Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, need some help here.

Can I put the rear tyres for a 250 on the 150 without having to change the rim? Or any other major work done to the swing arm, etc.

Would switching out the original shifter and rear brakes with 'custom' ones make any difference to the comfort level (apparently it moves the control back some more), I've been told that it would be better for my, I'm 180cm so a little tall. (PLEASE do not suggest getting a bigger bike, I mostly use it around town and around the super highway in CM.)

On that nite any one in CM knows a place to find mod parts?,

Edited by mic6ard

Can I put the rear tyres for a 250 on the 150 without having to change the rim? Or any other major work done to the swing arm, etc.

Would switching out the original shifter and rear brakes with 'custom' ones make any difference to the comfort level (apparently it moves the control back some more), I've been told that it would be better for my, I'm 180cm so a little tall. (PLEASE do not suggest getting a bigger bike, I mostly use it around town and around the super highway in CM.)

are talking about the old or new CBR150?

If it is the old carbie one the biggest tyre you can put on the rear is 120, but a 110 would sit better on the rim. IMO the Michelin Pilot Sporty 90/80 front and 100/80 is the best set up for the old style 150, anything bigger and the bike starts to 'track'. Plenty of rear sets available for the carbie version to adjusts the pegs and pedals to suit you, some better quality than others.

Edited by taichiplanet

are talking about the old or new CBR150?

If it is the old carbie one the biggest tyre you can put on the rear is 120, but a 110 would sit better on the rim. IMO the Michelin Pilot Sporty 90/80 front and 100/80 is the best set up for the old style 150, anything bigger and the bike starts to 'track'. Plenty of rear sets available for the carbie version to adjusts the pegs and pedals to suit you, some better quality than others.

I just put a 110 on the rear of the old style CBR150 and it as big as I would want to go. The rake is a little steep now with the 90/80 up front so am going to try a 100/80 up front to see how that will work. I just hope it fits okay. BTW, I am 187 cm tall and find the little bike comfortable.

I wouldn't get rear sets in place of the pegs, you'll be even more uncomfortable. Your feet will be higher up and your knees will be even more bent. If you get custom sets made to lower the foot pegs, you'll face the danger of scraping the ground on hard turns. I think the best solution for someone tall would be to add foam to the seat to raise the seating position. I'd also adjust the rear shock to a stiffer compression, if your bike is the black framed model it is adjustable.

If you hit the curves pretty fast however, rearsets help to avoid scraping the ground with the OEM footrest, especially up Doi Suthep.

When you go to tire size 120 you'll start to lose power, id stick with 90 front 110 rear. I had a100 front 120 rear at one time and it did indeed have a mind of its own.

I just put a 110 on the rear of the old style CBR150 and it as big as I would want to go. The rake is a little steep now with the 90/80 up front so am going to try a 100/80 up front to see how that will work. I just hope it fits okay. BTW, I am 187 cm tall and find the little bike comfortable.

When i put 100 on the front of my old bike, i had to remove the barrels where the fender mounting screws were to make clearance. These were IRC's.

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if the motor mounts are the same for the 2011 CBR150R and the older model 2009 CBR125R (FI)? It has been suggested to me on other forums that the mounts are the same, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I am considering purchasing a used 2011 CBR150R from a Thai dealership and having it shipped (crated) to Canada so I can swap the engine into my 2009 CBR125R. Unfortunately, the CBR150R isn't sold here in Canada. I sent an e-mail to Brian at Sumetcycles but haven't heard back from him yet. And I suspect if this is logistically possible, the shipping costs would be exorbitant. But I think it will completely transform the CBR125R. If this isn't possible, I will continue to follow-up on a camshaft mod for the CBR125R. I had the camshaft replaced with a racing cam last year, however it didn't take. Here is a 5-page 3200km camping trip report I completed on the CBR125R that includes a description of my camshaft mod towards the tail end of the trip.

3200KM Ontario Camping Trip on a CBR125R

Mine was the only one of about 5 bikes that received the mod and didn't respond correctly to the change. I now suspect that it may be a fueling problem related to the fuel pump (low fuel pressure?) as all attempts to increase fuel (e.g., Powercommander V map changes) produce absolutely no change in the way the bike responds.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I just wanted to take some time to thank everyone for their input and assistance. The issue outlined above has been solved. There was a throttle body problem with my old CBR125R.

