what percent of obesity cases are the result of lifestyle choices?

16 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

OK thanks for comments, but I never said they were newborns, I said they were too young to walk, which eliminates exercise as the cause. I also said they were born this way and didn't choose it.

From your link: "The main point is clear, though: A lot of babies in this country may be at risk — if their high weight is sustained — of obesity. So, what is going on? To what degree is the mother's weight a cause of the baby's weight?"

We are getting somewhere. There ARE other factors besides diet and exercise.

Yes there are but its for a minority of cases. But its used by far more people as an excuse.

Most people like you think a diet is something you can do and then go back to the old diet.

That is the problem it requires a lifestyle change not a temporary change.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes there are but its for a minority of cases. But its used by far more people as an excuse.

Most people like you think a diet is something you can do and then go back to the old diet.

That is the problem it requires a lifestyle change not a temporary change.

Very presumptuous of you to tell me what I think a diet is. I have been fat almost my entire adult life, tried the "exercise more, eat less" mantra many times. Failed every time, as nearly all people do. It simply is not effective for the vast majority of people. The data supports this.

BUT in the last ten months I have lost 15kg WITHOUT trying, without dieting or exercising, and I am not hungry and I'm not eating any special foods, and I have no health problems and nothing wrong with me, I don't take any medications at all, didn't get my stomach tied, and I am finally confident that I can reach my weight target for the first time in my life. I eat pretty much whatever I want. You see? It's actually NOTHING to do with diet and exercise. I finally figured out the problem in my body and I fixed it.

Edited by NotYourBusiness
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Very presumptuous of you to tell me what I think a diet is. I have been fat almost my entire life, tried the "exercise more, eat less" mantra many times. Failed every time, as nearly all people do. It simply is not effective for the vast majority of people. The data supports this.

BUT in the last ten months I have lost 15kg WITHOUT trying, without dieting or exercising, and I am not hungry and I'm not eating any special foods, and I have no health problems and nothing wrong with me, I don't take any medications at all, and I am finally confident that I can reach my target for the first time in my life. You see? It's not all diet and exercise.

You made a lifestyle change without realizing it. People are always looking for a quick fix, but it doesn't work with regards to staying in shape. It has to be permanent. You had to have cut your calories and/or exercised more, or you wouldn't have lost weight. Eating less because of obligations can cut calories, even if you don't think you did anything different. If you are past middle age as most here are, your metabolism has been getting slower all the time. If you started out as a thinner man, with a fast metabolism, you may have eaten bad for a long time, and that fast metabolism couldn't handle all the extra calories or lack of exercise you didn't do, and now, being that same person with a little slower metabolism, but still a fast one compared to others, you burned some calories by not eating as much and you lost weight. There isn't any secret formula. Eat less, exercise more or both, you lose fat. Not eating after 6PM helps. Not missing breakfast helps. Eating smaller meals helps, and it adds up . Exercise more, eat less, works for everyone, IF they stay with it and not backslide.What was the problem with your body that you fixed? i posted before you edited.

Edited by fredwiggy

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You made a lifestyle change without realizing it. People are always looking for a quick fix, but it doesn't work with regards to staying in shape. It has to be permanent. You had to have cut your calories and/or exercised more, or you wouldn't have lost weight. Eating less because of obligations can cut calories, even if you don't think you did anything different. If you are past middle age as most here are, your metabolism has been getting slower all the time. If you started out as a thinner man, with a fast metabolism, you may have eaten bad for a long time, and that fast metabolism couldn't handle all the extra calories or lack of exercise you didn't do, and now, being that same person with a little slower metabolism, but still a fast one compared to others, you burned some calories by not eating as much and you lost weight. There isn't any secret formula. Eat less, exercise more or both, you lose fat. Not eating after 6PM helps. Not missing breakfast helps. Eating smaller meals helps, and it adds up . Exercise more, eat less, works for everyone, IF they stay with it and not backslide.

OK man, thanks for the input, but you are just repeating the same mantra, "exercise more, eat less", and as I already said, that is profoundly ineffective for nearly ALL people. You think I made a lifestyle change and didn't realize it? That's funny. Yes I made a lifestyle change, but it was NONE of the things you mentioned. As I said one hundred times already, those things DON'T WORK for most people, and they never worked for me either.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Very presumptuous of you to tell me what I think a diet is. I have been fat almost my entire adult life, tried the "exercise more, eat less" mantra many times. Failed every time, as nearly all people do. It simply is not effective for the vast majority of people. The data supports this.

BUT in the last ten months I have lost 15kg WITHOUT trying, without dieting or exercising, and I am not hungry and I'm not eating any special foods, and I have no health problems and nothing wrong with me, I don't take any medications at all, didn't get my stomach tied, and I am finally confident that I can reach my weight target for the first time in my life. I eat pretty much whatever I want. You see? It's actually NOTHING to do with diet and exercise. I finally figured out the problem in my body and I fixed it.

