Pattaya: Foreign motorcyclist rushed to hospital in serious condition after collision with dog

webfact

Just now, johng said:

Spaying and neutering  do nothing  for the accidents,barking,biting and pooing caused, they should be rounded up and put in a dog pound  until the (not) owner is found,or a new responsible owner is found, who can pay for the vaccinations and spaying/neutering those left after a month  dispatched to the next life humanely.

Spaying and neutering control the population, leading to less accidents, bites, rabies and noise. There isn't a dog pound on earth that could house the strays here, so the only option is the future, controlling the growth. I don't see Thais going to a shelter to get a dog.

Robblok.  That doesn't help the cause of ridding this country of soi dogs.  Time is well overdue here to call time on soi dogs everywhere in the Kingdom.  With the sad death of King Rama 9 who was a serious dog lover the action should have begun then.  When around in packs they can be quite frightening.  You have to run the gauntlet of them snapping at your heels when walking in little used soi's or them biting your legs when passing on a motorcycle.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Fine, if your on either a trail bike or something over 500cc anything else and you'll be lucky to stay on...

Depends on the size of the dog : one of these Chinese miniature lap dogs wouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

Have you tried it on a motorbike ?   I have..the bike went straight down I got some nasty "roadrash" and the dog died.

Guess it depends what your on missus went straight over the dog that ran out on her on her ninja 250 barely a bump, she did not panic and she didn't try to go around it

I was a bit proud of her really though thinking about it could have been she never noticed it!!

ps it was a normal medium sized dog and yep it died...

Edited by mark131v

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Why react?  Drive over the damn mutt.....

On a scooter, don't think so, maybe if he was on a Versys and going straight then ur suggestion might work, heartless and unfeeling, even though the dog is Thai breed.

What other breed can it be ?

In an auto, the safest way is slowing down but not driving off the road or into other cars to avoid the animal. People die every year trying to avoid animals and drive off the road into trees, ditches or oncoming traffic. The only case where you do your best to not hit an animal is in the case of a moose, cow or buffalo. It's still safer to hit them but very dangerous also. People hit deer every year that go into the windshield and into the car. Hitting any animal with a scooter or motorcycle can be really bad, but it's hard to avoid them unless you can go around them without leaving the lane. My friend hit a deer with his Harley he couldn't avoid and he really did a number on his leg.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Goats are worse, if anyone on a motorbike encounters one. 

As one only needs about 18 inches for a motorbike , I suspect the rider panicked, braked hard and fixated on the dog.   

i'm inclined to agree, whether driving or riding you need to be constantly aware of obvious and potential risks. back home i come from the countryside where, though it's not that common, animals; pheasants, badgers, rabbits, deer, sheep, cattle etc. can run into the road at anytime, therefore i am constantly aware of the danger and drive appropriately. i have encountered many such situations over the years and never hit anything as i was always able to take appropriate action.

driving in a built up area my mind is always on pedestrians stepping into the road, children or dogs/cats running into the road. this is especially true in thailand.

also, no assumptions, just the question; was he wearing a helmet? it would have been helpful if the 'journalist' who wrote the piece could have done a little bit of fact finding...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobbin said:

Maybe.. on a Harley.

Anything much smaller and you are going down. Good technique for 4 wheels, bad technique on 2 wheels. Motorcycles require you to be balanced.

Nah, i stayed on

Honda wave. :thumbsup:

Edited by quake

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

also, no assumptions, just the question; was he wearing a helmet? it would have been helpful if the 'journalist' who wrote the piece could have done a little bit of fact finding...

I'll assume:

No slide marks visible, nothing looks to be detached/mangled from/about the bike (no pics of damage), he and the bike are very close together.

Only head injuries mentioned, no dressings on, or misalignment of, bare right arm.

The dog is not dead, it looks to have walked away and laid down.

Assumption:

He wasn't travelling very fast when he hit the dog......and then the concrete.

There would have been no "story" if he had worn one.

"whether driving or riding you need to be constantly aware of obvious and potential risks"

First risk of motorcycling, anywhere, is that of riding without a helmet.

Edited by Enoon

Soi / stray dogs need to be taken off the roads. It's the villages headman / Village chief in charge's reponsibilty. But normallz they give a f*** about it. 2 of my friends got bitten by strays and needed shots. And to pay for them.

10 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Goats are worse, if anyone on a motorbike encounters one. 

As one only needs about 18 inches for a motorbike , I suspect the rider panicked, braked hard and fixated on the dog.   

I thought you said ghosts !

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I had to look up Gofen:

"Gofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine, which is used to relieve pain in conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea), muscle aches, headache, back pain, dental pain, etc. It is also used to treat mild-to-moderate fever."

The dogs had menstrual cramps?, dental pain? Doesn't sound like rat poison......

Gofen is liquid ibuprofen and kills dogs. It poisons them.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Robblok.  That doesn't help the cause of ridding this country of soi dogs.  Time is well overdue here to call time on soi dogs everywhere in the Kingdom.  With the sad death of King Rama 9 who was a serious dog lover the action should have begun then.  When around in packs they can be quite frightening.  You have to run the gauntlet of them snapping at your heels when walking in little used soi's or them biting your legs when passing on a motorcycle.

The % of bites is very small considering the amount of dogs about, nothing to get bent out of shape about.

• Like 1

Dogs here are usually institutionalised from many interactions with humans, the dog that bites is the exception rather than the rule, and they usually don't last very long. Personally, I'm all for neutering, spraying, euthenasia. Unfortunately, the Thais have a fascination with puppies, which keeps the whole thing going. I've seen a guy at the local 7/11 interacting with the dogs outside, so gentle. My SO has a different attitude, she raises her broom, the dogs run.

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Poor dog if the foreigner had not come to Thailand this poor Thai dog would still be alive. Fine the foreigner for dangerous driving and send him back to his country.

RIP !

I have read on another thread old foreigners telling us that they are sure that driving bikes in Thailand is not dangerous...

here is another evidence in case they needed more...

sad for your children..

• Thanks 1