Some background information. I ended up purchasing a 2011 CBR150R engine from a bike Tyga Motorsports had been using to develop their exhaust system for. I must say that Tyga were absolutely fantastic to deal with. Once the engine arrived here in Canada, I had a local dealer complete the swap into my 2009 CBR125R frame. They swapped everything over except for the radiator and........the throttle body. They just used the original throttle body from the CBR125R. Interestingly, when I then test rode the now swapped CBR150R, the bike still ran poorly (idled roughly, wouldn't respond immediately to throttle inputs, revved slowly) like my old CBR125R. I asked them to swap in the new throttle body from the CBR150R and once this was completed, the bike ran great again. So it may have been a bad injector that was causing the fueling problems with my old CBR125R with the racing cam mod.

I am loving this bike. I am even spending more time on it than my CBR250R. One question I do have is this: I now have a EJK (Dobeck) fuel controller for the CBR150R. It is the same fuel controller used for the CBR125R. Now that I have it installed, I am looking for some dyno plots or related information and fuel controller settings for the CBR150R. Anyone know of any 2011 CBR150Rs that have been dynoed? Anyone have a fuel controller for their CBR150R?

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if the motor mounts are the same for the 2011 CBR150R and the older model 2009 CBR125R (FI)? It has been suggested to me on other forums that the mounts are the same, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I am considering purchasing a used 2011 CBR150R from a Thai dealership and having it shipped (crated) to Canada so I can swap the engine into my 2009 CBR125R. Unfortunately, the CBR150R isn't sold here in Canada. I sent an e-mail to Brian at Sumetcycles but haven't heard back from him yet. And I suspect if this is logistically possible, the shipping costs would be exorbitant. But I think it will completely transform the CBR125R. If this isn't possible, I will continue to follow-up on a camshaft mod for the CBR125R. I had the camshaft replaced with a racing cam last year, however it didn't take. Here is a 5-page 3200km camping trip report I completed on the CBR125R that includes a description of my camshaft mod towards the tail end of the trip.

3200KM Ontario Camping Trip on a CBR125R

Mine was the only one of about 5 bikes that received the mod and didn't respond correctly to the change. I now suspect that it may be a fueling problem related to the fuel pump (low fuel pressure?) as all attempts to increase fuel (e.g., Powercommander V map changes) produce absolutely no change in the way the bike responds.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I just wanted to take some time to thank everyone for their input and assistance. The issue outlined above has been solved. There was a throttle body problem with my old CBR125R.

Some background information. I ended up purchasing a 2011 CBR150R engine from a bike Tyga Motorsports had been using to develop their exhaust system for. I must say that Tyga were absolutely fantastic to deal with. Once the engine arrived here in Canada, I had a local dealer complete the swap into my 2009 CBR125R frame. They swapped everything over except for the radiator and........the throttle body. They just used the original throttle body from the CBR125R. Interestingly, when I then test rode the now swapped CBR150R, the bike still ran poorly (idled roughly, wouldn't respond immediately to throttle inputs, revved slowly) like my old CBR125R. I asked them to swap in the new throttle body from the CBR150R and once this was completed, the bike ran great again. So it may have been a bad injector that was causing the fueling problems with my old CBR125R with the racing cam mod.

I am loving this bike. I am even spending more time on it than my CBR250R. One question I do have is this: I now have a EJK (Dobeck) fuel controller for the CBR150R. It is the same fuel controller used for the CBR125R. Now that I have it installed, I am looking for some dyno plots or related information and fuel controller settings for the CBR150R. Anyone know of any 2011 CBR150Rs that have been dynoed? Anyone have a fuel controller for their CBR150R?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for sharing your experience. Good to hear you got it sorted after all the trouble you went to. Great that you are enjoying the 150i, i think it is much under-rated bike having been overshadowed by the 250. Can't help you with the fuel controller or Dyno; a page or 2 back hehehoho asked about a dyno chart but got no responses either.

I'd be happy to get mine dyno-d but don't know of any places where i live (Pattaya). Maybe someone in Bkk (once all the Blue Whales have made their way to the sea) can get it done at API-Tech or maybe API-Tech might do one themselves when they have sorted an ECM/ECU out.

