Thailand had the world's first coronavirus case outside China. Here's how it avoided disaster

webfact

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

{snipped}

That's my take on it, besides I can't wait for Anutin to take his first jab when Thailand produces it's first cocktail, I mean vaccine, I hope it's a BIG one.......and it goes in his rear end !

I hadn't realised A-nut-in-government had moved from ai ferang to <deleted>?

I see Japanese Slipper is a cocktail.

(Yes, I knew it was a misprit, I couldn't resist it)

Edited by metisdead
Misspelling of jab corrected.

10 minutes ago, ehs818 said:

I think that the real reason that Thailand has not had many cases is because Thais don't hug, kiss, and shake hands. They give a Wai instead. It cuts down on contact and prevent infection in that manner. Am I wrong, or just simple minded?

I think that's one of the reasons but the no public hugs and kisses thing goes for most, if not all, of Asia so there must be additional factors.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Strange that indonesia has countless infections. That rules out climate. The hash lockdown is what saved us. 

I

I give you it is strange but the lockdowns have very little to do with it the amount of people close together at the bus stop was enough too in theory be fare greater than lompini the boxing stadium. 

But nothing happened. 

On top of this 2 month +before lockdown after 1 case in thailand. 

The question is why but all the incompetence they show off has nothing to do with it. 

I believe we had the 1 case in Dec 2019 but nobody knew about coronavirus at this stage. 

In some way it past over our heads for some reason. 

Not as coronavirus is a deadly virus you can't really say that. 

In some cases it can spread very fast and in others not at all. 

But the government has nothing to do with the luck we had with the virus it would have been enough with distance and mask and clean. 

But don't fool yourself the question still stands why. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

The simple answer is they have only done 468,175 tests @ 6,708 per 1 million population .

This in a country of just under 70 million IMO is rather pathetic .

You sould like Trump now. The testing is adequate for the number of positive cases being found. Compare that to Brazil where half of the tests are returning positive. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Deli said:

So what about Brazil ? Dark skin, hot and tropic clima, not many Chinese... but f""" to the max.

The clima cannot be the explanation. My guess is the Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand 1st of all have a huge carpet where things have been swiped under ( all of them are not transparent ), did very little testing only and have been extremely lucky. So no cases for a month, remove all restrictions if borders are closed or what is a good reason keeping them in place?

Yes the bodies are piling up at the crematoriums..didn't you see them? It's all over the news. Hospitals are full to the brim, with bidies just being thrown into trucks out the back of the hospital. You missed that too? It's all a massive coverup, especially by those nearby commie countries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I think that's one of the reasons but the no public hugs and kisses thing goes for most, if not all, of Asia so there must be additional factors.

1.2 million volunteer health officers were doing a lot of contact tracing to ensure the original clusters were reduced. 

+ early widespread use of masks/sanitisers - which continues to this day in Bangkok. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Strange that indonesia has countless infections. That rules out climate. The hash lockdown is what saved us. 

I

Yep. All the preventative actions especially sensible lockdown, and closing the borders.

They've done a good job in controlling the virus by harsh provincial lockdown measures and closing the borders. But at a huge cost to the economy and the many of country's citizens

The issue now is how good a job will they do in reopening the country, hence jump-starting the economic recovery?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

They never did antibody tests. The virus has probably been here since October, making Thailand one of the superspreader hubs thanks to it's connection to China. 

And now they try to spin it with these daily Xinhua sponsored propaganda pieces.

If so, every port of arrival from Thailand should have statistic about that!? Sholdnt they? 

Anyway, its a mystery how Thailand did not get hit harder. Lockdown isolated the virus her? I doubt it, been here, seen it, and know how it have been practiced, it is pure luck if so! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

The simple answer is they have only done 468,175 tests @ 6,708 per 1 million population .

This in a country of just under 70 million IMO is rather pathetic .

They also didn't claim people how died from a hear attack as a COVID death. People got sick and stayed at home like they usually would do when they have a cold or flu. If they wanted medicine someone went and got it, no prescription required.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You might find reading the statistics on Pneumonia cases and deaths since January interesting reading.

Apologise, I forgot to mention that, yes, If we believe the statistics, 3,000 plus, and 58 dead, 1st country outside of China with a heavy presence of Chinese in and out of Thailand at that time.

Yes, the warm humid weather and Thai's having a strong immune system due to lots of sun, e.g. vitamin D, kept the numbers down, there is no other explanation, unless you look for it, as you stated.

But Thailand — along with Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam — have all had low case numbers despite dense populations and many direct flights to China.

They had low case numbers, did they? And not a word about testing figures for those countries. Are Australian journalists really that stupid?