorism and activities by foreign forces that interfere in Hong Kong. They are targeted at matters that every country will be concerned with. 

IMHO I don't think China aimed to be a superpower but want to co-exist with others. In this new era, no one country can dominate as super power. China is only interested to deliver to their people and keep the country intact after years of internal wars that split the country for centuries. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I don't see the new security law as a violation of the Basic Law. The new security law is included as an annex to the basic law and nothing in the Basic Law has been deleted including Article 27. Article 27 is still very much intact that declared that Hong Kong citizens shall have freedom of speech, of the press and of publication, freedom of association, of assembly, of procession and of demonstration, and the right and freedom to form and join trade unions and to strike.......... The right of peaceful assembly shall be recognized. The new law would make criminal any act of secession, subversion, terrorism and activities by foreign forces that interfere in Hong Kong. They are targeted at matters that every country will be concerned with. 

IMHO I don't think China aimed to be a superpower but want to co-exist with others. In this new era, no one country can dominate as super power. China is only interested to deliver to their people and keep the country intact after years of internal wars that split the country for centuries. 

Yes, you are parroting the official Chinese version - but that is not the reality. Just take a look at what's happening on the streets of HK as we speak, and you can see what the future will hold for that city. An annex to the Basic law - you can just add to the constitution at will? You may believe the propaganda, but the rest of the world is not fooled.

Just keep the country intact? Does that include laying claim to basically the entire South China Sea, and threatening to take Taiwan by force? China used to worry about just co-existing but are definitely flexing their muscles now, and the rest of the world should not see them as a friend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So just move to China since you love their benevolent system so much.

Heaven on earth!

I did. It is.

No bs with the Chinese. Just action.

The US is a debt ridden spent force with an idiot in charge, what can they do except cause problems in proxy protests? The finance centres have moved to Shanghai and Singapore so sanction away Donald, fill your boots. Let your proxy protestors vandalize it.

Edited by Traubert
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I know the British are busy dealing with their horrific and sad Covid death rates.

But, why can't they come out with a stronger response on this?

They want to rely again on the US to take the lead?

They have said much of nothing on a territory they agreed to basically give away, now that agreement is being hijacked by Communists. A much stronger response, and some leadership are definitely warranted and needed by Britain.

The once powerful UK is now but an afterthought of their former self.  At one time they dictated world policy.  Now they are but a bit player on the world stage.  Yes, they want to rely on the US to come to their aid just like they did in WW1 and again to save their a$$ in WW2.  They have been totally silent on the whole issue of Hong Kong as they and the world know that they have no more influence.  It is sad to see the demise of a once powerful country but as Dylan once sang, "the times they are a changin'".  

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Yes, you are parroting the official Chinese version - but that is not the reality. Just take a look at what's happening on the streets of HK as we speak, and you can see what the future will hold for that city. An annex to the Basic law - you can just add to the constitution at will? You may believe the propaganda, but the rest of the world is not fooled.

Just keep the country intact? Does that include laying claim to basically the entire South China Sea, and threatening to take Taiwan by force? China used to worry about just co-existing but are definitely flexing their muscles now, and the rest of the world should not see them as a friend.

I provide the facts and it is up to you to opine. What's happening to the streets of Hong Kong are people who have different views and that's fine. However the dark side of the demonstration is slowly creeping up with the beating up of a citizen who disagree with them. In the South China Post, they are reports of demonstrators throwing objects at groups of police before the police fired any tear gas. Violence can't be tolerated, whatever the provocation.

The new security is still in the draft stage and has not been passed. 

China and 5 ASEAN countries lay claim to South China Sea. It is on-going and nothing has been resolved. They will unify Taiwan by peaceful means but will not rule out force. It is their country. Rest of the world want trade with China that benefits all. US is afraid of China overtaking them and using Hong Kong and Taiwan as pawns in their attacks on China. It is a stupid strategy that will hurt both countries and caused collateral damages to world peace and the economy. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder what the long term consequences will be? Will it keep on being a financial hub? Lots of big banks, corporations... there? If there freedom of making business gets restricted, it will show.