I order a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso II from Charlie (Competizioni Moto) a few months ago and got a call from her on Thursday saying they had just had a shipment come in. So if any wants a set for their 150 or 250 now is a good time to grab a set of Diablo Rosso II or Sport Demons without having to wait.

My tyres are being delivered today, but won't be able to get them fitted yet as i'll be away for a couple of weeks. The Diablo II may be a little wasted putting on the 150 but for a couple extra thousand baht over the Sport Demon i am happy to try them out. But then again, if they give even a slightly extra grip over the Sport Demons it is worth it for me.

Charlie's number is 089 003 8886 (she also posted info on the TV CBR250 forum)

Edited by taichiplanet

Went to the Honda Center at Mahidol Rd. last weekend for the regular service.

Decided to finally get those rim-stickers, asked for red ones but they didn't have any and tole me if I would want to place an order instead.

They were down to the last pair of silver ones as well. Got the silver ones for 150 baht a pair (300baht for both wheels).

Bought the first pair at the shop's office, had to go the display room to buy the second pair.

The silver ones I think match the black bike perfectly anyway.:)

post-118861-0-92034900-1321939661_thumb. post-118861-0-61499500-1321939676_thumb.

There was a black windscreen on display at the office (not the touring-type), I guess it was for the CBR250, not sure if it fits the CBR150. I saw a few decent second-hand CBRs and Phantoms up for sale as well.

Rim tape looks good! Here is what my rims have been sporting lately...... As KRS1 says on another thread, it's been great riding weather in the North but I did end up catching the very last rain storm.

Nice. Amazing how the rest of the bike stays spic and span while the the rims are all caked in mud...:)

Rim tape looks good! Here is what my rims have been sporting lately...... As KRS1 says on another thread, it's been great riding weather in the North but I did end up catching the very last rain storm.

Nice. Amazing how the rest of the bike stays spic and span while the the rims are all caked in mud...:)

Yep. It caked up so bad I had to stop and dig out out from the fender.

An hehe... 60,000 baht is a bit crazy. A buddy and I bought twin sisters for 35K and 37K with only 5000 km on the odometer. Granted that was a 5 years ago but the bikes were near new.

Yep. It caked up so bad I had to stop and dig out out from the fender.

An hehe... 60,000 baht is a bit crazy. A buddy and I bought twin sisters for 35K and 37K with only 5000 km on the odometer. Granted that was a 5 years ago but the bikes were near new.

Yes, I think that price is a bit steep too. The 2009 model had an SRP of 68K. I saw a blue one and a black one last Saturday at the service center, along with an all-white CBR250.

Old carbed-model would probably be around 30K-40K, even lower.

Edited by RED21

Had a Thai guy look at mine the other day. Asked me how much, including matching helmet. I told him 68k. I've got the black touring windscreen, added wheel tape, and swapped out the black end pieces on the handle bars for the chrome one. You would have thought I had called him some name when I said 68k. He got all indignant and said he could buy one for 60k! My somewhat ornery-at-times Thai wife smiled and asked him why he hadn't done that yet? End of conversation.

:cheesy:

An unsuccessful attempt at haggling. Last time I checked a brand new one was now around 80K.

My Thai friend who owns a red one recently bought an invoice-only Honda Steed but sold it 2 weeks after to a soldier in Mae Rim. When the soldier came to pick up the Steed he saw the CBR and asked if my friend was willing to sell it too. My friend said he didn't want to because he enjoyed riding the CBR a lot more than riding the Steed.

Someone at salemocyc.com is selling a red Fi version for 69K all stock except for a Thai made aftermarket exhaust (which doesn't look solidly built, BTW).

Edited by RED21

Hey, I have been going to the little shops for services and other bits and bobs which needed doing on my CBR. I don't think he has been doing a good job and has been "Bodging" most of it. Do most CBR owners only go to Honda? If so, how much is it for a standard service and what Honda garage would you recommend?

Located In Chiang Mai.

Edited by richardpwills

Hey, I have been going to the little shops for services and other bits and bobs which needed doing on my CBR. I don't think he has been doing a good job and has been "Bodging" most of it. Do most CBR owners only go to Honda? If so, how much is it for a standard service and what Honda garage would you recommend?

Hummm, might help if we know where you're at. Personally, I go strictly to Honda for service & maint. I usually go to the dealer at Niyom Panich here in CM, but others go to the dealer on Huey Kaew Road. Personal preferences. Only way I'm gonna let some "Somchi" work on mine is if it breaks down and I'm a long way from a Honda dealership. And then only enough to get me to Honda.

