Eva air cattle market

Steve Vincent

18 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

That's not good at all. I don't plan to fly until this thing is nipped in the bud. Way too dangerous.

Airplanes are already germ petri dishes.

I think we're well past the bud and into the flowering stage. 

I've resigned myself to not going to my homeland until later next year. In any event Thailand is safer now than America is and flying thru 4 international airports to get home is a bridge too far for me now. 

There's no way a plane jammed to the gills can be safe. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Well what do the filters on ac units do then?

Some planes have HEPA filters, but not all as they are expensive and require maintenance to remain effective. But no filter in recirculating air is protection against the seats close to you. 

On 6/8/2020 at 6:53 PM, Steve Vincent said:

Was told if wanted to upgrade would cost me 400 dollars refused as already paid for return flight !

The upgrade would have been for only the flight that you were on. It has no effect to your return. Actually US$400 is a pretty good price for an upgrade to the UK. It's normally $1000 (or more) from Qatar to the USA.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:33 PM, ukrules said:

You should have booked business class.

The chairs are not only larger but also more spread out and many less to each row depending on the plane type of course.

Me thinks the pre-booked business class would have been very expensive, but I sort of agree. I think it's naive to think the airlines would sell coach tickets at regular full price and leave 1/3 of the plane empty. Afterall, if the pip at the window of even a socially distanced plane has the coronavirus, they'll be spreading the 'germ' to least 1/3 of the other passengers.  It would be rare that a person could make the flight airport to airport without at least one trip to the loo. ????

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

EVA operate 3 cabins on the B777 doing the London to Bangkok flights - economy, premium economy and business. OP is clearly sitting in economy.

In February this year, premium economy flights prior to pandemic were over double the economy price, hence I skipped EVA on that occasion used Gulf Air business class for an extra 500 quid. Therefore, $400 (or did the OP mean £) upgrade to premium economy represents very decent value. But you aren't going to see much more social distancing there - just better legroom, wide armrests and better food with metal cutlery. They also are less stingy with drinks (would be surprised people managed to get drunk in economy if police were there to meet any). Layout is 2-4-2.

Business is the only cabin where you'll get some semblance of social distancing. Pre-pandemic, EVA pricing was £2-2.4k for that cabin. Whether it still will be in future, and whether the experience is worth it anymore, is debatable. 

Someone earlier on thread mentioned first class - they don't have it.

Regarding the freezer breakage - happened to me once, got back to UK and found the freezer had expired. Neighbour who was checking my flat had mentioned a smell but thought it was the sink.....oh dear. Sorting that mess out after a Bangkok-London flight - never again LOL! 

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

But you aren't going to see much more social distancing there - just better legroom, wide armrests and better food with metal cutlery.

Good post but I don't agree with better food in EVA premium economy over economy LHR-BKK.  It's exactly the same, other than bottles of Fiji water and Häagen-Dazs ice cream.  

At least you get to eat the economy food with metal cutlery, though.  

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:

Good post but I don't agree with better food in EVA premium economy over economy LHR-BKK.  It's exactly the same, other than bottles of Fiji water and Häagen-Dazs ice cream.  

At least you get to eat the economy food with metal cutlery, though.  

Yep, I'm sure you are correct. The reason I wondered if it was different was because I haven't used economy for a few years and the quality seems to be better than I remember it - can recall a few rank meals on the way back in the past!  I guess they just improved across the board. Have used EVA business once and was due to again in May - definitely a significant step up from premium but whether that's going to be worth a treat in the new normal remains to be seen. 

On 6/8/2020 at 10:32 PM, robblok said:

What a strange remark, OP wants social distancing but expects to pay the same price ????

Either you pay more and get your distance, did you really expect the airline to take the hit ?

OP is probably salty cause he thought he'd get a full row to himself & was disappointed the plane was full. On top of this, he doesn't value his life at $400. Really? You complain but when offered an upgrade, you refuse because it was $400. What did you expect, a free upgrade. Right, I see!!!!

People like this should just stay put.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 6:29 PM, holy cow cm said:

$400 extra is really a bargain to go up to business class. I would have jumped in a heart beat.

He was going for the free upgrade. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. On this occassion, it didn't!!!