Does Thailand have a similar Road Driving Law?

Seeall

While crawling through a local Thai Circle (Roundabout) the other day (After Driving here for over 10 Years..) as we all do because most do not heed the simple "Give way to the right" or

in fact have ever heard of it.. the result of course are traffic jams which are oppisote to the intention of the goverment trying to  make easy, efficient and cheap intersections.  Often we see the traffic police at these locations waving drivers through as the drivers get confused.

Here is a traffic rule from another  country that shows a scenario that I did not see covered in my Thai driving test, unless I messed that one.  Food for thought and safe driving all!

1.JPG

Too many moving parts to Thai people! Can't ask this kind from them! They want people pass the driving test!

But many place where is same "value" crossing here , they have put mirror to watch if car coming from right! 

Edited by 2 is 1

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Two roundabouts in Buriram were removed because the locals just couldn't handle them ............................ traffic lights were installed instead. 

Thailand driving regulations here:-

ThaiDriving (2018_03_23 05_25_41 UTC).pdf 256.54 kB · 2 downloads

Hey, these were in the exams?  During my test I recall one multichoice was which one can you NOT drive on the road: 1/ A Car 2/  A Tank 3/ - A pickup with a rack in the windscreen 4/ A Bike 

There is a roundabout here in Maechan , a little while ago there was a new transmission pole being installed by the roundabout on the right.  The roads leading to the roundabout were coned off for half the road width so people could make a left or right turn at junctions before the roundabout . But no , ignored the cones and road blocks , came to the roundabout and went round it the wrong way ,anticlockwise. I was just watching while having a coffee. Amazing !

• Like 2

I've never understood this '4-way stop' business. It seems - and IS - a recipe for complete chaos, especially here in Thailand but also, as apparent in the OP, in more advanced driving cultures such as Australia.

Much as I dislike it when people say " ... in my country ...", I'm going to do that here.

In UK, at every crossroad (as in OP) I can remember, mostly in my part of UK but also many more rural areas, (and yes, I'm sure there are a very small number of exceptions) one road is designated as a major road, having priority - no signs or painted lines impede progress. The other is a minor road and gives way to traffic on the major road. There might be a 'Stop' sign, there'll almost certainly be lines painted on the minor road indicating 'stop and give way'. It seems such an easy road layout to install.

Seems to work extremely well and eliminates confusion to an overwhelming extent.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you think that is strange you should try the Milton Keynes Magic roundabout 5/6 roundabouts with traffic able to go both ways round!!!

6D72FF46-ED4A-4478-9F74-F3DE393665F7.jpeg.e7c6640e0c6b4cacd2e4f52c04477280.jpeg

Ha Ha! Done that one and Hemel Hempstead many times. They're not really as confusing as they appear.

Apologise rvaviator, I realised I should have included that 'not' after you 'liked' the post so you might want to withdraw your 'like'.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you think that is strange you should try the Milton Keynes Magic roundabout 5/6 roundabouts with traffic able to go both ways round!!!

6D72FF46-ED4A-4478-9F74-F3DE393665F7.jpeg.e7c6640e0c6b4cacd2e4f52c04477280.jpeg
the original was in Hemel Hempstead4D312F49-1B5A-4009-B82C-3A93B25D46EE.jpeg.fe891964ab59ab181b929b5f1f713fa1.jpeg

1B47A75F-7F5C-420D-A857-21F430173CD7.jpeg.2ae69f6cc25884b411636b80f593f997.jpeg

You're talking about the one in Swindon of course, which I've been through and survived a few times. ????

Edited by Moonlover

1 minute ago, MartinL said:

Ha Ha! Done that one many times. It's not really as confusing as it seems.

The traffic problems in the first day and month that the HH one was introduced were epic though. Over 2 hours delays in getting through, almost but not quite as bad as the older Bangkok traffic jams.

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I remember as a young man getting of the ferry at Zebrugge. First time I had ever had to drive on the right.

What was the first thing the Belgians expected me to navigate?

A roundabout. 

That wasn’t too bad. The French “priorité à gauche” except on virtually all major roads so you forget it’s there was rather more “exciting” I found.

drive on a major road in town then have to stop for someone from a side street???

Edited by sometimewoodworker

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:
13 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You're talking about the one in Swindon of course, which I've been through and survived a few times. ????

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No, the Swindon one came after Hemel and Milton, there are about 6 of these beasts now

OK, you might well be talking about Milton Keynes, (not been there) but, confusingly, the pictures you posted were, very clearly Swindon.

Footie fans will know that it's just south of the Swindon Town ground. The 'no through road' exit to the top right is the entrance to their car park.

Been there, done that! Have a safe day. ????

But @Seeall  what would 'you' have answered re your OP A/B/C/D question?

- if you had not yet already seen the Answer  

But Re Roundabouts - in LOS; it is he who is going Straight though, steals priority from he who is on his Right yet turning Right!

Sadly 'Give way to the right/left, those on the roundabout' can never work here, simply because of the first two words 'give way.'

Phuket's roundabout is sealed off on two sides most of the time. https://goo.gl/maps/x1z44enRfPKStkWL6 

For a country that has phrases 'greng jai' and 'mee nam jai' and them often using these phrases to talk about what wonderful people they are, the simple truth is that there are too many selfish pr*cks and everyone else is passive. The problem starts long before they get anywhere near a vehicle, and would take many generations to cure.

Traffic Circles in Thailand? How many more road fatalities do they need!

They have the Dolphin Roundabout in Pattaya, but it has been closed off, for years. Too much blood on the street was affecting the water colour on the beach.

1 hour ago, Grumpy one said:

Sydney's west had 1 better in the 80's 

A large roundabout WITH traffic lights  

It was different  :omfg:

If your talking about the one on Port Hacking Road, they turned the lights on in the peak traffic hours, it was supposed to increase the traffic flow and reduce accidents, it had five enters/exits it just didn’t work in the end they took the roundabout away and just left the lights.

If they introduced one here it would provide marvelous entertainment.