Aftermarket ad-ons is one thing - shops are usually cheaper than Honda, but for service & maint - Honda only

Edited by Just1Voice

Hummm, might help if we know where you're at. Personally, I go strictly to Honda for service & maint. I usually go to the dealer at Niyom Panich here in CM, but others go to the dealer on Huey Kaew Road. Personal preferences. Only way I'm gonna let some "Somchi" work on mine is if it breaks down and I'm a long way from a Honda dealership. And then only enough to get me to Honda.

Aftermarket ad-ons is one thing - shops are usually cheaper than Honda, but for service & maint - Honda only

Thanks, I will start going to Honda now then, The shops i have been to have given me nothing but trouble. I will look around tomorrow for the Honda dealers. There are some electrical problems with my CBR. The lights are very dim and driving through country lanes i can see nothing! Honda it is from now on then!

Thanks, I will start going to Honda now then, The shops i have been to have given me nothing but trouble. I will look around tomorrow for the Honda dealers. There are some electrical problems with my CBR. The lights are very dim and driving through country lanes i can see nothing! Honda it is from now on then!

If you're having some electrical problems, that might be what's causing the light to be dim. However, if they don't find anything wrong with that, then try changing the bulb. I noticed that mine wasn't as bright after about 6-7 months as it was when I bought it. Took to Honda, my mech grinned and said "new light", put a new bulb in and it was as good as new again.

Went to an event in Chiang Mai and didn't realize I was parking in the CBR-150, red only, section..... Amazing how many of us are having fun on these 9 cubic inch bikes!

Reminds me of the time I went to Tesco Hang Dong. I parked my tricolor all the way down at the end, with no other bikes or scooters around. Come out half hour later and there's another tricolor, plus a red carbed model parked next to me. Sort of like a "CBR ONLY" zone.

:D

Any one has this problem?

Going 80km/h on the road and the bike suddenly goes into neutral, pretty much redlined the engine <_<.

Had it check at Honda, they fiddled/adjusted the clutch cable. :blink:

Is there any underlying problem? Or is the clutch cable adjustment the right fix? What really scares me is not knowing when it's going to happen again. Losing power when you need it isn't really a good thing.

Happens to me on occasion. Did it twice two days ago going 140 kph, and exceeded past the redline at about 14k rpm. (aftermarket cdi- no rev limiter) You can really here the valves tapping when that happens !

Engine is still alive and this is around the 30th time its happened at similar rpm range.

Most of the time its my fault for shifting fast and not nudging the gear lever up solidly. Bike is the second model year carbed CBR 150.

There are a couple of pegs that lock the shift drum in place which i think are the culprits, but not bad enough to be a concern.

Went to an event in Chiang Mai and didn't realize I was parking in the CBR-150, red only, section..... Amazing how many of us are having fun on these 9 cubic inch bikes!

I think I can relate a bit...:lol:

post-118861-0-35614200-1322618857_thumb.

Any one has this problem?

Going 80km/h on the road and the bike suddenly goes into neutral, pretty much redlined the engine <_<.

Had it check at Honda, they fiddled/adjusted the clutch cable. :blink:

Is there any underlying problem? Or is the clutch cable adjustment the right fix? What really scares me is not knowing when it's going to happen again. Losing power when you need it isn't really a good thing.

I've had the same problem too, it is a bit scarey. As KRS1 said it seems to be from not being firm enough with shifting. I had the cable adjusted too which seemed to help a bit, i wonder if changing to a different oil (lighter/heavier?) would help? Never had this problem with the carbed 150, but it had 40k kms on it when i bought it.

API-Tech have taken the street version of the ECM/ECU off their website (the ‘unlimited’ programmable version is still available), so I guess once it appears in the shop section it will be available again.

http://www.apitechonline.com/Shopping/index.php?route=product/category&path=116

Finally got the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tyres fitted. The rear tyre would sit a bit better if it had the extra 1/2” that the CBR250 rim has, but it is still okay. Haven’t done many miles yet so can’t comment much on ride/handling comparison with the IRC tyres, but ride does feel a little smoother over bumps.

post-70604-0-83762200-1323682277_thumb.j