Student runs to her death in Phuket university disaster

webfact

Student runs to her death in Phuket university disaster

By The Nation

800_337f79db8a04346.jpg?v=1597992136

A university freshman in Phuket lost her life after reportedly being forced to run until she could take no more on Thursday (August 20). It is believed the incident was related to hazing.

However, Phuket Rajabhat University insists it was cheerleading practice, though it has promised to look into allegations that the student was forced to run until she went into seizures.

The university has also given Phornphiphat Eaddam’s family Bt100,000 in compensation.

In an earlier Facebook post, the family said they prayed in vain that the treatment tendered at Vachira Phuket Hospital’s ICU would help save her.

The family, which has won support from Thai netizens, is considering the option of filing a police report.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393316

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-21

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It sounds unlikely, there must have been an underlying medical condition.

You can't run until you die without having some sort of heart defect.

exactly so, you collapse from exhaustion but you don't die. Its a built in safety mechanism. 

• Like 1

Just now, madmitch said:

Would that stop you pursuing this case if it were you daughter? Don't think so. Heart defect or not, contributory negligence would come into play here.

Would point out ALL the Chiang Mai universities force their new students to run 11Km up the mountain from the zoo to Wat Doi Suthep every year as part of 'Freshers week'. My daughter did it her first week in Chiang Mai Rajabhat University a while back.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It sounds unlikely, there must have been an underlying medical condition.

You can't run until you die without having some sort of heart defect.

I'm with you on that one. I had a young woman working for me back in the states. Looked healthy, ran everyday. One day she was found on the side of the road. She didn't die but found out she had a heart condition. She now has a pacemaker.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, anterian said:

exactly so, you collapse from exhaustion but you don't die. Its a built in safety mechanism. 

Unfortunately not correct with Heat Stroke. Your core temperature is raise dto dangerously high levels causing brain damage (seizures) and organ damage which can often be fatal without rapid cooling and medical attention.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, jasperno said:

You need to google Heat Stroke.

Yes you can run until you die - literally having cooked your brain and internal organs (hence the mention of seizures - no heart defect required).

And She would have most probably stopped running if she was in considerable discomfort (unless she was being forced to run ) . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Here's your daughter's corpse and a 100k about sums up any kind of safety or culpability here just sickening???? Rip

I presume she was around 18 yrs old and agreed to run of her own volition, if she was at the uni she was presumably intelligent and capable of making her own decisions. I heard that hazing was banned so the student organizers should be held criminally responsible and thrown out of the uni.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

I presume she was around 18 yrs old and agreed to run of her own volition, if she was at the uni she was presumably intelligent and capable of making her own decisions. I heard that hazing was banned so the student organizers should be held criminally responsible and thrown out of the uni.

Chucked out the University !!!!!!!

They need to be in Court on Manslaughter charges 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't wish to be callous, but the girl could have simply refused to keep running if she was in distress. But then, of course, she would have lost face and that just can't be allowed to happen in Thai society and so she risked her life going beyond what she was capable of. A terrible and totally pointless waste of a life.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

The system here is, surprisingly, apparently not operating in the same manner as the system in the UK  In the UK all sudden and unexpected deaths have to be reported to the Coroner, an appointed individual who works for the public, not for the police, the army or the current Government. In these circumstances he would have his own officers conduct an inquiry and when they had all the facts a Coroner's Court would be held, which normally has a jury composed of members of the general public.

The Court then decides if any charges are applicable as to the cause of death e.g. Natural causes, misadventure, accidental, murder or manslaughter. The Police have to respond to this verdict and continue their investigations where the Court has recorded a verdict where individuals could be found responsible for the death.

The young lady who died and her family deserve that type of JUSTICE.

My condolences to the her family and friends.

Instead, here's 100,000 Baht. Case closed.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The family, which has won support from Thai netizens, is considering the option of filing a police report.

What is there to consider? Sue the university and all the students involved in hazing. It may be a small piece of the process to abandon this stupid tradition of freshmen humiliation all over the World.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out ALL the Chiang Mai universities force their new students to run 11Km up the mountain from the zoo to Wat Doi Suthep every year as part of 'Freshers week'. My daughter did it her first week in Chiang Mai Rajabhat University a while back.

Actually a quite large percentage walk.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The university has also given Phornphiphat Eaddam’s family Bt100,000 in compensation.

An obvious admission of guilt and a pay-off to keep things quiet.

I hope the family pursue this as a manslaughter case, and police do the right thing by her.