SURVEY: Do you agree with the gov’t plan for the return of expats?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you agree with the gov’t plan for the return of expats?  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As the government mulls plans for the return of tourists, they are planning on allowing some business travelers, those with work permits, teachers and international school students.   Which of the options best best describes your opinion on the issue?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

For further reading:  

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1169054-some-business-travel-to-thailand-may-resume-next-month-official-says/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1169170-tourists-banned-from-first-wave-of-‘travel-bubbles’-says-anutin/

3 hours ago, phartley58 said:

Too many hoops to jump through. I think the 800k in the bank should be taken into account for the non O holders instead of this $100,000 insurance. 

How could it be? And only a small number of expats use the 400/800k in bank.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

How could it be? And only a small number of expats use the 400/800k in bank.

When I wanted to come and stay in Thailand about 14 years ago and was told I would need 400.000 or 800,000 Bt in my bank account, although I could easily afford it, I would not have stayed, and just went somewhere else.

Edited by possum1931

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

It is basically a non event what we feel, as they will do what they think is best for the

Thai people's health

What you mean is they will do what they think is best for themselves.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, itsallmine68 said:

A) How many is a small number of expats use the 400/800k in the bank?

B) where is information of such available to the general public?

Don't think there is any page with all these data. But some embassies publishes yearly statistics. Mine (France) shows that majority of expats are on Work Permit. The 400/800k method is for married/retirees only; about 1/3 of French expats. Not many expats must use this money-in-the bank method if they are not from USA/UK/AU, as the embassy letter method is usually a lot easier, and even those from USA/UK/AU may prefer the monthly-transfer method as many don't like the idea of a "big" amount of money blocked in a Thai bank. All that make me think than only a small part of expats may use the 400/800k method... :unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When I wanted to come and stay in Thailand about 14 years ago and was told I would need 400.000 or 800,000 Bt in my bank account, although I could easily afford it, I would not have stayed, and just went somewhere else.

I had the money but I wouldn't show them.

And where was the other place you chose to go possum1931, when you didn't want to show them that you could afforded to live here ----- as after nearly 23 thousand posts about Thailand...most people probably assume you are here.....:w00t:

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Clearly not - because shutting down the country will have far greater long term impact on the Health of the Nation than the 58 reported Covid-19 deaths - Think loss of jobs, increase in crime, suicides.... 

An illogical and unfair comparison.

The correct hindsight comparison to assess would be the cost of shutting down the country measured against the cost to the nation of the Covid deaths that would have emerged had the country not been shut down.

I have no data to make that call either

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Clearly not - because shutting down the country will have far greater long term impact on the Health of the Nation than the 58 reported Covid-19 deaths - Think loss of jobs, increase in crime, suicides.... 

An illogical and unfair comparison.

The correct hindsight comparison to assess would be the cost of shutting down the country measured against the cost to the nation of the Covid deaths that would have emerged had the country not been shut down.

I have no data to make that call either

Agreed, thats a solid counter argument. 

Unfortunately there will never be any data to support ‘what may have happened’ should Thailand not have shut down. Perhaps there would have been thousands or tens of thousands of deaths - this is a debate which will rage on for decade or more as the crippled economy recovers.

Edited by richard_smith237