Do you use Grab food

Fairynuff

I never really thought about food delivery until yesterday when I wanted some Indian food. So I looked at Grab Food. I already know the menu from this restaurant and realised quickly that the Grab menu was about 30% higher. The difference in price amounted to 180 baht plus 30 baht delivery. So instead I used Grab Express, same result but menu price and 65 baht delivery.

I wrongly assumed that Grab Food was just about delivery, but with a 25-30% surcharge it’s a different ball game.

Restaurants vary a lot on their surcharge if any on the various delivery apps.

It pays to shop around. 

I think in general the menu prices on Lineman are the same as the restaurants. For most places they do charge delivery fee but some places free so a free or discounted delivery from Lineman is usually the best deal possible. 

Also recommend Hungry Now. Always free delivery and generally prices same as restaurants or close. 

Some apps you might want to use for specific restaurants they offer that others don't. Such as Food Panda app. 

Also not to be sneezed at id that all of the apps offer some sorts of promotion schemes. Sometimes they're quite good. Though in the case of Lineman their promotions are only about discounted delivery. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I wrongly assumed that Grab Food was just about delivery, but with a 25-30% surcharge it’s a different ball game.

Where in Thailand are you located?

In Bangkok, we use Line and Grab ALL THE TIME. In maybe ~ 200 deliveries since March, very satisfied. 

When you factor in the cost to travel to a restaurant (motorcy, bts, taxi, etc.) any uplift or delivery fee is easily eclipsed, especially with more than one person.

In my small neigborhood I see ~ 20 food deliveries (Grab/Line) per day. Step into any mall ~ 11:00 and you'll see more Grab drivers than customers.

That said, if it hurts, don't do it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

In Bangkok, we use Line and Grab ALL THE TIME. In maybe ~ 200 deliveries since March, very satisfied. 

When you factor in the cost to travel to a restaurant (motorcy, bts, taxi, etc.) any uplift or delivery fee is easily eclipsed, especially with more than one person.

In my small neigborhood I see ~ 20 food deliveries (Grab/Line) per day. Step into any mall ~ 11:00 and you'll see more Grab drivers than customers.

Used to use Grab Food but the menus nowadays seem to be in Thai only (I've tried updating my language/regional settings on my iphone per their help article, still the same) is it the same for you?

E.G. if you were to check out the menu at the Black Swan would you see this (will edit this post & insert a pic from my phone)... 

FDF7A248-1E01-425C-B3C2-EE50F44949E9.png

576D428D-6EEC-4E42-9D23-BCC9CBA491C0.png

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah. Some good promos.

Swensons, buy one get one free is a gut-buster - packed in dry-ice.

Again is it just me (& my mate, both IPhone users) that can only get the menus in Thai...

745E4772-7DC9-4FFB-8C1E-B3AB9CB299CC.png

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I’m in BKK. The restaurant is about a 30 min walk or a 50 baht taxi ride. My issue is the premium of around 25-30% which I assumed went to Grab not the restaurant. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Grab and Foodpanda take about 30% of the bill, while to me it looks like that on Grab you pay the delivery fee on top, and with Foodpanda the delivery guy is paid from the 30%. So many restaurants charge more on the delivery services than they do if you dine in, or if you dine in you might get bigger servings.

I just don't really understand how this works if ordering for example just one 50THB item on Foodpanda. The restaurant gets 35THB, and 15THB are left for Foodpanda and the rider. I suspect in this case Foodpanda doesn't make any money?

I don't use anything with the word "grab" in the name or description, as this word itself sounds disgusting, a ghetto slang.

"yo <n-word> grab your beer an bring ya <buttocks> here"

"grab your discount" omgwtf, I'd better pay more in the next shop.

Edited by fdsa
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 8/24/2020 at 9:11 AM, Fairynuff said:

I never really thought about food delivery until yesterday when I wanted some Indian food. So I looked at Grab Food. I already know the menu from this restaurant and realised quickly that the Grab menu was about 30% higher. The difference in price amounted to 180 baht plus 30 baht delivery. So instead I used Grab Express, same result but menu price and 65 baht delivery.

Normally, I see 5-10 baht difference per item on GrabFood and Foodpanda. If the restaurant is surcharging 30%, then they're violating terms of service.

btw, I'm curious - did you have to call the restaurant beforehand and order over the phone, so they deliver via GrabExpress? I always see coupons for this service, but never use it.

29 minutes ago, Jackie66 said:

Depends on the restaurant. Some only Thai some both Thai/English.

It would be crazy of the Black Swan not to have an English Menu as they must be losing customers (Certainly they've lost me & my mate since things changed) & I would have thought Swensons would have an English Menu.

I know Black Swan used to have an English Menu (& all of the other restaurants I ordered from on Grab), so I can only think something happened as part of an Update or when I've changed a setting somewhere to say I'd moved from Singapore to Bangkok.

Quick search of the Internet shows a lot of people having this problem, some seem to have solved it by changing the language settings on their phone but no such luck for me...  I have tried tweaking all of the setting on my phone including using my other AppleID so my Appstore is in the UK & reinstalled the app... No joy... I guess the only other thing I could try is to use a VPN to say I'm in the UK to see if that changed things but TBH I've got used to using FoodPanda now so their loss....

Will have to try LineMan though, I see a lot of their riders delivering to my Condo).

18 minutes ago, redpill17 said:

Normally, I see 5-10 baht difference per item on GrabFood and Foodpanda. If the restaurant is surcharging 30%, then they're violating terms of service.

btw, I'm curious - did you have to call the restaurant beforehand and order over the phone, so they deliver via GrabExpress? I always see coupons for this service, but never use it.

No they don't violate anything. Grab and foodpanda takes around 20-30%. (One is 20 the other 30)

25 minutes ago, Bigz said:

No they don't violate anything. Grab and foodpanda takes around 20-30%. (One is 20 the other 30)

You're right about the first thing, at least for Foodpanda:

"We encourage restaurants to use the same prices for delivery as they do for their dine-in menu, although there may be exceptions."

Couldn't find this for Grab.

Regarding percentage, as of now Foodpanda is charging 32% and Grab takes 30%.

I like Foodpanda more, because they communicate with the restaurant. With GrabFood, you have to wait till the driver arrives to the restaurant to place order, and drivers often cancel themselves, wasting my time.

Also, GrabFood often lacks pictures and English translation. It's usable in Bangkok, but everywhere else is a joke.

• Like 1

Our local food shop does a somtam without the fish sauce (toxic waste) for 30 baht. 

Some of the prices quoted in these posts are ridiculous. 200 baht for a take away. More money than sense; some people.

I see another on the scene; Flash. Black and yellow bags. So that's Flash, Panda and Grab.

3 hours ago, fdsa said:

I don't use anything with the word "grab" in the name or description, as this word itself sounds disgusting, a ghetto slang.

"yo <n-word> grab your beer an bring ya <buttocks> here"

"grab your discount" omgwtf, I'd better pay more in the next shop.

You've never grabbed a Granny at the end of a night?

• Sad 1

Personally I will never use GRAB.  Reason - I am partially handicapped and when I drive to a TESCO or similar store I find every handicap parking space occupied by GRAB motorbikes with operators just sitting around talking.  Store managers say they can do nothing.  Maybe GRAB managers could provide some appropriate guidance like stay out of handicap parking spots or find a new job!

2 hours ago, redpill17 said:

Yes, called in my order and paid using prompt pay, then booked the Grab Express and used a promo code 

• Thanks 1