Trump touts convalescent plasma as a coronavirus treatment

webfact

1 minute ago, rcummings said:

You mean like in the case of the FDA approval of hydroxychlorquine that has since been retracted? Who has got egg on their faces now?

And had I claimed back then that it's false that the FDA had approved said drug for use, would that have been correct? 

:coffee1:

Just now, rcummings said:
Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Lot of egg on faces now, though I do not expect any retractions.

You mean like in the case of the FDA approval of hydroxychlorquine that has since been retracted? Who has got egg on their faces now?

And had I claimed back then that it's false that the FDA had approved said drug for use, would that have been correct? 

It's part of the MAGA narrative. They had  miracle cure; hydroxychloroquine, that is right, Trump had found a miracle. BUT Then the FDA, the Dems, the liberals, those denizens of the Deep State (woooooo)  are preventing its use.  You are amazed that people could be so dumb that they believe this fairy tale, but you would be wrong.

It serves to distracts Trumps faithful, about how he has been wrong, wrong, wrong, about virtually everything, about the wuhan virus from day one. Which is why we have a 176 K death toll and it is still rising with no end in site. What's the name of the book by the Republican guy ... "Everything Trump Touches Dies".

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Would you care to correct that? The FDA has agreed.

Why would I? The comment was a fact when I posted it. Look at the info in the news and the date and time stamp on my post.

Are you correcting your posts after the time possibility to do that have ended. If so you must have extended time given to you. You are so special. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

azar and hahn are trump appointees. If they do not obey trump then they will be fired. Hopefully no one dies or is injured during emergency use of this treatment. I assume patients, or their families have to sign off and waive any liability.

On Saturday, Trump claimed with no evidence, "The deep state, or whoever, over at the FDA is making it very difficult for drug companies to get people in order to test the vaccines and therapeutics."

Possible side effects of COVID-19 convalescent plasma include allergic reactions, transfusion-associated circulatory overload, and transfusion associated lung injury, as well as the potential for transfusion-transmitted infections.

FDA Issues Emergency Use Authorization for Convalescent Plasma as Potential Promising COVID–19 Treatment, Another Achievement in Administration’s Fight Against Pandemic

The EUA authorizes the distribution of COVID-19 convalescent plasma in the U.S. and its administration by health care providers, as appropriate, to treat suspected or laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 in hospitalized patients with COVID-19.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-issues-emergency-use-authorization-convalescent-plasma-potential-promising-covid-19-treatment

Trump announces emergency authorization for COVID-19 treatment after accusing FDA of delays

Hahn made clear the emergency use authorization was not the same as the treatment being approved by the FDA and that the treatment still needs to undergo randomized clinical trials to determine its safety and effectiveness.

"The emerging data does not suggest convalescent plasma is that great," Dr. Carlos Del Rio, an infectious disease physician at Emory University, told NBC News. "It is at best an incremental improvement but not a game changer."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-announces-emergency-authorization-new-covid-19-treatment-after-accusing-n1237795

I would suspect that it works, but that the positive effect would not be lasting.  It is very, very doubtful that it would actually stimulate a persons immune system to produce antibodies for Covid.  So, once the plasma wears off, so does the benefit.   Of course, that might be enough time to keep a patient alive for either the body to produce it's own antibodies or for other medicines to start working.   

As a treatment, it is certainly worth studying.   

2 minutes ago, Credo said:

I would suspect that it works, but that the positive effect would not be lasting.  It is very, very doubtful that it would actually stimulate a persons immune system to produce antibodies for Covid.  So, once the plasma wears off, so does the benefit.   Of course, that might be enough time to keep a patient alive for either the body to produce it's own antibodies or for other medicines to start working.   

It's definitely worth studying and protection might last a few months. Fortunately, a related but more promising therapy should soon be released. It uses monoclonal antibodies. Basically, one kind of antibody  that has found to have been very effective against covid-19 is administered to ill patients.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Would you care to correct that? The FDA has agreed.

He did leave it to the experts and it's now in use.

Lot of egg on faces now, though I do not expect any retractions.

Rightfully no retractions. At the time of writing they were right, Trump was wrong to say what he did.

As I said, I believe in this, and I'm glad it seems to have been approved now.

34 minutes ago, Credo said:

Of course, that would be prudent. And there are studies underway. But the "Deep State" is slowing things down.

However the president has his own timetable, so voila: EUA.

57% of republicans think that 170,000 (now 180,000) deaths are "acceptable losses".