18 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I provide the facts and it is up to you to opine. What's happening to the streets of Hong Kong are people who have different views and that's fine. However the dark side of the demonstration is slowly creeping up with the beating up of a citizen who disagree with them. In the South China Post, they are reports of demonstrators throwing objects at groups of police before the police fired any tear gas. Violence can't be tolerated, whatever the provocation.

The new security is still in the draft stage and has not been passed. 

China and 5 ASEAN countries lay claim to South China Sea. It is on-going and nothing has been resolved. They will unify Taiwan by peaceful means but will not rule out force. It is their country. Rest of the world want trade with China that benefits all. US is afraid of China overtaking them and using Hong Kong and Taiwan as pawns in their attacks on China. It is a stupid strategy that will hurt both countries and caused collateral damages to world peace and the economy. 

Did you get 50 cents for that post? I read the exact same opinion in the https://www.globaltimes.cn/, a fine, independent Chinese news source...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone who did not see this coming in one form or another the moment Britain left

is a slow learner.

The preferential trade with HK was abused by China with "made in HK " stickes being applied.

We & the HK locals just need to accept the fact that HK is now part of China & get on with it

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

"It's for the long-term stability of Hong Kong and China, it won’t affect the freedom of assembly and speech and it won’t affect the city's status as a financial centre," Hong Kong Chief Secretary Matthew Cheung told reporters.

and we will believe it when it comes to effect

It is not about Hong Kong. It is about power and China is in an extremely good position. Before they copied western technology. Today they buy the companies and so the technology. Trump is extremely busy to get re-elected since he was elected. This seems to be the only thing he cares about. And Europe (the EU) is a strange union of countries - a very stupid construction by obviously stupid people... I think that China will win. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, varun said:

Spoken like a true puppet.

This supposed security law is basically lipstick on a pig.

The extradition bill didn't fly, so the commies decided to give it another go & dressed it up as a "security law".

Although, legal clauses are open to different interpretations,

the Basic Law is mostly black and white. 

Either you are clamping down on freedom of speech or you are not.

Either you are upholding One Country Two Systems or you are not - simple as that.

Just be humble and admit you really don’t know much about the basic law article 27 which is still intact. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, varun said:

Spoken like a true puppet.

This supposed security law is basically lipstick on a pig.

The extradition bill didn't fly, so the commies decided to give it another go & dressed it up as a "security law".

Although, legal clauses are open to different interpretations,

the Basic Law is mostly black and white. 

Either you are clamping down on freedom of speech or you are not.

Either you are upholding One Country Two Systems or you are not - simple as that.

it has been 1 country and 1.5 systems for quite sometime already.... saddly I guess the 0.5 will be gone soon

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oldie said:

And Europe (the EU) is a strange union of countries - a very stupid construction by obviously stupid people...

really, did you came up with that conclusion all by yourself

• Like 1

trump will do nothing,  did he do anything about the Journalist that was murdered in Istanbul?  he loves Xi, in fact envies him.  dreams of  being  a lifer with absolute power

Edited by malibukid

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

It is not about Hong Kong. It is about power and China is in an extremely good position. Before they copied western technology. Today they buy the companies and so the technology. Trump is extremely busy to get re-elected since he was elected. This seems to be the only thing he cares about. And Europe (the EU) is a strange union of countries - a very stupid construction by obviously stupid people... I think that China will win. 

You and the CCP share the same weakness, that they believe their own propaganda about how the free world thinks and functions.  This is an unavoidable result of the tyrannical oppression of ideas and freedom of thought. They become locked into their own ideological prison.

They mistake the West's apparent confusion for weakness. That confusion is simply the noise of free ideas advancing. Precisely why totalitarian regimes never seem to change. Even Lee Kuan Yew said the West will always survive because they are so adaptive.

This failure of the CCP to understand the free world will be their downfall.

China vs. world? World:1 China 0.

Edited by rabas
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Brunolem said:

While China is mostly bringing misery within its borders

Yes I have seen that misery on the faces of the millions of Chinese that are now able to take luxury holidays in Pattaya, Phuket and elsewhere.......a heart wrenching experience!?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Yeah, Trump is such a baddie so lets just cozy up to communists... 

He says about the most predatory capitalist nation in the world.

I'm sure you know the term "R.I.N.O."... China is "C.I.N.O."

• Haha 1