You made a lifestyle change simple as that. You might have selected different foods.

Eating less can also mean eating different. I was fat too, always had problems cutting fat. Until i got it right with unprocessed foods and good exercise.  

Just now, NotYourBusiness said:

OK man, thanks for the input, but you are just repeating the same mantra, "exercise more, eat less", and as I already said, that is profoundly ineffective for nearly ALL people.

It has proven to be ineffective because people are looking for a quick fix, and don't have the willpower to stay with what works like I and others have done.

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

I don't either. But what I mind is fat friends dying a decade or so early and just leaving me with memories.

Yes but its their choice.. I only mind people like NotYourBusiness who tell me that things are impossible. Lost 25 kilo, there are many others who did the same and kept it off. By saying its genetics and so on he demeans the effort people put into stuff and the dedication of lifestyle changes. 

Almost everyone can lose weight as long as they find something that suits them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

It has proven to be ineffective because people are looking for a quick fix, and don't have the willpower to stay with what works like I and others have done.

Totally right and people seem to think that they can get back to their old habits / diet. The moment I go back to all the processed food and sweets i gain weight. Its that simple. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

lol ok man over and out. I don't need any willpower to do what I am doing. I need to say again: "BUT in the last ten months I have lost 15kg WITHOUT trying, without dieting or exercising, and I am not hungry and I'm not eating any special foods, and I have no health problems and nothing wrong with me, I don't take any medications at all, didn't get my stomach tied, and I am finally confident that I can reach my weight target for the first time in my life. I eat pretty much whatever I want. You see? It's actually NOTHING to do with diet and exercise. I finally figured out the problem in my body and I fixed it. "

• Confused 2

Just now, NotYourBusiness said:

lol ok man over and out. I don't need any willpower to do what I am doing. I need to say again: "BUT in the last ten months I have lost 15kg WITHOUT trying, without dieting or exercising, and I am not hungry and I'm not eating any special foods, and I have no health problems and nothing wrong with me, I don't take any medications at all, didn't get my stomach tied, and I am finally confident that I can reach my weight target for the first time in my life. I eat pretty much whatever I want. You see? It's actually NOTHING to do with diet and exercise. I finally figured out the problem in my body and I fixed it. "

And I was asking what you fixed, that's all.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes but its their choice.. I only mind people like NotYourBusiness who tell me that things are impossible. Lost 25 kilo, there are many others who did the same and kept it off. By saying its genetics and so on he demeans the effort people put into stuff and the dedication of lifestyle changes. 

Almost everyone can lose weight as long as they find something that suits them. 

Please show me WHERE did I say it is genetics? I never said that anywhere. I never said things are impossible. I am doing it, it's NOT impossible. Just very difficult doing the things you are telling everyone to do. I am doing NONE of those things.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I don't either. But what I mind is fat friends dying a decade or so early and just leaving me with memories.

My brother died a year ago at 66 from a heart attack brought on by diabetes. He was always in good shape until the last 20 years or so when he got more sedentary then developed diabetes. he at first took oral medicine and his doctor suggested him losing weight. he tried a bit but never got around to it permanently. Then he had to go on insulin shots, as the oral couldn't control it anymore. Still didn't lose weight. He always had very low blood pressure like i and everyone else in our family did. He started getting heart problems and had to go on heart medicine. He came home from work (was retired but part time driver0 fell on the floor and died. I know what you mean.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Please show me WHERE did I say it is genetics? I never said that anywhere. I never said things are impossible. I am doing it, it's NOT impossible. Just very difficult doing the things you are telling everyone to do. I am doing NONE of those things.

I can bet that you changed what you were eating. You seem to misunderstand what diet means. Does not necessarily means eating less or being hungry. 

Eating bad food can mean you eat a lot and still be hungry while eating the right food (usually not processed food) can fill you up with less (in caloric values). 

Just now, fredwiggy said:

My brother died a year ago at 66 from a heart attack brought on by diabetes. He was always in good shape until the last 20 years or so when he got more sedentary then developed diabetes. he at first took oral medicine and his doctor suggested him losing weight. he tried a bit but never got around to it permanently. Then he had to go on insulin shots, as the oral couldn't control it anymore. Still didn't lose weight. He always had very low blood pressure like i and everyone else in our family did. He started getting heart problems and had to go on heart medicine. He came home from work (was retired but part time driver0 fell on the floor and died. I know what you mean.

