Change Car Tyres after 40,000km?

GF has been told that we should change the tyres on her car at it's 40,000km service (Toyota Yaris 3 years old)

In the uk we only change tyres when the tread is low, do they do things different here (TiT) due to the poor roads and the heat?

• Haha 2

It's just their advice - take it or leave it. If you don't want to change, tell them no. The legal minimum depth tread is 1.6mm, but heat, humidity, and sunlight all shorten the lifespan of tires here compared with in the UK or other more temperate climates, unless you've kept the car in a garage. 

I got 70,000 km out of a set of Michelins on my Vios. Were not even down to the tread wear indicators, mechanic said I had cracking in the treads. Probably had another 5000 - 10,000 km in them.

40,000 km is just sales talk, 50,000 should be a minimum unless most of the travel is on dirt roads.

25 minutes ago, transam said:

Michelin guarantee for up to nine years, 3 on the shelf, 6 on the car....

Yes very true Trans, Michelin do give a guarantee, and yes tyres will last years but I have a different priority wrt tyres. 

All MICHELIN® tires4 (both replacement and original equipment) come with a limited warranty for treadwear, as well as a limited warranty which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first.   Quote from michelinman.com

3 year old car if purchased new, should have 3 year old tires fitted. That may stretch to 4 years, dependent on time of completion. Check the DOT code on each tire for date of manufacture (first 2 digits are week and second 2 digits are year). So the second digits should show; 17 or 18.

If you're being told that you need to change all 4 tires. They're likely to be scamming you.

Lots of reasons why they may be compromised though, especially front tires nowadays (but that would be 2 tires). Listen to what they're telling you. Read up on tire specs and look for yourself before deciding what to do.

Tire brands and variants thereof are a personal preference. All meet the minimum of the approved standard. Tires with over-stated 'ECO' advantages give a hard ride which will get worse over time.

Wife's daily rider came with Michelin ECO's and after 2 years had all the characteristics of a Flintstone wheel.

They may save on fuel, but shake your car to bits. Typical of what's marketed as environmentally friendly.

23 hours ago, Denim said:

Tyres harden in the extreme heat here after a few years. Often have plenty of tread left and ok to use but the ride becomes a bit harsher and a bit noisier.

Braking distance is increased also. Most of my sedan tires are ready to be chaned by about 40K kms as well - they still have tread but get hard and noise increases also. I have a crv now, but most owners seem to change about about 70K on that car. Probably as the tread is deeper. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Pirelli P6 Tyres, strange that when visiting the Tyre Plus type outlets no one has any. Never gone away from Mich or Pirelli ,now its just the one. Anyone know why this is.?

Must not be sold here, even when searching Lazada only the P1 and P7 are listed.

On 6/12/2020 at 3:17 PM, Mama Noodle said:

No, you just change tires when they are worn out, not by K's

Typical upsell nonsense. 

Correct. Proper tire rotation for equal wear then change when the indicator on threads shows or 3mm threads. 

30 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I would change after the tyres are 3 years old regardless. After that time in the heat and on the road at 40,000K you've had good value and the safety vs replacement cost curve increases dramatically. All it takes is a downpour with low tread and hardened rubber and it's possible to be sliding and spinning everywhere. Personally I'm more concerned about other vehicles running on slicks but you need to have confidence in your own vehicle's safety.  

I'm inclined to agree with that. Although they seem to be a big one-off cost, and the 18" or 20" tyres on our Fortuner won't be cheap, if you calculate the cost per week or month they are a bargain, and what price do you put on safety,

Edited by Tuvoc
typo
  • Like 1

I used to Novated lease cars through work back in Oz. For tax purpose I had 4 years with 25,000k year. 1 lease the tyres (cant remember the brand) lasted the full 100,000k.

I have a small car here and when I was told I needed to replace tyres after 4 years and only 40,000k I questioned them. He then pointed out that even though plenty tread left the rubber was starting to perish and crack. Heat, poor roads, poor quality rubber who knows but I didn't want my car letting me down driving down a Thai highway, there's a enough to contend with as it is so I changed them.

• Like 2

Still have the original Set of Dunlop Tyres on my 4yrs old Mazda 2. Now 60k and still in good Shape, no cracks. I changed after 3 Years the Wheels from rear to frontaxle, what reduced the noise remarkable. I think, I go up to 100k before I change.

• Sad 1

Tyres do age and the performance degrades dramatically. The ride and braking performance as well as cornering grip will reduce by a significant amount after 4-5 years. Regardless of the tread depth, do not use tyres here after they're 5 years old. Change them and the difference is dramatic. My wife's car, when we met - a Honda Jazz, had a really bad ride and terrible grip. Changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and the difference in comfort & grip especially in the wet, was incredible. I have bought several sets since for different cars but always go for Michelin Pilot Sport  - now PS 4. Buy tires from the company that's spending the most on research, which is generally Michelin. Never scrimp on the things that attach you to the road! And this is why Thais drive so slowly in the wet. They know how <deleted> their tyres are..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

I changed after 3 Years the Wheels from rear to frontaxle

I would think that the service manual will advise to rotate the tyres every 10,000 km, front to back, left to right. Bought some Maxxiss for my Vigo, and they rotate and balance free of charge (no, sorry, INCLUDED in the price)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, katatonic said:

Tyres do age and the performance degrades dramatically. The ride and braking performance as well as cornering grip will reduce by a significant amount after 4-5 years. Regardless of the tread depth, do not use tyres here after they're 5 years old. Change them and the difference is dramatic. My wife's car, when we met - a Honda Jazz, had a really bad ride and terrible grip. Changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and the difference in comfort & grip especially in the wet, was incredible. I have bought several sets since for different cars but always go for Michelin Pilot Sport  - now PS 4. Buy tires from the company that's spending the most on research, which is generally Michelin. Never scrimp on the things that attach you to the road! And this is why Thais drive so slowly in the wet. They know how <deleted> their tyres are..

Agreed on the tyres. At least in LOS they are reasonably priced.

Where have you seen Thais drive slowly in the wet? Only time I see Thais driving slowly are when they are looking for a food stand or restaurant in an unfamiliar neighbourhood. 

• Like 2