Thai hotels on the chopping block

webfact

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Tourism was already in a state of decline. Then they deliberately shut down their economy, for the first time in recorded history. Two million tourists were here in December, another two million in January. Probably two million more until mid to late February when they shut it all down. Likely many were infected since 40% were from China and many from Europe. Yet, they ended up with 60 deaths. Break that one down. 

And now, millions of jobs have been lost and nobody knows when international tourism will return and what the restrictions will be. 

But at least now they can have medical tourism, people from Europe will escape apocalypse in their country to come to safe Thailand.

Oh wait the virus is disappearing in Europe as well, too bad.

43 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Last thing is to sell to the Chinese. That would totally sickeningly dig them in deeper here. 

Who else will buy? Who else can buy?

They're probably closing the contract with your next door neighbours right now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

But at least now they can have medical tourism, people from Europe will escape apocalypse in their country to come to safe Thailand.

Oh wait the virus is disappearing in Europe as well, too bad.

The new mantra for TAT can read - Safe and "TRUSTED" Thailand, now. 555

3 hours ago, Anton9 said:

Thailand has destroyed its economy over 58 deaths.

Yesterday 62 people died on the road.

Well I'm still alive and I think the government for prompt and effective action. How would you like to be in the 40-odd dead in the UK and their economy is wrecked as well.

No one hasn't got a set of disgruntled people, maybe those that lost money or their job and they are forgetting that they may still be alive only due to the prompt and effective actions of Prayut et al.

Do I care if a bunch of rip-off hotel owners lose some money? No. Or some poor service airlines and THAI was going broke anyway.

Tell me where the economy is booming before bleating about this.

Your argument about road deaths is fraudulent....solutions exist for road deaths totally independent the actions needed to control the virus.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There was a time when people, families and companies owned their property. In good times they made good money and in bad times no money.

But it seems these days (since many years) the property is more or less owned by the bank. In good times the so called owners make money and in bad times they go bankrupt - because they never planned for bad times.

I think if businesses only work in good time and owners live on cash-flow alone then they should not be surprised if they crash.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Who else will buy? Who else can buy?

They're probably closing the contract with your next door neighbours right now.

Then I will have to make higher and thicken the 15ft walls I have. totally seal off. 

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Tourism was already in a state of decline. Then they deliberately shut down their economy, for the first time in recorded history. Two million tourists were here in December, another two million in January. Probably two million more until mid to late February when they shut it all down. Likely many were infected since 40% were from China and many from Europe. Yet, they ended up with 60 deaths. Break that one down. 

And now, millions of jobs have been lost and nobody knows when international tourism will return and what the restrictions will be. 

I've said this in many threads, but it's fanciful to believe international travel will rebound, let alone international tourist travel, at least from the West.

Working for an airline I see the domestic passenger loads, we're not an international station, but until you see domestic air travel bounce back, thats the leading indicator for international travel.

Then you have the financial impact. A lot of folks will have drained down their savings through this, and I sincerely doubt getting on a plane to Thailand for a vacation is high on their 'to do' list

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

opportunist buyers from Singapore and China lead the list of foreigners who are ready to snatch up property bargains at prices

So Chinese from Singapore and Chinese from China are snapping up the properties. Who could ever have predicted that? And the silent takeover of Thailand is complete. Well, silent except around the hotel buffet table.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Well I'm still alive and I think the government for prompt and effective action. How would you like to be in the 40-odd dead in the UK and their economy is wrecked as well.

No one hasn't got a set of disgruntled people, maybe those that lost money or their job and they are forgetting that they may still be alive only due to the prompt and effective actions of Prayut et al.

Do I care if a bunch of rip-off hotel owners lose some money? No. Or some poor service airlines and THAI was going broke anyway.

Tell me where the economy is booming before bleating about this.

Your argument about road deaths is fraudulent....solutions exist for road deaths totally independent the actions needed to control the virus.

The UK economy will do a lot better than Thailand's for sure. 20%+ loss of GDP for Thailand with a lack of tourism.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Thailand needs urgently to step down on harsh immigration policies. These policies may give money and importance to many involved due to the jungle of confusing red tape, but end up in destroying the nations golden goose.

Immigration policies have absolutely nothing to do with tourist numbers. Most come in for a month - long enough for most genuine tourists - with no formalities at all.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

The new mantra for TAT can read - Safe and "TRUSTED" Thailand, now. 555

Believe it or not they already changed it to "Amazing trusted Thailand"! Amazing was not enough. Was it the tens of thousands of elephants as far as the eye could see, the warm, gracious and welcome attitude of immigration, the pristine environment and clean air, or the world class transportation network?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Wish the government would buy up all the older hotels in disrepair here in Pattaya and take them down.  They keep building new ones and new condo complexes, while the old hotel eye-sores remain.  

But start with Waterfront Condo first.  Finish it or tear it down.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I've said this in many threads, but it's fanciful to believe international travel will rebound, let alone international tourist travel, at least from the West.

Working for an airline I see the domestic passenger loads, we're not an international station, but until you see domestic air travel bounce back, thats the leading indicator for international travel.

Then you have the financial impact. A lot of folks will have drained down their savings through this, and I sincerely doubt getting on a plane to Thailand for a vacation is high on their 'to do' list

You could not possibly be more spot on. The very market that Thailand targets and the only market it is able to attract (primarily lower to lower middle income Indians and Chinese, and to a smaller extent lower end Europeans) is the market that was hit the hardest by both the pandemic and the insane shutdown of the world's economies. 

The recovery will be long and painful. Anything but the stupid (totally speculative) V they are discussing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I think the majority of the so called "big"  hotels in Thailand are owned by Chinese companies, same as Cambodia. selling to them, unfortunately, will not be something new, Thailand has been for sale for quite sometime at least since 2014

Not so sure that is true of the Chinese owning a lot of hotels, but one thing is certain they do snap up a heck of a lot of the condos and rent them out like hotel rooms. Thailand has been like welcome, come invest then get out!