Thailand to train 10 million people in CPR over next 3 years

webfact

By The Nation

800_550ccc3000f86a2.jpg?v=1592292559

Health authorities want to mobilise an army of emergency responders in Thailand by training 10 million members of the public in CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation).

On Monday (June 15), Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul presided over the Health Emergency Response Outstanding (HERO) Award for rescuers who had come to the aid of victims suffering heart attacks. Anutin noted that CPR increases the survival chances for people with cardiac arrest, which is the primary cause of death among Thais.

Health authorities are now organising training for village health volunteers and the general public, aiming to give at least 10 million people life-saving CPR skills within the next three years.

So far this year, the 1669 emergency hotline had received more than 90,000 calls for aid from people looking after patients who stopped breathing, said Dr Atchariya Paengma, secretary-general of the National Institute of Emergency Medicine. In each case, the patient’s chance of survival would be higher if the people at hand had knowledge and skills in basic rescue or CPR.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389703

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-16

Excellent strategy.... 

Laws must also change whereby layman first responders cannot be targeted or charged by the Police if providing first aid care.

It is often mentioned that reason so many standby in Thailand and do nothing is because they are fearful of being blamed for worsening the injuries which is possible.

'Consistent' first aid training would be welcomed.

1) Don't move if a neck or spinal injury is suspected.

2) Check for pulse - if no pulse perform CPR

3) If bleeding, apply direct pressure

These basics will save enough lives - Teaching at Villages and also in schools would be excellent.

Additionally: Motorcycle awareness lessons (75%) of the death toll is from motorcycles, mostly young males.

Teach kids at an early age the dangers of motorcycling and responsible riding - it could make a difference for some.

• Like 2

This must be in response to the gentleman who jumped on top of a injured man as a Rescue Volunteer and more than like assisted the mans demise.....No training at all in this country as far as volunteer's go.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

It's a good idea. But...what will probably happen is...

The Health Minister (and his helpful cronies) will decide they need...say...1000 Baht per trainee. Then they'll make a big show of it all, while actually training maybe a few thousand people....mainly for the photo op. The whole idea will quickly be forgotten and the rest of the money will become pure profit.

At the end of the day...even after giving dozens of government officials their cut of the action....Anutin will still take home trainloads of cash.

Never underestimate the truly stupid.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Good. Don't forget to keep refreshing the skills too. It's been over 10y since I last practised, I've probably forgotten the proper moves already. 

The compression ratio has probably changed since then; I believe it is now 30 compression's to 2 breaths. At least it was last year.

I guess they change these ratios for a reason (lost count to the number of changes from when I started first response training in the 70's) so again, I guess it is a good idea for the refreshers. The company I am working for here in Thailand started basic first aid (including CPR) for key personnel about 10 years ago, but have changed to include all personnel on an annual basis, training from the Bangkok (Phitsanulok) hospital team. Hopefully nobody ever has to use it, but always a good thing to know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Laws must also change whereby layman first responders cannot be targeted or charged by the Police if providing first aid care.

It is often mentioned that reason so many standby in Thailand and do nothing is because they are fearful of being blamed for worsening the injuries which is possible.

absolutely,
even in College Students are taught not to touch someone that had an accident as they apparently will be liable in case the person dies.

29 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

The compression ratio has probably changed since then; I believe it is now 30 compression's to 2 breaths. At least it was last year.

apparently it has changed from 1970 when I did my Certificate,
Also, on Thai news we frequently see compressions but no ventilation.
In any case: an "old fashioned"-CPR creates better results than "no"-CPR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Do not know about Thailand but in the west there are no breaths, just keep pumping.

Have a look at the photo where the hands are placed. If it were a person and not a dummy he would have a broken sternum if the operator was strong enough.

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Ribs & Sternum fractures do occur frequently.

I remember practising with the dummy, it was very easy to get a red light and a beep because of too much force and wrong moves. Took a while to get the right placement, pressure and rythm. We also practised in pairs, which is far easier as you don't have to reposition all the time. I was taught to clear airways and ventilate as well, I guess that's now old school.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I remember practising with the dummy, it was very easy to get a red light and a beep because of too much force and wrong moves. Took a while to get the right placement, pressure and rythm. We also practised in pairs, which is far easier as you don't have to reposition all the time. I was taught to clear airways and ventilate as well, I guess that's now old school.

Yes I remember getting bad back pain after my training; performing Chest compressions is really hard work.

I have been CPR certified and basic first aid trained since 1974.  The only time it lapsed was when I was living in Thailand.  When I took my last CPR class a year ago it was still 30 compressions and 2 ventilations.  Then the process is repeated. 

It is a good idea to teach this skill in all schools by competent certified instructors.  Thailand will also need to change their current laws so people are not held liable.