My brother was always skinny as a reed.. you did not need to x-ray him you could hold a candle behind him and see his bones (almost). But as he aged he started eating bad food as he would not gain weight.. became a diabetic.. gained weight. now he cant eat what he want anymore and takes oral medicine and is often complaining his life is no longer fun.

Thankfully he is still alive. 

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Do you remember Desiree Washington and Mike Tyson. Desiree agreed to go out on a date with Mike Tyson immediately, and I doubt that was because of the good looks.

If you say no to Iron Mike, he will [deleted] you until you love him anyway.  No choice but to say: yes, Mike, I would like that. 

22 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

If you say no to Iron Mike, he will [deleted] you until you love him anyway.  No choice but to say: yes, Mike, I would like that. 

Yah, if your'e a guy. Different rules apply for women. If she didn't want to go on a date she could have said 'no', nothing would have happened to her, I'm pretty sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Worked for me, I was nearly 100Kg (mid 50s), now I float at around 76Kg (mid 60s). been around that weight for 7 years now. At the start of COVID I didn't exercise for a month, got up to 80Kg, so the last 2 months cycled 20Km nearly every day, 10Km in the morning, another 10Km in the evening. Back at 76Kg.

Always eat the same, costs me 1hr. 10 mins. of my day.

What do you eat? 

Oat porridge or toast for breakfast and then?

On 6/23/2020 at 5:42 PM, fredwiggy said:

Trust me, Stallone isn't near as strong now as he was when he was 35. No one can keep their strength up that long. Be lean yes. Stallone didn't work out with heavy weights but moderate and followed a good diet, which included HGH and supposedly Winstrol.

Maybe should check out the video above, tells what he used to lift and how strong he was and what he lifts now.

11 hours ago, Zikomat said:

Junk food is a powerful drug. People eat it for fun. It is a much more complicated issue than many would like to believe.

Of course i believe you if it was up to me id consume junk food alone and tons of ice cream and i would drink sweet drinks all day. I prefer it over what I eat now taste wise. I have just made the change and I know what is good and bad. 

Yes it takes determination and it takes some fun out things but again its a choice you make. Be fat and eat what you want or be lean and eat healthy. 

After having cut things out it gets easier but for a while its quite hard. The thing is you cannot go back to your old eating pattern as that is what got you fat.

That is the problem what many people have they want to get rid of fat and then eat like they ate before.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robblok said:

I can bet that you changed what you were eating. You seem to misunderstand what diet means. Does not necessarily means eating less or being hungry. 

Eating bad food can mean you eat a lot and still be hungry while eating the right food (usually not processed food) can fill you up with less (in caloric values). 

Sorry, NOPE, still eating exactly the same foods. I just had TWO doughnuts less than five minutes ago.

• Confused 1

I find it quite demeaning of the people who keep saying diet and exercise don't work because it works for a lot of us and we put effort in it. Its like saying yea but your lucky its your genes has nothing to do with your effort.

I find that people have the right to be fat, ingest or drink the drugs they want but just don't moan that you can't get rid of fat. People want it all. I do too but that is just not possible.

During corvid i got fatter too, mainly because of an injury that made it hard to train. Then diet went to hell. Now its going away again. Why.. diet and exercise (mainly diet) exercise just helps me to look and feel better. 

But it takes effort, during corvid i ate a lot of <deleted> fast food and stuff like cheescakes drank loads of sweet stuff. I must say it tasted better then what I eat now. Though the difference is it took far more to fill up and be satisfied. 

The transition to eating good again was a bit hard but now its ok again and I don't really crave for the stuff I ate then. But it takes planning and thinking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I find it quite demeaning of the people who keep saying diet and exercise don't work because it works for a lot of us and we put effort in it. Its like saying yea but your lucky its your genes has nothing to do with your effort.

I find that people have the right to be fat, ingest or drink the drugs they want but just don't moan that you can't get rid of fat. People want it all. I do too but that is just not possible.

During corvid i got fatter too, mainly because of an injury that made it hard to train. Then diet went to hell. Now its going away again. Why.. diet and exercise (mainly diet) exercise just helps me to look and feel better. 

But it takes effort, during corvid i ate a lot of <deleted> fast food and stuff like cheescakes drank loads of sweet stuff. I must say it tasted better then what I eat now. Though the difference is it took far more to fill up and be satisfied. 

The transition to eating good again was a bit hard but now its ok again and I don't really crave for the stuff I ate then. But it takes planning and thinking.

Ok but I NEVER mentioned genes. Please stop discussing GENES. I NEVER MENTIONED GENES. What will happen when you can no longer do your daily exercise? See? I am looking for a solution that works WITHOUT diet and exercise. And I found it. It exists. You just need to open your minds and look for it. I already posted enough information. And then ADD exercise on top of that and feel even better. It exists.

• Confused 1