23 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Why would I? The comment was a fact when I posted it. Look at the info in the news and the date and time stamp on my post.

Are you correcting your posts after the time possibility to do that have ended. If so you must have extended time given to you. You are so special. 

If I post something and things change I'll post again to say that my first post is no longer applicable. I do understand why some posters don't want to acknowledge that Trump did something that was beneficial, as it goes against the idea that everything Trump does is bad.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Trump did something that was beneficial, as it goes against the idea that everything Trump does is bad.

I guess that still remains to be seen. By the way, what has he done? What does he know in this area? he is only fed with information. Much better that he stop trying to take credit, and let educated people with expertise in the are present the news.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, stevenl said:

Rightfully no retractions. At the time of writing they were right, Trump was wrong to say what he did.

As I said, I believe in this, and I'm glad it seems to have been approved now.

So you agree that something Trump approved may be of help to many people? According to what I understand, it may save up to 30 or 35% of cases if given soon enough.

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

I guess that still remains to be seen. By the way, what has he done? What does he know in this area? he is only fed with information. Much better that he stop trying to take credit, and let educated people with expertise in the are present the news.

Who started Operation Warp Speed which developed the treatment?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Trump did like every president or head of state are there to do. He had a meeting with his ministers and chose a team of the best virologists in the country.

After that he attended every meeting, and listened to what they had to say. At the end he present it, truly fooling you and take all the credit for it.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Convalescent Plasma treatment is not a new treatment and it was not developed by Operation Warp Speed.   It has been used in the past to treat viruses.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They didnt develop the treatment, Its been used for years and in Europe, as a last resort treatment for covid, since April.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

They didnt develop the treatment, Its been used for years and in Europe, as a last resort treatment for covid, since April.

I'm well aware as they went to great lengths to point that out. Given that Trump ordered red tape cut to speed up development of treatments it might be years before it was approved for corona under normal procedures.

Apparently it's not already an "approved" procedure in the US.

BTW it's been used over 100 years.

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So you agree that something Trump approved may be of help to many people? According to what I understand, it may save up to 30 or 35% of cases if given soon enough.

Trump doesn't have anything to approve, FDA approves.

I have been saying since long that I believe in plasma therapies, long, long before the hydrochloroquine push by Trump.

He should stay out of pushing medicine like a snake oil salesman.

Edited by stevenl
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I post something and things change I'll post again to say that my first post is no longer applicable. I do understand why some posters don't want to acknowledge that Trump did something that was beneficial, as it goes against the idea that everything Trump does is bad.

"If I post something and things change I'll post again to say that my first post is no longer applicable."

Pull the other one. You do not go back and correct posts you've made days ago. At the very least, not often. And that's no due to lack of incorrect, misleading or uninformed content. It's not even all that often you own up to such things anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd be interested to know where this understanding comes from. As far as I can tell, a lot of the commentary and assessments on offer are more cautious than that.

• Like 1

Well 6 months ago the Washington Post touted plasma as a very promising treatment, after Trump mentioned it they ridicule it. Hydroxychloroquine has been around for decades, and it seems that poorer countries that used it have lower death rates than the West. The Lancet hatchet job was retracted as proven a fake.

I don't personally want any of them, but you can't help but suspect that anything except a vaccine gets ridiculed by the media. Even though there currently is no safe vaccine.

I suppose we will all reach our own conclusions as to why that would be.

4 hours ago, Jack100 said:

Nah think I'll carry on with the bleach !

Apparently a warning has been issued after in North Texas 46 people used drank bleach this month to cure their covid infection.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/texas-poison-officials-again-warning-people-not-to-drink-bleach/287-e14f85eb-1878-4565-8b02-571e458d717f

Edited by stevenl

6 hours ago, Rancid said:

Well 6 months ago the Washington Post touted plasma as a very promising treatment, after Trump mentioned it they ridicule it. Hydroxychloroquine has been around for decades, and it seems that poorer countries that used it have lower death rates than the West. The Lancet hatchet job was retracted as proven a fake.

I don't personally want any of them, but you can't help but suspect that anything except a vaccine gets ridiculed by the media. Even though there currently is no safe vaccine.

I suppose we will all reach our own conclusions as to why that would be.

First off, there were high hopes for plasma. But they were hopes. And no one is ridiculing plasma. They are ridiculing Trump for lying about its level of efficacy.. It does seem to hold some promise, particularly with samples that have a high level of the apppropriate anti-bodies. And that has been repeatedly reported.

• Like 1